Premiere goes HD today - 3 Dec

bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Germany's version of BSKyB goes HD today with 3 channels of documentary, sport and film. BSkyB is a shareholder in Premiere - so they will probably be keeping an eye on the launch.

It's interesting that Sat1 and Pro7 (equivalent of say commercial ITV here) have already been in sumulcast HD for 2 weeks or so. So that's 3 services up and running - fat chance of seeing ITV in HD here for a while.

The first MPEG4 receivers are shown as hitting the German shops next Saturday....

It's all happening in Europe at last. For German speakers here is a link to their HD micro site:

Premiere HD .

Howard :)

Comments

• bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked for confirmation on www.hdtvtotal.com yesterday (thread here (site also has an English section).

The reply is "yes" and that about 1000 people were able to tune in courtesy of a competition to win Pace receivers. Other than that MPEG4 boxes are in short supply and only start appearing from 9 December in some German shops....

Howard
  • HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    So they are ahead of the UK, I thought Sky were at the forefront of digital technology, I take it there are not! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SKY have never been pioneers in the global sense after all they were not the first with a domestic digital sat service and their SKY+ is based on a NDS design. HD is built around global and EU standards so again SKY is just one player in a big game with local markets deciding who launches first.

The SKY middleware based on OPEN has been a leader in the field has as SKY's productions of sporting events but when it comes to hardware they are a buyer not a creator.
  • pHopHo Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the uk is behind at everything, despite our so-called connection to europe, the brits tend to not really admit the fact that the germans are usually ahead of us when it comes to broadcasting.

i hate dubbing, i refuse to watch a film not in its native language, its a shame europe doesn't feel the same was as me, or we'd all have english movies with optional german subs being shown in hdtv we could all receive. hohum!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is 24% investor in Premiere - so they will see what teething troubles are in store before our launch in 2006.

We are also getting confirmed 7 channels in HD, whereas Premiere has 3. So not so bad - but still can't wait to get a Premiere box so I can listen in asap!

H
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I understand that the german broadcaster is about to start transmissions in HD.

Does anyone know what frequencies they may be using. I assume it will be on ASTRA at 19degrees. I sure would like to know.

Thanks Ronald :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astra 1H (19.2E) - 11914.50 H - DVB-S2 - 27500 9/10

Have a look at www.kingofsat.net and their HD bit on the home page....

Howard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The launch of HD in Germany was only a date for the history book and the press. Pro7 and Sat1 (ProSiebenSat1 AG) launched their programms in the middle of october and Premiere at the beginning of december, but nobody can see these programms. The HD-receiver should be available since november, but until now only some receiver are in big shops for demo reason but not for sale. The new release date is middle of januar. And because of the new DVB-S2 even PCs cannot watch the programms.
    Pro7 HD and Sat1 HD are FTA and the Premiere programms should be free for subscribers from middle of november till end of this year, but without receivers nobody can see it. After that each channel will cost 14,90 EUR or 12 EUR for all 3 channels, if you subscribe all other Premiere channels.

Grettings from Germany and merry christmas.
    Sebastian
  • T183T183 Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    serras wrote:
    The launch of HD in Germany was only a date for the history book and the press. Pro7 and Sat1 (ProSiebenSat1 AG) launched their programms in the middle of october and Premiere at the beginning of december, but nobody can see these programms. The HD-receiver should be available since november, but until now only some receiver are in big shops for demo reason but not for sale. The new release date is middle of januar. And because of the new DVB-S2 even PCs cannot watch the programms.
    Pro7 HD and Sat1 HD are FTA and the Premiere programms should be free for subscribers from middle of november till end of this year, but without receivers nobody can see it. After that each channel will cost 14,90 EUR or 12 EUR for all 3 channels, if you subscribe all other Premiere channels.

Grettings from Germany and merry christmas.
    Sebastian

Wow, 14,90 EUR for just one channel. How much does its cost to subscribe to all other Premiere channels?

Greetings from America and Merry Christmas to you Sebastion. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premiere complete is Euro 47.90 a month and HD will be Euro 13 on top of that - so total Euro 60.90 (or £41.69) - at least with Sky we get plenty more channels and even in HD we will have about 8 to choose from. Not bad.

H
  • T183T183 Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    bayards wrote:
    Premiere complete is Euro 47.90 a month and HD will be Euro 13 on top of that - so total Euro 60.90 (or £41.69) - at least with Sky we get plenty more channels and even in HD we will have about 8 to choose from. Not bad.

H

That's not too bad. When i saw the 14.90 per channel that definitely looked bad. They are basically trying to force people into getting the top package. Understandable.

A few channels to start with is not bad at all. If you do in fact get eight channels to start with then that is a very good start. The existing American channels and programming sure helps.

I'll be switching to satellite soon and that will get me around 25 with a few more expected in the beginning of the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, the Sky initial offering currently stands at:

Sky One
    Sky Movies 1
    Sky Movies 2
    Artsworld
    Sky Sports
    National Geographic
    History Channel
    Sky Box Office

expected (even certain)

Discovery
    MTV

likely

BBC 1 simulcast

In Jan's "Wotsat" there is mention that C4 and ITV are in talks with BBC about HD sharing next year....

H :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    It's said that DVB-S2 - PCI-type cards for computers are coming to shops next spring in Germany. Some Korean or Chinese manufacturers :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and just been reading over at AVS forum that the Reelbox Lite (Germany) can handle DVB-S2 with addition of the correct tuner module. One reader has the new box with everything already fitted....

H
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    The Reelbox is a very special box. It was released with a delay of over 2 years and therefore it is very improbable that a DVB-S2-tuner appears soon.

The first test-users had the new Pace-HDTV-box. It is very hot, but not very buggy.
    On the Premiere HD-channels there are only a 6 hour test loop. So there are no normal programm. The picture quality is on Discorvery HD the best.

Sebastian
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Sebastian. I see that some German stores "may" be stocking the Humax PR-HD1000 HDTV Premiere box from 20th Jan (ATELCO and hardwareversand.de) - so looking good.....

I've got one on reserve from Switzerland....

Howard :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the the secend audio on premire hdtv is english also ?
  • camajcamaj Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming you need a motorised dish to recieve these channels though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Austria last week and the Premiere on hotel TV was in both English and German (on 2 sep channels of ocurse) so i would say yes. In the past when I've watched Premiere there has been an alternative soundtrack.

And to Camaj - yes a motorized or second dish pointed to 19.2 East - the old Sky spot will get you that - and of course the free to air German HD stations.

H
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Well, seems like PACE gives more attention to Sky`s DVR HD box as to PREMIERE.

The excuse for the late release is on both ends that they haven`t got any MPEG-4 chips, or that they have late picture sounds issues.

If you look over the pond you`ll see that this can`t be right in any point, cause in the US they sell MPEG-4 Receivers for HD and they already fixed the picture/sound issues. They now on the way to start the locals in MPEG-4 HD in all the big markets across the US. Latest market was New York and L.A a week ago.

Cable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cable wrote:
    Well, seems like PACE gives more attention to Sky`s DVR HD box as to PREMIERE.

The excuse for the late release is on both ends that they haven`t got any MPEG-4 chips, or that they have late picture sounds issues.
    If you look over the pond you`ll see that this can`t be right in any point, cause in the US they sell MPEG-4 Receivers for HD and they already fixed the picture/sound issues. They now on the way to start the locals in MPEG-4 HD in all the big markets across the US. Latest market was New York and L.A a week ago.

PACE are not making the SKY+ HD, the initial contract went to Thomson but no doubt other manufacturers will come on board at a later date.

Got to admire the US, when they make a decision it's implemented fairly quickly although one hiccup is the mpeg4 HD DVR replacement for the DirecTV Tivo:)
    I suspect the US may have been able to place solid orders for chipsets while EU broadcasters will still considering basic design requirments not to mention a manufacturer will always favour the bigger customer and perhaps US STB suppliers have their own fab plants making the chipsets.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From TVWEEK.COM

By Jon Lafayette

MTV Networks will launch MHD, a high-definition music channel that will feature content from MTV, VH1 and CMT, in January, the company said Tuesday. MHD "will be a totally immersive experience," said Van Toffler, MTV Networks Music Group president, "a home base for music lovers of all stripes." Jeffrey Yap, executive VP of MTV Networks Music and Logo Enterprise Group, said that music is one of the top categories consumers want in high definition. Watching the new channel will be like having "a concert in your living room, except the beer is free and there's no lines for the bathroom." Programming for the network will include such shows as MTV's "Unplugged," VH1's "Storytellers" and CMT's "Crossroads" and events including the MTV Video Music Awards and VH1's "Big." The network will also look to acquire concert video. MTV executives said the network already has some carriage agreements and some advertiser support but declined to identify those companies.
    ✭✭✭
    Cable wrote:
    The excuse for the late release is on both ends that they haven`t got any MPEG-4 chips...

German shops now seem to have 19th Jan as date for first batch of MPEG4 receivers in stock....

H :cry: