The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think HOH will still get #1 but with very low sales in the region of 30 to 40k.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do you mean with "If She Goes Under" then?

Starts flopping. She hasn't flopped yet because Elephant didn't flop. If she starts getting rows of singles that can't break the top 10 THEN she will have gone under for me...

Also...I think she's told DB to be quiet now...he hasn't been tweeting in the same way he used to and Alex is also very silent.

Today is 2 weeks until the single, and I'm very very concerned about the level of promotion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ICON111 wrote: »
    I think HOH will still get #1 but with very low sales in the region of 30 to 40k.

Hmm....it's sad considering her debut sold 800k+

I do think she needs to go knocking on doors in the US now tbh....even if she's signed as a new artist, she really needs a fanbase overseas...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Hmm....it's sad considering her debut sold 800k+

I do think she needs to go knocking on doors in the US now tbh....even if she's signed as a new artist, she really needs a fanbase overseas...

If HOH flops she will need start recording 3rd album with RedOne again. Alex and him made wonderful pop songs. Also I'm hoping she does become new X Factor Judge for the wider public to know her again.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    The thread on the music forum is upsetting me too much...:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If HOH flops she will need start recording 3rd album with RedOne again. Alex and him made wonderful pop songs. Also I'm hoping she does become new X Factor Judge for the wider public to know her again.

She NEEDS RedOne imo. I'd love it if Alex recorded stuff like his work on Nicki's new album...

As for the X Factor....I think the UK would explode if that happened. There was a twitter frenzy of hatred when she appeared on 2 shows, so imagine a whole series....unless she gets the Alesha effect and people start to love her....but I see her getting the Jessie J effect where people start to hate her more and more...I'd like her to appear on Judges Houses or as a guest performer though, but that's as far as her involvement should go tbh.

I think she definitely needs to re-evaluate her career though. I hope she quits Sony after this album tbh...they've never been good to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    The thread on the music forum is upsetting me too much...:(

Tbh I think we should all just go on the main forums and promote her positively. Whenever her name is mentioned, there are a load of negative comments but hardly any positive ones...
    Forum Member
    She NEEDS RedOne imo. I'd love it if Alex recorded stuff like his work on Nicki's new album...

As for the X Factor....I think the UK would explode if that happened. There was a twitter frenzy of hatred when she appeared on 2 shows, so imagine a whole series....unless she gets the Alesha effect and people start to love her....but I see her getting the Jessie J effect where people start to hate her more and more...I'd like her to appear on Judges Houses or as a guest performer though, but that's as far as her involvement should go tbh.

I think she definitely needs to re-evaluate her career though. I hope she quits Sony after this album tbh...they've never been good to her.

But what other label would pick her up though? There are labels who just won't sign her solely because she's the winner of the x factor. :(:cry:

I think Alexandra should just go to the states and start her campaign there. She has friends in high places and I'm sure they're willing to give her a hand. And *Liya* DO NOT GIVE ME THAT CRAP ABOUT "If she's flopping here, she'll flop there too". That didn't stop Cher Lloyd from getting a US Launch did it? :rolleyes::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what other label would pick her up though? There are labels who just won't sign her solely because she's the winner of the x factor. :(:cry:

I think Alexandra should just go to the states and start her campaign there. She has friends in high places and I'm sure they're willing to give her a hand. And *Liya* DO NOT GIVE ME THAT CRAP ABOUT "If she's flopping here, she'll flop there too". That didn't stop Cher Lloyd from getting a US Launch did it? :rolleyes::mad:

A US label is what she needs.....Island or Interscope would be great for her...or any other UMG label. Jessie J went to the US after no-one would sign her in the UK, and Alexandra needs to do the same. I wish she was reading this tbh.

And yeah, this is what I mean about unfair opportunities....why does Alex have to work for everything. Simon never pimped her out once, and he even did this! :sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member

This really is not the way to go about it in my opinion. I for one am relieved that RedOne is nowhere to be seen on this album as the songs they made together only appealed to her core fan base, but she was majorly ridiculed for them outside of that. The only way I would welcome a collaboration between them again is if he comes up with something On-the-Flooresque for her that will amount to a worldwide smash. Otherwise, he can stay under a rock. And like I said before, being a guest judge on X-Factor did nothing positive for her, despite her appearance really not being worth the criticism it received. If she goes back she will really be on thin ice, and people probably won't react well to the desperation.

I really think they need to not give up with this album before it's begun. In thinking about it, there really is a benefit to a slow start to a promo campaign if her label choose to not give up on the project. All we really need to do as her fans is try to get her into the top 10, and hopefully with the release of more singles and continued promo throughout the year the album will see some longevity (i.e. Rated R - debuted at #16 but after the success of Rude Boy peaked at #9 and eventually sold over 600,000+). If she does manage to get a #1 with lower sales, that's not the end of the world - summer albums tend to not be huge sellers at the start, but if played right, go on to sell well and hang around at least until the Christmas hype of new releases. Look at Katy Perry's Teenage Dream - they absolutely rinsed the singles so the album eventually sold well enough to justify it's #1 feat. There are plenty of promo opportunities that she can maximise in due course, if not in the early stages of the album campaign. So fingers crossed her management start thinking this way.
    Forum Member
    A US label is what she needs.....Island or Interscope would be great for her...or any other UMG label. Jessie J went to the US after no-one would sign her in the UK, and Alexandra needs to do the same. I wish she was reading this tbh.

And yeah, this is what I mean about unfair opportunities....why does Alex have to work for everything. Simon never pimped her out once, and he even did this! :sleep:

I honestly believe if Alex had went to the US with Overcome it could have debuted in the top 5. You're right she does need a strong US label behind her. :(
    Forum Member
    he even did this! :sleep:

It didn't do much for them though did it :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This really is not the way to go about it in my opinion. I for one am relieved that RedOne is nowhere to be seen on this album as the songs they made together only appealed to her core fan base, but she was majorly ridiculed for them outside of that.

RedOne is responsible for The Silence...arguably one of her best songs. He also did Dumb, SWY and BH, which say what you will, were slices of pure pop. I like his newer electronic sound that he's been doing with Nicki, and imo Alexandra needs that plus a little West Indian spice = winner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't do much for them though did it :p

Yes, but my point is, at least they got that support. Simon wass running after them, yet he had Alex with an album ready made for US success and he just didn't lift a finger for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. Interscope or Def Jam would be good.
    Tbh I think we should all just go on the main forums and promote her positively. Whenever her name is mentioned, there are a load of negative comments but hardly any positive ones...
    People in DS just to hate her.
    This really is not the way to go about it in my opinion. I for one am relieved that RedOne is nowhere to be seen on this album as the songs they made together only appealed to her core fan base, but she was majorly ridiculed for them outside of that. The only way I would welcome a collaboration between them again is if he comes up with something On-the-Flooresque for her that will amount to a worldwide smash. Otherwise, he can stay under a rock. And like I said before, being a guest judge on X-Factor did nothing positive for her, despite her appearance really not being worth the criticism it received. If she goes back she will really be on thin ice, and people probably won't react well to the desperation.

I really think they need to not give up with this album before it's begun. In thinking about it, there really is a benefit to a slow start to a promo campaign if her label choose to not give up on the project. All we really need to do as her fans is try to get her into the top 10, and hopefully with the release of more singles and continued promo throughout the year the album will see some longevity (i.e. Rated R - debuted at #16 but after the success of Rude Boy peaked at #9 and eventually sold over 600,000+). If she does manage to get a #1 with lower sales, that's not the end of the world - summer albums tend to not be huge sellers at the start, but if played right, go on to sell well and hang around at least until the Christmas hype of new releases. Look at Katy Perry's Teenage Dream - they absolutely rinsed the singles so the album eventually sold well enough to justify it's #1 feat. There are plenty of promo opportunities that she can maximise in due course, if not in the early stages of the album campaign. So fingers crossed her management start thinking this way.

But Katy and Rihanna had huge radio power then and still have it now, Alex has little to none now. Radio is the biggest factor of staying power for an artist.
    Also so far only her core fans are aware she even has an album coming out which is bad. There are no big promo platforms for this album so the wider public are aware of it. BGT is over and The Voice is a no. And X Factor lives starts in October which the album would be dead in the water.
  • Rob200696Rob200696 Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob200696 wrote: »
    Instead of saying its gonna flop thn let's get on and promo I say …

1) Go to as many different forums and websites as you can and post.
    2) Tweeting celebs, the management, tv shows, could help! Look at what happened when we wanted her at the MJ tribute show
    3) Facebook, YouTube, tumblr etc. are HUGE and this is how things go Viral! Help get it known and people to see that it's out there
    4)Buy as many albums and singles as you can if it charts or its seen in the itunes chartpeople may buy it, it is already the number 1 music pre-order for HMV on the week of release
    5) Requesting on Radio and Music Channels is important as this is how people will come across the song in the most obvious way without wanting to see it -
    (http://tweamburke.net/index.php/2012/05/12/alexs-up-coming-tv-appearences-television-request-contacts/)

Let's Just Stick together, Beasties aren't gonna go down without a fight

Let Go of the negativity and arguing and lets just go with the promo and make people know about it.
    I'm going to repost this and can we ban negativity on this thread
    Forum Member
    RedOne is responsible for The Silence...arguably one of her best songs. He also did Dumb, SWY and BH, which say what you will, were slices of pure pop. I like his newer electronic sound that he's been doing with Nicki, and imo Alexandra needs that plus a little West Indian spice = winner.

I'm not saying I didn't like the stuff she did with RedOne, but they arguably alienated listeners who weren't die hard fans of her, notably the uptempo stuff. The Silence was definitely their best effort, but given it's poor handling, people never really got to appreciate it. Sad. Also, I don't think jumping on tried-and-tested trends is the way to go about it. She shouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon of what other female artists are doing, and sadly with RedOne, unless you are someone of Nicki's status, he is only going to give you recycled/ unoriginal beats. In order to stand out in the overpopulation of female artists, Alex needs to distinguish her own sound, something she has yet to do despite the fact that I like her music. And working with lesser-hyped producers is normally what amounts to this. So here's to hoping.
    Yes, but my point is, at least they got that support. Simon wass running after them, yet he had Alex with an album ready made for US success and he just didn't lift a finger for her.

I'm with you on this - he was clearly trying to get credit for JLS just in case they became a success overseas because of their overblown success on home turf. We should all know by now that Simon Cowell doesn't think outside the box - if he's not seeing immediate £signs with his efforts he moves onto the next, and because JLS were receiving more public support than Alex, he overlooked her potential for overseas success to jump on the bandwagon of what was 'popular' because he already felt sick at the stomach that he missed a trick... ish. He would never give JLS the same opportunity now over his jewels One Direction. So that's just how he works, hence why Alex needed to be rid of him. Whether she's under his wing or not, she was never going to get the fair end of the draw because she wasn't selling Leona numbers, and he couldn't see past that. Motherf*.....
    Forum Member
    Agreed. Interscope or Def Jam would be good.

People in DS just to hate her.

But Katy and Rihanna had huge radio power then and still have it now, Alex has little to none now. Radio is the biggest factor of staying power for an artist.
    Also so far only her core fans are aware she even has an album coming out which is bad. There are no big promo platforms for this album so the wider public are aware of it. BGT is over and The Voice is a no. And X Factor lives starts in October which the album would be dead in the water.

Then her team need to find a way to get radio to support her again. I know it's been said that a management team can't get radio to play what they don't want to play, but effective management will work on their artist's public image to the point that radio will want to play them. This is not what has been done with Alex, and resultantly they just need to graft harder for her. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but the fact that we have barely seen her do ANYTHING so close to her album's release date can only be attributed to less than stellar management. Despite their efforts, they are clearly not delivering for her.

Edit: I also think DefJam will probably be a better label out of them and Interscope because while Interscope has people like Gaga and Lana del Ray, they also have Nicole Scherzinger and they really don't know what they're doing with her. DefJam is the reason people became interested in J-Lo again, so maybe this would be a good way to go.
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to remain polite on the music forum but if I continue posting I'll go on a rage mode...:mad:
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to remain polite on the music forum but if I continue posting I'll go on a rage mode...:mad:

Take the moral high ground. If there's one thing I take pride in as an Alex stan is the dignified approach I take in defending her, unlike the savagery of others. We shouldn't lose this.
  • CROATIACROATIA Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that you all are in a bad mood at the moment :) Remember while she was with Syco you were all saying : Pleeeeeease go to RCA......now again you want her to go somewhere else

Record labels are a total mess , all around the world........you mention Beyonce's label (Columbia is it?) but her '4' era was total mess, even her fans think so........
    You mention Interscope as amazing but their main act is Gaga, just look how they handled Lana del Rey in the USA ......... Adele's label is know just because they have Adele and her album, not because of their good work.............................

Record label is not main problem, she will never be biggest star under any label,,,and only best 3 or 4 artist under one label get max support
    Forum Member
    CROATIA wrote: »
    I know that you all are in a bad mood at the moment :) Remember while she was with Syco you were all saying : Pleeeeeease go to RCA......now again you want her to go somewhere else

Record labels are a total mess , all around the world........you mention Beyonce's label (Columbia is it?) but her '4' era was total mess, even her fans think so........
    You mention Interscope as amazing but their main act is Gaga, just look how they handled Lana del Rey in the USA ......... Adele's label is know just because they have Adele and her album, not because of their good work.............................

Record label is not main problem, she will never be biggest star under any label,,,and only best 3 or 4 artist under one label get max support

You make it sound as if we're asking for sales of 40 million of one album. We're not.

We just want her to have a good label and team behind her who are willing to spend money on her and promote her as much as they can to give her the chance to reach her maximum potential.
    Forum Member
    You make it sound as if we're asking for sales of 40 million of one album. We're not.

We just want her to have a good label and team behind her who are willing to spend money on her and promote her as much as they can to give her the chance to reach her maximum potential.

I'm with you, but Croatia is right, it's not necessarily the label, it's the power of the artist. For example, Jive had both Britney Spears and Ciara, and we both know who got higher priority out of the two, despite Britney's Femme Fatale era under performing by her standards. However, talent wise, Ciara is arguably the better performer (at least on a dance front). If a label shift is the answer, it would have to be with a lesser known label who are prepared to focus on Alex and only Alex. This would also mean taking time out to effectively start from scratch, which is probably needed but would be difficult given her initial status as X-Factor's British Beyonce. If she is going to work with a label like RCA (i.e. a standard label with hundreds of other artists), her and her management have to put in a lot of legwork. Songs have to be on point, performances have to be on point all the time, image has to be up to par, and your presentation of yourself in the media (especially as a black female) has to appeal to masses. It's sad but true, and while Alex is likeable, there's so much people can use to spit back at her (quality of music/ image) that is not not necessarily down to the efforts of the record label, as it is to the entirety of her team.
  • CROATIACROATIA Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Syco was good at that

Im just saying that label change is not something that's going to turn her in no1 worldwide star .....

Biggest problem this era is bad material, dated songs...then goes radio airplay, tv promo, image etc etc
    Forum Member
    CROATIA wrote: »
    you mention Beyonce's label (Columbia is it?) but her '4' era was total mess, even her fans think so........

It was. But again, that was down to the fact that this was her first album under new management (i.e. herself), so again, it is more to do with artist management than label handling.
This discussion has been closed.