Data usage

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
Forum Member
Just out of idle curiosity has anyone experienced high (800MB to 1.5GB) data usage over an 8 hour period when no Ethernet devices are connected to the router and wireless is turned off:confused:

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's strange. I was going to say that it could have maybe been Windows updates before I saw the rest of your post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    No obviously not :(
    Just found out it gets worse if you turn the router off and unplug from the phone line 1.95GB :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, this is a wind up. :D I should have been quick enough to click on in my last post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    zx50, I was referring to has anyone had any experience of this

However, problem sorted

This is what I received when I first made a complaint about unusual high data usage

“Let me clarify how we measure the usage on your account
    We monitor the connection between the router in your property and the exchange. As such, the data transferred down the line is calculated as your usage. As this is a closed link in the data transfer journey, there is no way the data can be incorrect.”

If you know, you are right and persist

“There was a 2nd router connected using your connection details we have now dropped that routers connection and blocked its access by forcing it to reset to the correct details.
    This was an error on our system and it has now been resolved.”

So much for the
    “this is a closed link in the data transfer journey, there is no way the data can be incorrect.”
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dim-Star wrote: »
    zx50, I was referring to has anyone had any experience of this

However, problem sorted

This is what I received when I first made a complaint about unusual high data usage

“Let me clarify how we measure the usage on your account
    We monitor the connection between the router in your property and the exchange. As such, the data transferred down the line is calculated as your usage. As this is a closed link in the data transfer journey, there is no way the data can be incorrect.”

If you know, you are right and persist

“There was a 2nd router connected using your connection details we have now dropped that routers connection and blocked its access by forcing it to reset to the correct details.
    This was an error on our system and it has now been resolved.”

So much for the
    “this is a closed link in the data transfer journey, there is no way the data can be incorrect.”

Okay. Fair enough. So the ISP cocked up. I thought it was a wind up because of the data still being downloaded when the router was cut off from any electricity.
  • cliversclivers Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    you've failed to tell us what competent ISP you are with?