TalkTalk's Huawei hg533 Router.....

late8late8 Posts: 7,175
Forum Member
.... what a pile of crap!

2 Days since we swapped from BT to TalkTalk and the WiFi signal for the router supplied is terrible. No matter what I did (followed online guides and channel changes etc) the WiFi signal strength and speed was crap.

I Put the BT Home Hub back on (which connected automatically to TalkTalks server) and the difference was noticable...

0.5Mbps on the Huawei hg533 box ,,, 12.6Mbps on the Home Hub - Same Connection Rate, Same device, Same rooms.

Anyone else have issues with this router?

Comments

• carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have experience of the HG533 but I would highly recommend the HG635 aka "super router" as the wifi reception on the HG635 is fantastic!

Have you tried changing the wireless settings on your HG533? Read this for more information. http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/improving-wireless-performance
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a normal thing with the routers TT supplies, A lot of people I know that have TT seems to have problems with the Wi-fi part. One of the reason my friend decided to change her router back to her old one.

Saying that, the rubbish that Plusnet send out is no better. Now BT HH4 is a different thing, the Wi-fi is good on that.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I changed the channel on the TalkTalk router to 1 - (which the BT Home Hub 3 uses)

Swapped them again and just got the same crappy results.

Terrible router - ! Just not strong enough and erratic. Looks like the Home Hub will stay. !
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 533 is fine. I even use it on wireless to speed check my fibre connection. My lappy reports 135Mb/s connection to the router over wifi N and I can get 35Mb/s on the fibre d/l.

The numbers you are reporting look like an ADSL speed rate, not wifi connection... if your wifi connection is really only 12.6 then you have some problem anyway... Try InSSIDer or a similar tool to see if there's major congestion of the airwaves where you live.

Of course if you are talking about the ADSL speed, then there may be some tweaks that can be done to help the 533. The TalkTalk Forums have helpful people there and the staff OCEs (weekday only) will also give advice.

You may have a faulty 533? TT should swap it for you if they agree and you jump through a few diagnostic hoops with them.