Job Interview Advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all

My internship is finishing at the end of June and sadly I have not been offered a FT job. I have therefore been on the lookout for jobs and I got called for an interview!

Thing is the job has been moved from the website, and I was just wondering if this is a good sign. The job is for a fairly large company and I am chuffed I got the call and the interview.

I am also bricking it!!!:O

Anyone have any advice as to how to appear confident and hire able?.

Comments

• Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry.

It's gone from the website purely because they've closed the call for applications and are now in the interviewing phase.

Good luck !
  • NaturalWorrierNaturalWorrier Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interview advice?

Fistly relax. On paper you look good for the job, otherwise they wouldn't have asked you for an interview. You can do the job, they want you, you just have to show them what a good person you are.

Secondly, be yourself, but try and show your good side. By being yourself, your natural charm will show through and they will want to hire you. If you try and fake it - it will show.

Thirdly, prepare: research the role, research the company, if possible even research the person who is interviewing you - and think about how you & your skills will bring benefit to them.

Lastly, good luck. Remember if you don't get it, it is purely the fact that you would not be right for the role - in which case you would not have enjoyed it anyway (but you will get it....)
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was just a graduate looking for work, I always panicked before interviews with the big companies. My nerves always got the better of me and I messed up simply because I thought these firms were something incredible and unattainable. However... years down the line, working closely with some of the leading companies in my field I can tell you that there's absolutely nothing special about them. They do exactly the same work as the (decent) smaller companies just for more money. Their staff are a similar mix of nice/awful/good/useless. They are human like everyone else. There is no reason to be self-conscious when being interviewed by one of those large corporations.

Alternatively,.. picture the interviewer naked :D (someone gave me this advice in the past)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Interview advice?

Fistly relax. On paper you look good for the job, otherwise they wouldn't have asked you for an interview. You can do the job, they want you, you just have to show them what a good person you are.

Secondly, be yourself, but try and show your good side. By being yourself, your natural charm will show through and they will want to hire you. If you try and fake it - it will show.

Thirdly, prepare: research the role, research the company, if possible even research the person who is interviewing you - and think about how you & your skills will bring benefit to them.

Lastly, good luck. Remember if you don't get it, it is purely the fact that you would not be right for the role - in which case you would not have enjoyed it anyway (but you will get it....)

This is excellent advice. I would suggest exactly the same things.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clean your shoes. Wear your smartest clothes. Wash your hair the night before. Make certain you are not late, and make sure you talk a bit before going in.

Wait until asked to sit down. Listen carefully what they say. Answer questions seriously as best you can, as though your mum had asked you to explain something seriously. Your attitude is that you want this job because, despite the obvious fact that you have not had jobs to judge by, you think that you would be very suitable because you would make a good success of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IrishChick wrote: »
    Hey all

My internship is finishing at the end of June and sadly I have not been offered a FT job. I have therefore been on the lookout for jobs and I got called for an interview!

Thing is the job has been moved from the website, and I was just wondering if this is a good sign. The job is for a fairly large company and I am chuffed I got the call and the interview.

I found this youtube tutorial very useful for my last interview. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6bWb7oEuE
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I find if i convince myself I'm not that fussed if i don't get the job it helps massively. If i'm not fussed if i get it, then what reason is there to be nervous? The reason you going is to find out if YOU want to work there.

The other important thing is know your stuff. Be prepared to talk in depth about exactly what the job entails and how you can do it, and indeed why you should be the one to do it. If you have them make sure you have examples in your head of times you have done similar work and various situations within it, e.g a problem you overcame, something you are proud of, etc etc.

Good Luck!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will probably go like this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jhKceRgpak
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hey good luck with the interview. Relax (I know easier said than done) and just be your naturally nice self. This one has your name on it.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IrishChick wrote: »
    Hey all

Sometimes its best not to come across as too intelligent.

Sometimes firms will employ a lesser qualified person if they think that person will plod along and do as they are told, rather than employ someone more knowledgable who could cause them problems.
  • HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been for 6 interviews in my life (I'm 25, have had 3 jobs) and I have been offered 4 of those.

Do as much research as you can about the company and the role, so you are able to confidently answer all questions. The biggest thing I have found is personality. I like to show the fun/sociable side of my personality as well as the professional and just have fun with it. If you don't put too much pressure on yourself, you'll be fine. Go through the interview in your head beforehand, with a positive outcome and it will be positive.

I think it really depends if you're a people person though to be honest. I talk and get along with anybody and have no problem at interviews. I basically go in, no pressure and treat it like a chat with a stranger I've met and they are asking "sooo what do you do for a living?" so to speak.

It may be different in certain sectors...I work as a Secretary, but the same principals apply. Positivity, prepare, don't lie and be yourself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks a mill for all the responses. I have researched the company and looked up loads of interview tips. Excited now :)

Found this handy too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5egfiWaFRk