Electric/radio dog fence

Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
Forum Member
Has anyone got one of these?

My mum could really do with one on her farm as her spinger spaniel is ruled by his nose and can run for miles, but I don't know how humane they are.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you mean a fence that will give the dog an electric shock if it touches it & not a collar that the owner can use to give it a shock if it stray too far?

In either case, my personal opinion is that these are cruel & can terrify dogs. They don't know why they are getting a shock & this can result in making them petrified to even go out of the house., especially if it apears to the dog that it happens randomly. I've heard of awful cases where dogs can tremble & shake out of fear just when the front door is opened if they've had such experiences from electric fences.

Wouldn't your mum be better off taking her dog to training classes to teach a good recall? If this is not practical or the springer still just takes off when off lead (& living on a farm must be heaven for such a dog with all those lovely smells & things to chase!) then what about taking the dog to tracking classes, teaching retrieval by scent or all the things that springers were bred for & comes so naturally to them. If the dog is able to act out the behaviours that it it so motivated to do but in a controlled & "useful" manner, maybe it would not be so keen to leg it whenever it is let out!!
  • Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    The idea of them is perfect but I worry about, he often runs into neighbouring fields but does follow his nose out onto the road which is the real worry.
    I spoke to someone who only used it once and couldn't bear to do it again.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally am not that keen on them, and you would have to be aware of the legalities of putting one up. As far as I know, clear warning signs need to be erected, so as protect you for any possible litigation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    I personally am not that keen on them, and you would have to be aware of the legalities of putting one up. As far as I know, clear warning signs need to be erected, so as protect you for any possible litigation.

Dog radio fences don't work like stock fences. The dog has a receiver collar and the fence, a buried wire, is the transmitter so it doesn't affect anyone not wearing a collar set to the same wavelength.
    There are various advantages and disadvantages to them and a lot depends on how they are introduced to the dog. In some situations a good recall just isn't going to do it as the dog is "over the hill and far away"by then
    but if the dog isn't introduced correctly the fence will not work to contain the dog it will just learn to rush through the fence, or it will avoids the whole outside area. To start with the fence is marked out for the dog with warning flags and it must be taught to keep it's distance.
    The warning tone which is supposed to help the dog avoid getting shocked can also cause problems if it sounds like any other electronic tones that the dog comes across. Some idiots also forget the dog is wearing the collar so take it over the wire for a walk without removing or turning off the collar, causing it to be shocked .
    They are also used for cats.
    Some people report good success with them but they need to be carefully considered as the cat or dog for example can be trapped if attacked by other dogs, or teased by people who can come and go. The fence may keep your mother's dog in, it doesn't keep anything else out. A suitably high, secure physical fence is a better answer, even if it gives the dog a smaller area.