Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    That shows how much the omnibus being on Friday affected the timeshift for the EastEnders Friday episode. The timeshift for the Friday episodes looked suspiciously low compared to the other episodes of the week.

George Gently doesn't add much in timeshift does it?
    Hi I don't get how the omnibus being on Friday affects episode rating can u please explain?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi I don't get how the omnibus being on Friday affects episode rating can u please explain?

What happened was that a few of us noticed how in consolidated ratings the timeshift for the Friday episode seemed smaller than for the other EastEnders episodes during the week. Then Neil VW pointed out that the timeshift for the Friday episode was mistakenly being added to the omnibus that was on BBC1 on Friday nights.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    The difference is you are assuming 800k for HD while dullugi figure indicates 600k. Either way its done ok although a slight drop this week and it cant afford any more drops really.

I'd resolve against assuming HD figures to be honest, dullugi has assumed a 500k HD rating (it got 5.5m without it and they have given 6m with it). It got an overnight HD rating of 490k so 500k seems too low, but H's 800k seems too high. About 600k would seem roughly right, which would take it to about 6.1m (6.7m inc +1), but as I say HD time shift figures can be a bit volatile so I wouldn't read too much into them.

It's doing pretty well for a new drama that has had to self-start. It could probably drop a bit further and still get a renewal, although obviously they wouldn't want that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened was that a few of us noticed how in consolidated ratings the timeshift for the Friday episode seemed smaller than for the other EastEnders episodes during the week. Then Neil VW pointed out that the timeshift for the Friday episode was mistakenly being added to the omnibus that was on BBC1 on Friday nights.
    Oh thanks:).
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference is you are assuming 800k for HD while dullugi figure indicates 600k. Either way its done ok although a slight drop this week and it cant afford any more drops really.

Well I'm not sure where dullugj got that figure from but I'm guessing the HD for this drama would be in line with Safe House seeing as they both got similar overnight ratings.

And your correct it can't afford another drop, but I think it held up well considering the competition rose over 6m at 9pm, up over 2m from last week.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    retroguy wrote: »
    Getting slightly off topic here but

Do you think the two week West End revival of Wnose Line Is It Anyway may lead to a national tour if successful

And supposing a new TV version were to be commissioned would Clive want to return as host

I went to the unofficial Fringe version last August and met Clive Anderson lovely chap he is

I'm sure they would tour it and I'm sure Clive would be up for hosting a revival but there are plenty of people who could do that role like Dara O'Briain or David Mitchell.
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see CSI is to come to an end. C5 will no doubt be hoping that Cyber can pull in the same figures for them to replace it.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 will still get something from CSI, either 6 episodes of a TV movie, but yeah its the end of CSI :(

Dont want to judge Cyber yet as ive not seen it.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    Channel 5 will still get something from CSI, either 6 episodes of a TV movie, but yeah its the end of CSI :(

Dont want to judge Cyber yet as ive not seen it.
    At least they will be able to promote the last ever episode accordingly now they know for sure. I expect it will get a nice boost.

Regarding Cyber I trust the general consensus on it is probably right and it's destined to flop. I thought of the two they picked up NCIS: New Orleans was most likely to be a hit and even that has only done okay, so given the reviews Cyber has had I can't see it performing remotely well.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    George Gently doesn't add much in timeshift does it?

It added 1m didnt it? Although that is a bit lower than some dramas these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    At least they will be able to promote the last ever episode accordingly now they know for sure. I expect it will get a nice boost.

Regarding Cyber I trust the general consensus on it is probably right and it's destined to flop. I thought of the two they picked up NCIS: New Orleans was most likely to be a hit and even that has only done okay, so given the reviews Cyber has had I can't see it performing remotely well.

I always thought Cyber was an odd commission. Why commission a spinoff of a show that no longer rated particularly well itself and the other spinoffs had all ended? Seemed like a bizarre move and I'm not surprised it hasn't done well (although it somehow scraped a second season). It reminds me a bit of when NBC tried Law & Order: LA even though the main version had ended and SVU (the last remaining version) was on its last legs. That one didn't go well either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It added 1m didnt it? Although that is a bit lower than some dramas these days.

1m seems low for a BBC1 drama generally.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 3s3 seconds ago
    #BenefitsStreet returned to C4 at 9m with excellent 2.95m/13.5% (Total) @LoveProdHouse http://www.overnights.tv

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 9s9 seconds ago
    ITV's #SafeHouse figures were up, with 4.7m/21.6% vs last week's 4.4m/18.6% @eleventhhourtv http://www.overnights.tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benefits Street way down on last year which is good to see. Can't see it making the same impact this time.

Safe House up a bit for the finale. Wonder if it'll be back?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    I always thought Cyber was an odd commission. Why commission a spinoff of a show that no longer rated particularly well itself and the other spinoffs had all ended? Seemed like a bizarre move and I'm not surprised it hasn't done well (although it somehow scraped a second season). It reminds me a bit of when NBC tried Law & Order: LA even though the main version had ended and SVU (the last remaining version) was on its last legs. That one didn't go well either.
    I agree with you.

It may be had more to do with satisfying international demand than anything else. I'd imagine even now CSI is probably still one of CBS Studios' most exported shows worldwide, and there are probably still quite a few territories where it does really well unlike the UK and US. Plus Cyber will be a lot cheaper to make than Vegas.

I hope we see more ambition from CBS in the next few seasons than has been the case the last couple though else I really worry for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 3s3 seconds ago
    #BenefitsStreet returned to C4 at 9m with excellent 2.95m/13.5% (Total) @LoveProdHouse http://www.overnights.tv

Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 9s9 seconds ago
    ITV's #SafeHouse figures were up, with 4.7m/21.6% vs last week's 4.4m/18.6% @eleventhhourtv http://www.overnights.tv
    Benefits Street way down on last year which is good to see. Can't see it making the same impact this time.

I'm glad Benefits Street is down. Benefits claimants are Channel 4's new gypsies for point and stare television. Safe House had decent overnights. You expect more on a Monday though. I think it has done enough for a second outing.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Looks like Safe House had a fair few more viewers than BBC One and BBC Two combined, so it did take advantage of weaker than usual competition.

Benefits Street did very well but C4 were probably hoping more would stick around for The Night Bus (0.87m/5.9%).
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    I agree with you.

It may be had more to do with satisfying international demand than anything else. I'd imagine even now CSI is probably still one of CBS Studios' most exported shows worldwide, and there are probably still quite a few territories where it does really well unlike the UK and US. Plus Cyber will be a lot cheaper to make than Vegas.

I hope we see more ambition from CBS in the next few seasons than has been the case the last couple though else I really worry for them.

I think a re-tooling for the second season is desperately needed. Some of the supporting cast members need to go. Perhaps if they need a 'tech' person they could have the rotation style similar to what was adopted by Bones. This would give them access to several different personalities and variations for future storylines. I would like to see more of Peter MacNicol's character out in the field as well.

The problem with Cyber is that there is a good show there, it just needs to be a lot less cheesy and even though it's part of CSI, it needs to be less like CSI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    I see CSI is to come to an end. C5 will no doubt be hoping that Cyber can pull in the same figures for them to replace it.

I'm going to miss CSI. The original is still very watchable. I don't think Cyber will last long. One more season and then gone. The CSI franchise has lost its lustre at CBS. NCIS is their cash cow now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Safe House had a fair few more viewers than BBC One and BBC Two combined, so it did take advantage of weaker than usual competition.

Benefits Street did very well but C4 were probably hoping more would stick around for The Night Bus (0.87m/5.9%).
    Benefits Street was a phenomenon in its first series. Still doing well but down on the previous series. Thought Night Bus would be over 1m with that lead-in. Don't tell me people were watching Episodes for once!
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    EastEnders:

Mon: 7.25m [+1.11m}
    Tue: 7.2m [+760k]
    Thu: 6.63m [+850k]
    Fri: 6.73m [+1.02m] **proper timeshift now omnibus has ended

Avg.: 6.95m [+935k]

Unsurprisingly the time shift doubles on Fridays without the omnibus, and slightly increases the Thursday time shift too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Benefits Street was a phenomenon in its first series. Still doing well but down on the previous series. Thought Night Bus would be over 1m with that lead-in. Don't tell me people were watching Episodes for once!
    Episodes was under the million mark. That will surprise nobody !
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Safe House had more plot holes than you could shake a stick at. Good cast let down by poor writing IMO. But it will average well over 6m and so it will probably be back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episodes was under the million mark. That will surprise nobody !

Episodes is such a poor performing comedy but it returns each time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Monday's Overnights

BBC One
    19:00 The One Show: 3.43m (19.7%)
    20:00 EastEnders: 6.51m (31.1%)
    22:00 BBC News at Ten: 3.77m (21.9%)

BBC Two
    19:00 Antiques Road Trip: 1.06m (5.8%)
    20:00 The Great Chelsea Garden Challenge: 1.91m (9.0%)
    21:00 70 Million Animal Mummies: Egypt's Dark Secret: 0.99m (4.6%)

Channel 4 (exc. +1)
    20:00 Damned Designs: 1.51m (7.1%)
    21:00 Benefits Street: 2.51m (11.5%)
    22:00 The Night Bus: 0.87m (5.9%)

Channel 5 (exc. +1)
    20:00 World's Angriest Caught on Camera: 0.73m (3.4%)
    21:00 Gotham: 0.83m (3.8%)
    22:00 Person of Interest: 0.55m (3.5%)

BBC Three
    19:30 Top Gear: 0.32m (1.6%)
    20:30 Sherlock: 0.53m (2.4%)
    22:00 EastEnders: 0.35m (2.0%)

ITV2 (exc. +1)
    19:00 You've Been Framed!: 0.19m (1.0%)
    20:30 Two and a Half Men: 0.19m (0.9%)
    22:00 Celebrity Juice: 0.24m (1.5%)

E4 (exc. +1)
    19:00 Hollyoaks: 0.69m (4.0%)