Options

Roadworks on M1 around Luton airport

Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm taking a flight out of Luton airport tomorrow morning. My airline (Easyjet) keeps emailing me with warnings about roadworks on the M1 affecting people getting to the airport.

I shall be aiming to arrive at Luton around 6am. I will be leaving there about 3pm on Friday.

Can anyone who has first hand experience of these roadworks tell me how bad the delays are? Am I likely to be affected badly at those times? (Was thinking it'll probably be hell on the Friday afternoon, but hoping between 5am and 6am it won't be too bad. Obviously it matters more to me when I'm arriving than when I'm leaving!)

Cheers in advance. :)

Comments

• Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes if you've got a very early flight to catch it's worth booking into a nearby hotel. It really does take away all the stress or maybe even the chance of missing your flight. I've booked at both Gatwick and Manchester in the past and then found out huge delays getting to the airport due to roadworks, accident etc but as I'm already there they have been stress free mornings. Most have cheap or even free parking if it's only for a few days.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    My OH is a security guard at Luton airport. Says there should be no problem at 6am - he came home that way this morning at about 5:15am and there was no traffic. That said, he reports that there are speed traps active and the police are enforcing them, so be careful. You've also got to factor in parking etc at the airport.

He says to leave plenty of time for check in though - he see loads of people who miss flights cos they thought it would be easy and it wasn't - the M1 can be 'interesting' at times depending on accidents etc. If you're running a bit late, you can use priority check in, which will cost £4 but gets you through more quickly.

Might take you longer on the way out due to the time (and it's Friday, so POETS day if you're a bit late!) Still, not as important with no flight to take.

Good luck!