Return to Eden

PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,241
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I dont know if anyone remembers this show - but it has stuck in my head since i saw it in the 80's.

It was called something like 'Return to Eden' and it was about a woman whose husband (i think) threw her to the alligators to get rid of her. She was rescued by a plastic surgeon (as you do) who made her one of the most beautiful women ever.

She then went back to america to bring her husband to his knees.

It was sooooooo fantastically brilliant, and i can remember being glued to it.

Has it ever been shown again ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    I think Sky One showed it again a few years back. It was appallingly cheap, tacky, unbelievable, clichéd, badly written and badly acted. I was glued to every episode! :)
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuart62 wrote:
    I think Sky One showed it again a few years back. It was appallingly cheap, tacky, unbelievable, clichéd, badly written and badly acted. I was glued to every episode! :)

Hehehehehe - at least im not alone in my tacky adiction to the show.

I cant believe i missed it on Sky :(

The only trouble with re watching programs you loved from way back when, is that you realise just how awful they really were. Maybe i should just sit back and remember the fake nails, the large glasses and massive shoulder pads.
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote:
    Hehehehehe - at least im not alone in my tacky adiction to the show.

I cant believe i missed it on Sky :(

The only trouble with re watching programs you loved from way back when, is that you realise just how awful they really were. Maybe i should just sit back and remember the fake nails, the large glasses and massive shoulder pads.

I remember the main character (I think) was called Stephanie. With an Australian accent, it has the unfortunate effect of sounding like "Stiff-knee"! :)
    Forum Member
    Just checked the IMDB and there's more information here and if you're really keen, there's a region 2 DVD of it available here.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know - i think you're right :D How do you remember things like that, although it was set in Australia wasnt it, and not America as i first thought.

Ill never forget the secretary who wore those large coloured glasses, and the long red nails. I always wanted to be like her - but wondered how she typed !!!
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    I loved Return to Eden. I've had an irrational fear of crocodiles ever since! :D Jilly someone was the name of the villain, played by Peta Toppano, if I recall (who appeared in every Aussie soap, including Prisoner Cell Block H!)
  • ic1maleic1male Posts: 1,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thread revival! I'm about halfway through watching this on DVD. I hope to God that Stephanie wins and Jilly Stewart and Jake Sanders get their comeuppance.
  • TanequilTanequil Posts: 366,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I can remember about it was an actor called Angelo D'Angelo played a character called Angelo. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanequil wrote: »
    The only thing I can remember about it was an actor called Angelo D'Angelo played a character called Angelo. :eek:

And gorgeous he is, too! Looks like the last thing he did was a brief spell on Home and Away in 2003.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit more here , they follwoed the miniseries upwith a weekly TV series. I remember seeing it in late night repeats when Thames had the London franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Eden
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    They ran out of costume budget about 2 thirds through, and Uni Design students provide a whole load of costume - including Steph in a black gown and mortar board
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is back on british tv as of this week. The mini series started last week and the full 1986 series started yesterday on CBS Drama on Sky.

Still just as I reminder it, wonderfully camp, tacky and over the top. I have series linked it!

I remember I got into Prisoner off the back of Return To Eden because it had "Jilly" in it (Peta Toppano) and I always fancied her a bit. Come to mention it a lot of the Prisoner cast are in RTE.

Anyone else watching?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did buy the DVD boxset from Australia but my mother got her hands on them two years ago and I've not seen them since! I got about half way through so never did get to see if Stephanie got Harper Mining back from Jake Sanders.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBS Drama is on Sky channel 149 :D
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey!! I remember watching Return To Eden during the early 1980s. Was terrible, but compulsive viewing!!

Sad arent I? :D:D:D
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I watched the mini series and am now watching the series on CBS Drama. I think it is really good and it certainly has me gripped. :)
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is such a weird coincidence....thoughts of this programme popped into my head the other morning on the way to work!

Yes, a woman was chucked by her hubby and sister (gilly) to the alligators. She was half ravaged by them, was rescued from a swamp and someone (?) helped her, gave her plastic surgery and she made a comeback as a model and revealed herself to the hubby and sister.

Mid-80's from what i remember...i was about 9 so shouldnt have been watching but hey ho. :D
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tanequil wrote: »
    LOL. Him running up the beach at the beginning of each episode was enough for anyone to keep watching :D

That show was a scream. I took great pleasure in telling my partner about Stephanie Harper, Evil Gilly, Dr. Dan and co. on our first visit to Sydney, even pointing out the "Harper Mining" buildling..

Yep. Me != :cool:
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuart62 wrote: »
    I remember the main character (I think) was called Stephanie. With an Australian accent, it has the unfortunate effect of sounding like "Stiff-knee"! :)

I remember that too!! Hee hee. Also, I read something at the time that said filming ran way over and budget was thin on the ground. Jewellery that had been borrowed from a shop had to be returned and filming hadn't yet finished so some scenes the ladies were wearing the gems and in others they weren't. Continuity must have been fun!!

Almost as compulsive viewing as Sunseat Beach on Five back in the day!:D
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i remember this series too! didnt realise it is on Sky at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's been nothing quite like it before or since. Obviously intended to mimic Dallas and Dynasty and hilariously bad in places but still worth watching. I didn't care much for the original mini series as it wasn't quite as over the top or daft enough to make good viewing. I wasn't a fan of Jilly mark 1 either.

Also I wasn't old enough to stay up to watch until the full series started (I was 12 in 1986), so I basically missed out on the mini series first time round.

I remember reading in The Sun after the series finished they would shoot a final episode to tie up the story, because it was unexpectedly axed and was left with a lot of cliffhangers.

I actually thought that was a myth until recently when I read on imdb that they did actually do it, but I never saw the episode.

Anyone know what happened? (in spoiler tags of course)
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    I've been watching it. :) So funny to find a post of mine on this thread from 2005!!! :eek: :D
  • elite fileselite files Posts: 15,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stuart62 wrote: »

she was played by rebecca gilling:o:o:o it was turned inot a tv series and her jr e wing character was jake sanders played by daniel abineri and jilly by peta topano.... I sohuld ge out more:o:o

there was a horse race between tara s pride and revenge..

i better go lie down:o:o:o:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    I remember this very well, mainly because at the time I was 17 years old and was having a 'relationship' with a 33 year old nurse,we spent alot of time in bed.........watching tv :rolleyes:
  • elite fileselite files Posts: 15,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they did a hindi bollywood version of this film:eek::eek: and no crocodiles were harmed when the actors burst into song for dramatic effect:D:p