Family Problems....at the end of our rope!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have been having problems with my little brother (he's 26 this Nov) for years now in regards to stealing, lying etc and it is getting to the point where I can't stand to be in the same room with him!

We've not had the greatest of childhoods (who hasn't though!) and he uses this as an excuse constantly (althought to be fair, his wasn't any worse than my own or my older sisters).

He has a daughter of his own now and we all thought this would be the making of him but alas we've been proven right and he's screwing that up too.

Is compulsive lying a mental health issue? I'm not sure what advice I'm looking for to be fair but I wondered if anyone had any experiences and if so, how did they deal with it?

Comments

• Sherry TrifleSherry Trifle Posts: 2,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be well off the mark here and apologies if I am, but just something that occurred to me - might he be lying and stealing in order to support any habit at all, for example any substance abuse, or gambling, or compulsive shopping even?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be well off the mark here and apologies if I am, but just something that occurred to me - might he be lying and stealing in order to support any habit at all, for example any substance abuse, or gambling, or compulsive shopping even?

I know he smokes the odd bit of hash Sherry but never thought it might've become a problem.

To be fair he's lied and stole for years now and it just keeps getting worse and worse!