The Drop

MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
Forum Member
✭✭
A crime drama from the director of the Oscar-nominated Bullhead and starring Tom Hardy, James Gandolfini (his last ever film role before he passed) and Noomi Rapace.

I liked it, slow paced but it's a good little film. Nothing that we haven't ever seen before, but it's well acted and directed with a decent story and anyone who loves animals will fall in love with the dog.

There's some humour to be found throughout and the film is unintentionally funny in the last 10mins when it really shouldn't be but i guess it's upto you how you feel about the scene but the audience i was with laughed.

Tom Hardy is superb (his mannerism, his movement, his every look is completely mesmorising) as is Gandolfini. It's a shame his final big screen performance is playing a low-rent Tony Soprano but it is what it is.

Don't be fooled the by 'killer twist' tagline used on the trailer. There really isn't one. Not anything major anyway, this isn't The Usual Suspects or Sixth Sense territory.

Comments

• rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will try to see it as the cast does seem to be quite good.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was paced just right. I can't say a lot without giving away the plot but the "twist" was enough to make this a film that stands out above others of the same genre. There were hints along the way but I don't think it was possible to guess the outcome, which made it different. Definitely one of Tom Hardy's best roles.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting to, admittedly it doesn't really break any new ground but I thought it had an interesting collection of characters (brought to life by a talented cast) and appreciated it's slow build to a reasonably tense final act.

Overall it's a very decent dramatic thriller that did just enough to get an 8/10 from me...
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised more people haven't seen this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this the other week, decent film, but I was somewhat disappointed though, I thought there might be more to it than that.

My mini review in the other thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75743036&posted=1#post75743036