Should people be criticised for not wearing a poppy?

MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Personally I don't think they should. It's a charity badge at the end of the day.

Comments

• GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Personally I don't think they should. It's a charity badge at the end of the day.

I agree with you that people have the right to wear them or not to. The poppy appeal always meant a lot to me as I have lost relatives and friends to war so every year I donate and wear a poppy, it never bothers me if other people don't wear them.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so either, just because someone isnt wearing a poppy shouldn't be an indication of anything at all,
    I sometimes wear one and sometimes I don't, I will sometimes stick one on my motorbike,
    But because someone might see me without one it doesn't mean I don't respect and appreciate our armed services, and only an ignorant judgemental (word I can't use here) would jump to such a conclusion,

My grandfather fought in one world war (spent 2 years as a POW) and was prevented from joining up for the other because he was a coal miner,

My father served in the British army from the age of 16 until his late 30s and even after that he was in the TA, and eventually worked for the TA as a civilian until his late 50s.
    he travelled all over the world with the army, and was 'in action' several times in various parts of the 'crumbling empire' and was badly injured once by what would be called an IED these days.
    So anyone making instant judgements against anyone because at that particular moment in time they happen not to be wearing a poppy, is obviously not worth a seconds concern.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTR Davo wrote: »
    I agree with you that people have the right to wear them or not to. The poppy appeal always meant a lot to me as I have lost relatives and friends to war so every year I donate and wear a poppy, it never bothers me if other people don't wear them.

As have I. Mainly WW2. I just feel the insistence on everyone on telly wear one or be criticised for not doing do is the opposite of what the intention is. This has recently extended to help for heroes wristbands in some circles. Ignoring the fact help for heroes should not exist if the government looked after it's ex service men properly.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As have I. Mainly WW2. I just feel the insistence on everyone on telly wear one or be criticised for not doing do is the opposite of what the intention is. This has recently extended to help for heroes wristbands in some circles. Ignoring the fact help for heroes should not exist if the government looked after it's ex service men properly.

I agree about people on TV it's so bloody contrived, there must be a huge box of poppies in every TV news room, so that no one is seen committing the 'sin' of being without one,

Not wearing one is not the same as saying "I don't appreciate the sacrifices of our service men and women" only an idiot would think it is,
  • misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    GTR Davo wrote: »

I agree completely. I donate and wear a poppy too.

Best

M
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you criticise somebody for not wearing a poppy?

In all seriousness anybody who does this must be dead from the neck up.

The whole bloody point is we live in a free country - ergo it's a free choice, ergo anybody who tries to force it on you is being just a teeny bit fascist.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for people wearing poppies and remembering the soldiers who have sacrificed themselves for this country, but why not just wear them on remembrance sunday or on armistice day (when its supposed to be worn), why does it go on for weeks and weeks?

We dedicate the days this year of 9th November (remembrance sunday) to 11th November (armistice day) to specifically remember those who have fallen, its a time where we specifically do this stuff but it seems to be extended out for a whole month now. Its bit overkill isn't? I haven't seen a TV presenter without one since last week.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Why would you criticise somebody for not wearing a poppy?

In all seriousness anybody who does this must be dead from the neck up.

The whole bloody point is we live in a free country - ergo it's a free choice, ergo anybody who tries to force it on you is being just a teeny bit fascist.

Yes. People are free to be disrespectful if they choose to do so.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Why do you think it's disrespectful? Why does everything have to be about public show?

Do you not think people are capable of remembering and acknowledging in their own way?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they shouldn't anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are free to be disrespectful if they choose to do so.
    Members of my family died in several wars under appalling circumstances for the right to your free speech.
    One of my sons fought for you.
    Do not ever presume that our family's decision to never wear poppies, that I was brought up to respect and understand, is disrespectful.

For once I am f'ing angry. >:(

Tomorrow morning I shall purchase a purple poppy to commemorate the poor dumb animals that had no choice but to do what they were told and sacrifice their lives, and do so for the rest of my life in the hope that dumb humans get the point.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No!....
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Political correctness rears its head. The Thought Police march into town.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I donate. I give my minutes of silence. But I don't wear a poppy. I don't think it's disrespectful to not wear one. Respect is a consideration, an action. Not a badge.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

Good god........
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because you don't actually wear your poppy it doesn't mean you haven't bought one or haven't contributed to the poppy appeal.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. Individual choice must always be respected.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member

This time of year does my head specifically because of this pointless and wasteful debate. It's just plastic and paper.

As well as a time to remember it should be time to learn about history and also to discuss the events, the impact it's had and the work of the British Legion.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    It is a personal matter and people should be free to choose as they please, without pressure from anyone.

People who look down on those who wear a remembrance poppy, because they wrongly believe it glamourises war, are just as annoying as those that try and force everybody to wear one.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but who is saying they should be criticised?
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wearing mine right now just in case someone thinks I'm being disrespectful and it's a bugger...the pin hurts like hell...maybe I should go and put some clothes on as well :confused:
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Political correctness rears its head. The Thought Police march into town.

This is nothing to do with Political Correctness.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,557
    Forum Member
    No is my answer to the question
    What is wrong is all those politicians who seem to wear a bigger sized poppy each year standing there head bowed mourning the dead servicemen when their actions sent many to a needless death and fail to provide decent housing for servicemen and their families Send them to war with the wrong equipment
    I put money in the collection tin each year but I will never wear a poppy as it's meaning has been hijacked by warmongers
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    It is a total nonsense to claim that not wearing a poppy is somehow disrespectful. I won't be wearing one but, as always, I will stop whatever I am doing to observe the 2 minutes' silence at 11am, and at the Villa game, on Remembrance Sunday where I will pay my respects to all the victims of war (human and animal) from all sides. It is also not disrespectful if you don't contribute to the British Legion. There are a huge number of charities and you cannot support every one. I wish them well but I just happen to support other charities as I do not have an infinite source of money.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Why do you think it's disrespectful? Why does everything have to be about public show?

Because some people are unable to be respectful without making a big public show of it.

The whole thing is actually more about them, than showing 'respect'.