Isn't it astonishing in this day and age that homophobic attacks still occur?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    That's how i feel.
    But some gay people don't seem to accept others views that they would prefer their children to grow up in a straight relationship and have a family. It might not turn out that way but there is nothing wrong wanting that.

True, but being gay doesn't automatically mean you can't have a family.

I can better understand why parents may not want their children to go through all the prejudice that comes with being gay, because it can be tough.

I don't care whether my children turn out gay, straight or somewhere in between, as long as they're happy. The only thing I'm concerned about is that they don't turn out racist, homophobic or intolerant in any way, and I'll do everything in my power to ensure that doesn't happen.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    marvola45 wrote: »
    True, but being gay doesn't automatically mean you can't have a family.

I can better understand why parents may not want their children to go through all the prejudice that comes with being gay, because it can be tough.

I don't care whether my children turn out gay, straight or somewhere in between, as long as they're happy. The only thing I'm concerned about is that they don't turn out racist, homophobic or intolerant in any way, and I'll do everything in my power to ensure that doesn't happen.

That aswell. Being gay is tougher i imagine and some of the gay people i've known over the years have told me that given a choice they'd rather be straight.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's how i feel.
    But some gay people don't seem to accept others views that they would prefer their children to grow up in a straight relationship and have a family. It might not turn out that way but there is nothing wrong wanting that.
    I know we've pointed out before that having a family has nothing to do with your sexual orientation. Do you support gay adoption/ fertility treatment for lesbians etc? I suppose at the moment it's less likely for gay couples to have kids, just because it's harder for them.

(I'm a straight woman who would nevertheless have disappointed you greatly if I were your child, as I have no intention of having kids. My parents are a bit disappointed, but very aware that it's my life...)
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a cruel and ridiculous thing to say ,
    i think language /words are used to flippantly sometimes
    no thought goes into communication sometimes .

I was certainly shocked and dumbfounded and he had a look of disgust on his face whilst saying it. Just never expected to hear such a hardline, bigoted view from this person.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People will always find a reason to hate others. Whether that be race, sexuality, hair colour, etc etc. If 50% of the population had to wear red shirts and the other 50% had to wear blue shirts you could bet your bottom dollar there would be wars between the two, genocide, hate campaigns etc etc. It's just human nature I'm afraid.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been here before and have been accused of being a selfish pig for wanting grand children.

I'd love all my kids to grow up in straight relationships like i have and my parents and then to expand the family.

No doubt i will be told the ins and outs of gay couples and kids which i accept but if i'm asked which i prefer i'd rather they were straight.

No, I can understand the grandchildren thing and am not having a go.

Personally I'd HATE to have grandchildren; but then I'd hate to have children as well, so it's a moot point.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I told my dad "If I was straight I might not have wanted children anyway so what's the difference?" when he mentioned not having grandchildren when I came out to him.

I have not one paternal bone in my body and don't especially like children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah Im straight as a die, love looking at the gentlemen! but I have already told my parents there will be no grandchildren. Not sure how they feel with me being the only one but tough!
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    I know we've pointed out before that having a family has nothing to do with your sexual orientation. Do you support gay adoption/ fertility treatment for lesbians etc? I suppose at the moment it's less likely for gay couples to have kids, just because it's harder for them.

(I'm a straight woman who would nevertheless have disappointed you greatly if I were your child, as I have no intention of having kids. My parents are a bit disappointed, but very aware that it's my life...)

My opinion on a gay adoption is that if that is what people want to do then fair enough as long as the child is brought up properly.

However if you asked me if i'm glad i was brought up by 2 straight parents rather than 2 gay ones i'd have to say yes.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    People will always find a reason to hate others. Whether that be race, sexuality, hair colour, etc etc. If 50% of the population had to wear red shirts and the other 50% had to wear blue shirts you could bet your bottom dollar there would be wars between the two, genocide, hate campaigns etc etc. It's just human nature I'm afraid.

Everyone knows the red shirts are evil. They eat their weakest children you know. God is on team blue ;):D
    Forum Member
    My opinion on a gay adoption is that if that is what people want to do then fair enough as long as the child is brought up properly.

However if you asked me if i'm glad i was brought up by 2 straight parents rather than 2 gay ones i'd have to say yes.

How can you compare? You were brought up by 2 straight parents and not 2 gay ones so without experience of upbringing by both types how do you know which is preferable?
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    How can you compare? You were brought up by 2 straight parents and not 2 gay ones so without experience of upbringing by both types how do you know which is preferable?

I can't compare but without wanting to be insulting i remember my school days well and i don't think it would have gone down too well in the classroom if i told my friends i had 2 dads rather than a mum.

I'd have been picked on for sure. Sorry but that's the truth.

Suppose i prefer an easier life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »

And that's before you bring single parents into the mix... And grandparents, foster parents, aunts, uncles, older siblings...
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really should have said you were gay, his face would have been priceless, assholes like that are all talk!

In hindsight, you're probably right! I wasn't "out" at the time(as they say) and that didn't present itself as the perfect opportunity :eek:
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's some horrible people out there - my best friend is gay, she's had bottles smashed over her head, her and her girlfriend get loads of abuse whenever they go out anywhere :(

It's ridiculous. EVERYONE deserves to find someone they love, regardless of their sex, gender, size, disability, anything. As long as people are happy, who are we to judge them :)
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cool - I was just worried that you might be anti-gay-adoption but also say a gay kid couldn't give you grandchildren, which'd be a bit hypocritical :D

I'm glad I was brought up by two loving parents :)
    Forum Member
    I can't compare but without wanting to be insulting i remember my school days well and i don't think it would have gone down too well in the classroom if i told my friends i had 2 dads rather than a mum.

I'd have been picked on for sure. Sorry but that's the truth.

Suppose i prefer an easier life.

Oh I'm not trying to get at you or pick holes in what you said, I was just interested in what you had to say honestly :D

I think you're right in some ways, it is probably easier to have to heterosexual parents although it is no more or no less "right" than having 2 gay parents. Families these days come in all shapes, sizes and lineups.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member

How the hell would you know.... You're a kid, so how would straight parents be better than gay ones....
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tribade wrote: »
    How the hell would you know.... You're a kid, so how would straight parents be better than gay ones....

At a guess when you got to school and the bullying about having two Dads/two Mums started.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it becomes more common place to have two same sex parents so will tolerance of it, however kids can be cruel and unfortunately this could result in bullying and there is nothing you could do to stop it.

Two same sex parents could make better parents than opposite sex couples, why ever not? It is just that comments made in the playground made by children have normally been heard at home and could have a detrimental effect
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not against gay/lesbian parenting, its the home environment and love for the child which is the most important.

Whilst I selfishly hope all my children are straight simply because, sad but true, their lives would probably be easier, I certainly wouldnt be devastated if they were gay.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Isn't it astonishing in this day and age that homophobic attacks still occur?

No, not in the slightest bit astonishing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedlem wrote: »
    I agree! Whilst on the subject a few years ago, a work colleague remarked "It's disgusting but I respect the ones who commit suicide, at least they've done the right thing". I didn't know what to say but I certainly wasn't going to tell him I was gay at that point. I was really shocked because he seemed to be a thoroughly decent guy.

That's so cruel and I would've slapped them for saying that.

Well someone who I disowned as a friend when one of our friends came out said that he expressed disapproval and said he could no longer be his friend, and I was curious as to why and he said "I'm just hateful to gays. Colour is sometimes fine, well in some cases anyway they aren't so messed up."

I just... uh walked away and never talked to him again.

I'm not surprised I've seen to much racism, homophobia from people to be surprised by anything people say anymore.
    Forum Member
    tribade wrote: »

Read what i said.
  • NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/07/05/gay-couple-attacked-by-15-strong-mob-in-bradford/

I'm not homosexual myself, but I find that there are still some people with Victorian values towards homosexuality or bisexuality frankly shocking and astounding! :O

It is. I am not gay but some people ( family included) that I love a lot are. I really think it shows a lot about the attackers that they are so obsessed with what other adults do in bed (or anywhere else:D). Makes me wonder if they have issues re their own sexuality. The only person whose sexuality I care about is my partners.