England playing in blue shorts? No blue in the English flag

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..or little other country-ers.

Thank you for not excluding me :)

Anyway, blue shorts aren't so bad. Better than that grey kit from 96 (?).

Other countries have more bizarre colour schemes. We often play in a Brazil style yellow shirt. The similarity ends at the shirt though. :(
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Bit of a philistine then?

Erm...no. How do you make that connection?
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    National anthems have no place in football. Play an AC/DC song and get steamed in.......

A bit like at St Pauli?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6lL4HdM8Q
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »

They are f***in' genius!
  • Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm...no. How do you make that connection?

Well whats wrong with a national tune being played at a national event?

If i was representing my country i would feel very proud, and to hear my nations anthem played would be the icing on the cake not just because of the tune but because of the tradition.
    Forum Member
    Well whats wrong with a national tune being played at a national event?

If i was representing my country i would feel very proud, and to hear my nations anthem played would be the icing on the cake not just because of the tune but because of the tradition.

So you admit the tune is irrelevant?
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are f***in' genius!

They played in in May when we went over and beat them 2-0. Fair got the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

I think the problem with anthems is that some of them, with GSTQ and FOS being at the top, are an absolute dirge.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    I thought Vindaloo was the English national anthem:)
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    They played in in May when we went over and beat them 2-0. Fair got the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

I think the problem with anthems is that some of them, with GSTQ and FOS being at the top, are an absolute dirge.

Nail

Head

Hit
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    I thought Vindaloo was the English national anthem:)

Ugh. Insipid turgid dross.

Hated that song. Served 'laddish' up on a plate. Definition of soullessness for the sake of soullessness.

Bunch of middle class C-listers and comedians who patronisingly yet correctly surmising that the sure fire way to a hit is to appeal to people to whom the phrases 'oi oi' and 'ave it' resonate.

Anyone who derides, properly, anything with Danny Dyer yet does not hold a contempt for that 'Vindaloo' song is a hypocrite both musically, socially and I suspect ultimately politically as well.
    Forum Member
    Ugh. Insipid turgid dross.

Hated that song. Served 'laddish' up on a plate. Definition of soullessness for the sake of soullessness.

Bunch of middle class C-listers and comedians who patronisingly yet correctly surmising that the sure fire way to a hit is to appeal to people to whom the phrases 'oi oi' and 'ave it' resonate.

Anyone who derides, properly, anything with Danny Dyer yet does not hold a contempt for that 'Vindaloo' song is a hypocrite both musically, socially and I suspect ultimately politically as well.

I actually think Danny Dyer is under-rated, im not sure where that places me in your social hierarchy although i suspect i was starting from a disadvantage in the first place.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think Danny Dyer is under-rated, im not sure where that places me in your social hierarchy although i suspect i was starting from a disadvantage in the first place.

I don't have a social heirachy really. I'm a reformed right-winged soclaist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I think it's a bit laughable that people use something as ultimately trivial as sport to try and make some nationalistic point.

It's laughable, really.

I really find that hard to believe. If that's your opinion then I don't think you've grasped the passion that fans from countries all over world have for football. Nationalistic points are made in International matches year in year out; as are town/city rivalries. Have been for years and won't be stopping anytime soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't just an English thing, does anyone know why Italy play in blue -their flag is red white and green, and why Holland play in Orange - they are red white and blue
  • TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    well N Ireland, play in green and there is no green in their flag.

Yes well Northern Ireland are the original all-Ireland(IFA) team which played in green. The republic formed their own football association(FIA) when the border was created. NI were still known as just 'Ireland' many years after republic started their team.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't just an English thing, does anyone know why Italy play in blue -their flag is red white and green, and why Holland play in Orange - they are red white and blue

Flags are often fairly new designs especially in the case of Italy. Blue was the colour of their "royal family". The Dutch like orange due to William of Orange. His flag was like the current Dutch flag except he had orange instead of red.