why is parks and recreation on bbc4

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    The UK Office doesn't trump either of them, actually. Comic characters can be dislikeable, but David Brent was so dislikeable he was wearying to watch, especially in the second series.

The Office UK for me was consistently funny over its entire run, something the other 2 aren't.

Office US has been awful since Michael Scott left and should have ended with him.

Both the Office US and Parks and rec had good first seasons but not great.

And i always found Brent likeable, probably because deep down you knew he was a decent guy who just screwed up a lot in a job he couldn't handle well.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    dixie13 wrote: »
    Office US has been awful since Michael Scott left and should have ended with him.

I agree the show should have ended when Michael Scott left, but I think "awful" is far too strong a word to describe the decline in quality.
    Both the Office US and Parks and rec had good first seasons but not great.

Agreed on the first season of The Office US, but disagree about Parks And Recreation. I adored Parks And Recreation right from the start, and I am actually disappointed that over time the writers made Leslie less of a fool (I think taking Ron Swanson to legendary status is compensation, however). That said, I know that your view is shared by many P&R fans.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its on BBC4 as its in search of a more intelligent audience. Most TV shows will be aimed at a mass market and thats a low to middling intelligence level, P&R is much more cerebral in its approach, its much cleverer than the UK Office, i think some get confused between style and content.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    bingbong wrote: »
    I think its on BBC4 as its in search of a more intelligent audience. Most TV shows will be aimed at a mass market and thats a low to middling intelligence level, P&R is much more cerebral in its approach, its much cleverer than the UK Office, i think some get confused between style and content.

Did you intentionally just call everyone that doesn't watch BBC Four stupid? I knew most BBC Four viewers were pretentious, but I didn't realise they were overtly so...
    Forum Member
    Did you intentionally just call everyone that doesn't watch BBC Four stupid?

I don't think that other person did that, and I know what they are "getting at." Certain shows are more "populist" than others in their sensibility -- something that the BBC itself acknowledges by putting such material on BBC1 while reserving more "alternative" or "artsy" programming for BBC2 or BBC4. I believe the UK Office was a BBC2 show, not BBC1. Parks And Recreation is about as close to "alternative" as American network TV gets nowadays, and it has the combination of bad ratings and adulation by critics to prove it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I don't think that other person did that, and I know what they are "getting at." Certain shows are more "populist" than others in their sensibility -- something that the BBC itself acknowledges by putting such material on BBC1 while reserving more "alternative" or "artsy" programming for BBC2 or BBC4. I believe the UK Office was a BBC2 show, not BBC1. Parks And Recreation is about as close to "alternative" as American network TV gets nowadays, and it has the combination of bad ratings and adulation by critics to prove it.
    I know what they meant, some shows are watered down to attract a mainstream audience (cough Big Bang Theory), and others aren't. The way they worded it, they made it sound like anyone that disliked Parks and Recreation was stupid and that anyone who doesn't watch BBC Four is stupid. (I was asking because it may have just been poor phrasing.)

I would say 30 Rock, Bob's Burgers and Community are fairly "alternative". I don't think any of them are good fit for BBC Four though, Community is aiming a bit too young. 30 Rock is perhaps a bit too populist. I didn't like Bob's Burgers so I won't comment.
    Forum Member
    I would say 30 Rock, Bob's Burgers and Community are fairly "alternative". I don't think any of them are good fit for BBC Four though, Community is aiming a bit too young. 30 Rock is perhaps a bit too populist. I didn't like Bob's Burgers so I won't comment.

True, 30 Rock and Community somehow don't seem like a good fit for BBC4 (I have never watched Bob's Burgers, but have heard good things about it). Yet, Parks And Recreation does feel like a good fit there. 30 Rock I would put on BBC2, and Community I would put on BBC3.
    Forum Member
    I agree the show should have ended when Michael Scott left, but I think "awful" is far too strong a word to describe the decline in quality.

Agreed on the first season of The Office US, but disagree about Parks And Recreation. I adored Parks And Recreation right from the start, and I am actually disappointed that over time the writers made Leslie less of a fool (I think taking Ron Swanson to legendary status is compensation, however). That said, I know that your view is shared by many P&R fans.

I don't even look forward to new Office US episodes anymore. I still watch them because i am a fan of the show. It was for a long time a real favourite so i don't consider awful to be too strong a word for the drop. The biggest issue i have with it is that Andy has just become this horrible character. It doesn't seem like the Andy we've known all these seasons.

I don't dismiss the first season like a lot of P & R fans seem to do. As with a lot of comedies it's much better to watch again when you know the characters. I think Leslie needed to be less of a fool. Burt Macklin is enough fool for any show ( in a good way ).

Not sure i agree P & R is much cleverer than Office Uk. I understand the reason for it to be on BBC 4 over 1-3.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dixie13 wrote: »
    And i always found Brent likeable, probably because deep down you knew he was a decent guy who just screwed up a lot in a job he couldn't handle well.

David Brent looked and behaved exactly like someone I used to work with. That person was likeable, too, and had all the same flaws as Brent. Maybe it was a very British stereotype.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have I missed some episodes or is this the first showing?

The EPG is advertising this as Episode 3 of six, but Epguides has this episode as episode 2 (although I see it was production number 3).
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused as my EPG is saying it was first aired in 2009 so doesn't come up as new.. Just checked and it aired in the US in 2009.. Think the EPG has got it slightly wrong as P&P is on it's 5th series..
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I don't think they showed the pilot which was classed as episode one.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    I don't think they showed the pilot which was classed as episode one.

Did it start last week?

I think they showed them in production order rather than the way they were shown in the US.

Episode 2, was 'The Reporter' but was shown as episode 3 in the US.
    Forum Member
    With the double bills BBC4 has so far shown:

Last week "Pilot" and "The Reporter".

Tonight "Canvassing" and "Boys Club".

As already stated "canvassing" and "the reporter" were shown in production order so not the same as in America.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the first two episodes, not sure if anyone noticed but the plot is essentially that of the classic japanese film ikiru but with more jokes and less terminal illness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Saw the first two episodes, not sure if anyone noticed but the plot is essentially that of the classic japanese film ikiru but with more jokes and less terminal illness.

haha but in this case a Parks department wanting to build a park within the show is deemed an impossible task
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viewing figures on BBC 4 fell by 50% last night from last week's modest opening numbers. Wonder if we will ever get to series 6 on here - let alone HD.

Very odd this amiable show could not find a UK channel willing to take it on or an audience here now by the looks of it. For me it is observational humour that usually appeals to Brits. But perhaps the programme buyers who all said no knew what they were doing after all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Just think -

Parks and Recreation on BBC 4 - clever satire and observational humour

Matt Lucas Awards on BBC 1 - A insult to the intelligence of a 4 year old.

Why?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    I've been really enjoying the episodes so far so the fact that it gets apparently much better from s2 onwards is great news to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    season 2 starts Wednesday 27th March :)
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Gulfam1 wrote: »
    season 2 starts Wednesday 27th March :)

That's the good thing about a short first season and 2 episodes a week :D

Watched Season 1 on Netflix and thought it was pretty good, looking forward to seeing if it's true about everyone saying it only gets better.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    I am loving this programme. Even if some of the stuff about the asian guy is a bit near the knuckle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Amy Poehler so I'm sticking with it, but so far I'm finding the show quite tired (thoguh I'm aware we're geting it quite late). I'm bored of awkward comedy and David Brent type lead characters. But I'll stick with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I read somewhere that the BBC's deal is for the first two seasons, if that's true them deciding whether or not to get the third season depends on the ratings of the first two. Let's hope that the viewership picks up
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I'm bored of awkward comedy and David Brent type lead characters. But I'll stick with it.

That's why so many people are down on season 1. Season 2 reinvents itself a bit.

Pretty much every character gets tweaked slightly in Season 2... and the awkwardness definitely goes away.

Plus after season 1, Ron Swanson becomes more and more amazing. I'll just leave you with this image from a later episode:
    http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/110120/park-recs-pyramid_1500.jpg