Caravans - WHY?????

bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
Forum Member
I just don't get the thinking behind owning a caravan, to my way of thinking you either -
a) Go camping in a tent
b)Stay in a hotel, b&b, hostel etc or
c)Rough it in a shop doorway for a few nights

Can anyone explain the thought process behind buying one of these artificial snail shells.......:confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because camping in a tent is hard work if you do it for any length of time. Fun when you are younger with kids but as you get older I think the novelty wanes.

So you take a caravan to a campsite instead. Same type of holiday, but less hassle.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Top Gear did an episode on caravans and came to the same sort of conclusion. I would also like to add that they are a pain on the motorway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Top Gear did an episode on caravans and came to the same sort of conclusion. I would also like to add that they are a pain on the motorway

Top gear hates caravans!

I haven't got one by the way, but we are camping for a few weeks in the summer.

We are in a caravan for Glastonbury though. It has a shower!! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in a caravan for nearly seven years. Was okay. I prefer the bricks and mortar these days, though. I am absolutely dumbfounded by people thinking that a caravan holiday will be fun - 'getting away from it all' by packing yourself and family into a 14 x 6 foot tin box in the height of summer seems like a really bad idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elsquid wrote: »
    I lived in a caravan for nearly seven years. Was okay. I prefer the bricks and mortar these days, though. I am absolutely dumbfounded by people thinking that a caravan holiday will be fun - 'getting away from it all' by packing yourself and family into a 14 x 6 foot tin box in the height of summer seems like a really bad idea.

Depends where you go and what type of holiday.

For instance, the thought of a static caravan somewhere in the UK sends shivers down my spine! Wouldn't want that kind of holiday personally.

But some people would.

Each to their own!
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    jon8769 wrote: »
    Because camping in a tent is hard work if you do it for any length of time. Fun when you are younger with kids but as you get older I think the novelty wanes.

So you take a caravan to a campsite instead. Same type of holiday, but less hassle.

Sorry but you'll never convince me that staying in a caravan is camping, i've spent plenty of time sleeping in tents over the years and never found it hard work...

And yes, they DO clog up the motorways AND seem to cause more than a few accidents!:(
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeps the riff-raff out of the hotels
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Sorry but you'll never convince me that staying in a caravan is camping, i've spent plenty of time sleeping in tents over the years and never found it hard work...

And yes, they DO clog up the motorways AND seem to cause more than a few accidents!:(

Depends what kind of camping you do. If you have a big tent, kitchen set up and camp over a longer period of time in variable weather it can be quite hard work - particularly the setting up and packing up parts. It can take up to 2 hours for us to pitch our camp properly.

Whereas in a caravan you just turn up and do a few things and you are done. Which is especially appealing to some.

Clearly not you. But that's fair enough.

Not everyone likes the same things.

As for clogging up the roads: I concur. I come from the West Country and driving down there in the summer is hellish as you no sooner overtake one caravan then you are trailing behind another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I wouldnt want to spend my actual summer holiday in a caravan but I have been in one for a few days/nights for a long weekend on the south east coast of Scotland. We had a fantastic time,the van was HUGE (3 bedrooms) and total luxuary for a caravan. Ot even had a large veranda thing with sundeck, heaters and a bbq! It was on the beach front and we had beautiful weather. I would defo do it again for long weekend in the summer.

Just summat a bit different innit?!
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't get the thinking behind owning a caravan, to my way of thinking you either -
    a) Go camping in a tent

Can anyone explain the thought process behind buying one of these artificial snail shells.......:confused:

My parents are considering buying a small caravan. They would prefer to stay in tents, it's what they've done for the last 40 years, but they are getting on a bit and my dad had a stroke a couple of years ago and has less mobility, so isn't able to camp in a tent. He has very little interest in the sorts of holidays that involve hotels or b&bs, so a caravan would be ideal for them. They already have a small VW campervan, which they've used for a few years - it was perfect for them because it's small enough to mean they can go anywhere and camp out in the wilds, but still have some comfort. It's not that practical for my dad to sleep in now though, although he can manage, so they are looking at caravans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Keeps the riff-raff out of the hotels

There is that too of course. :p
  • The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it, the freedom to move on after a few days if the caravan site isnt up to much.

And you get to annoy ***** who drive too close ;)
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    My parents are considering buying a small caravan. They would prefer to stay in tents, it's what they've done for the last 40 years, but they are getting on a bit and my dad had a stroke a couple of years ago and has less mobility, so isn't able to camp in a tent. He has very little interest in the sorts of holidays that involve hotels or b&bs, so a caravan would be ideal for them. They already have a small VW campervan, which they've used for a few years - it was perfect for them because it's small enough to mean they can go anywhere and camp out in the wilds, but still have some comfort. It's not that practical for my dad to sleep in now though, although he can manage, so they are looking at caravans.

Well that told me! :o
  • BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had quite a big one in our back-garden when I was young. Never actually used it to go caravaning(!), but was fun having mates over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    One day I'd love to be able to afford to head the East Coast of the US, hire a large motorhome, and then spend a month just exploring across the country.

I'd also love to own one of those VW campervans, but damn even the old ones are expensive now.
  • Arthur.CrumbleArthur.Crumble Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a) Go camping in a tent

can you run c) by me again:confused:
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    Take an awning, best of both worlds.

We went on Caravanning holidays all over the UK and Europe for most of my childhood and never had a bad time. Used to fill up the Caravan with our bikes and other games and things and we could do loads of things when we got to the camp site.

A caravan on the motorway is no more of a pest than a lorry, coach, large van, tractor, other farm vehicles, any other vehicle towing something or just general bad/slow drivers.

Really don't see how the hatred for caravans is at all justified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One day I'd love to be able to afford to head the East Coast of the US, hire a large motorhome, and then spend a month just exploring across the country.

I'd also love to own one of those VW campervans, but damn even the old ones are expensive now.

We are going out to the states when they get their next total eclipse (think its 2017 off top of my head). Hiring a big RV and going to Wyoming (Grand Teton national park).

We are going to start saving soon to put money aside for it and save up as it'll cost a few thousand to do but so worth it.

Grand Teton park looks magnificent too! Will be amazing in a total eclipse. No doubt it will be mobbed with people but hey, still worth it.

http://www.raftinginthetetons.com/wp-content/uploads/17_5_orig.jpg
    Forum Member
    can you run c) by me again:confused:

Certainly, it's what i did on a number of occasions when i used to hitchhike round Europe! ;)
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    As someone who has never owned a car, I have broadly the same view about (what is usually) one person driving around in a 5-seat mobile living room.

If people insist on going everywhere with a 3-piece suite and hi-fi on wheels then why shouldn't they tow the beds and a kitchen sink too?
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caravans and Motorhomes are for rich people these days....anyone aware of the costs?
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    jon8769 wrote: »
    We are going out to the states when they get their next total eclipse (think its 2017 off top of my head). Hiring a big RV and going to Wyoming (Grand Teton national park).

We are going to start saving soon to put money aside for it and save up as it'll cost a few thousand to do but so worth it.

Grand Teton park looks magnificent too! Will be amazing in a total eclipse. No doubt it will be mobbed with people but hey, still worth it.

http://www.raftinginthetetons.com/wp-content/uploads/17_5_orig.jpg

Love that idea sounds brill I would also like to travel America in a motor home Just to see famous landmarks like route 66 it just sounds amazing :)
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Why? They only occupy one lane. If you can't overtake a caravan on a motorway then the problem is behind your steering wheel.

Caravanning has most of the fun of camping but you also get most home comforts including mains electricity these days. If you want the 'under a canvas' experience you can buy an awning and have everything.

I only struggle with the attraction of a camper van. Those seem to be a poor man's caravan with the added nuisance of having to lug them round all the time.. At least a caravan can be left parked while you drive around the area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    caravans and Motorhomes are for rich people these days....anyone aware of the costs?

You can hire caravans and campervans. No need to buy them.

I know people do buy them but personally I would have to use it a LOT to feel I was getting my money's worth out of it.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the easiest way to annoy Clarkson.