Teletext/digital teletext

NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
Forum Member
✭✭
The authorities have really missed a trick in the current travel chaos by not using teletext and digital teletext to provide the kind of basic information that a broadcast service is ideally suited to.

Far more effective than relying on websites and telephone call centres. But then the management at Teletext was pretty dim towards the end of its franchise.

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The authorities have really missed a trick in the current travel chaos by not using teletext and digital teletext to provide the kind of basic information that a broadcast service is ideally suited to.

Far more effective than relying on websites and telephone call centres. But then the management at Teletext was pretty dim towards the end of its franchise.

BBC text service appears to have travel information there.

ITV and CH4 text services only seem to be interested in carrying dodgy advertising last time I looked.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Since we lost analogue in the North West in December last year, I've not bothered with the digital equivalent (and never did before, either). It's a pile of unworkable shite and I'd rather look on a website.

Also, with Ceefax I'd use my TV remote which I have to hand, whereas my Sky remote is tucked away somewhere (don't need it when I've got my TiVo remote) and I only look at the occasional red button thing anyway. Yes, I could use my TV remote for Freeview's digital text, but I refer you back to my thoughts on it being unworkable shite.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teletext digital and MHEG/Open apps really are the victim of
    (a) Ubiquitous browser access from mobile devices.

(b) Poor underlying engineering, or just mis-application of the basic service proposition.

Ceefax and teletext (ie World Standard Teletext (WST)) were right on the mark, but of-course in a technological sense had no competitors. Their successors in the SD DTT and D-SAT worlds fare badly against WST on speed and against the web on everything else. Why wait years (sorry minutes then) for a flight grid to carousel round when all airline and airport web sites allow you to interrogate near real-time data? Why look at flat tables of fictional train running data, when live departure boards jumps out of the screen, and reveals clearly when it is lying?

The BBC have done a better job with their digital apps than anyone else, but even with the bridge menu structure the whole thing is clunky and slow.

Edit - I was trying to sat what DVDfever (above) has said much better.!
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    When are Ofcom going to take away Teletext Ltd's right to broadcast? :(
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    When are Ofcom going to take away Teletext Ltd's right to broadcast? :(

They took their PSB licence away ages ago, and fined them a fair whack too. Teletext worked out it would be cheaper for them to close and pay the fine rather than to carry on until the renewal of their PSB licence as they were haemorrhaging money.

The licence they have now is a purely commercial one, and as such, they can do what they like on it.
  • fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure even the BBC now take their text (Freeview) services seriously.

For instance last week some of the football pages were not updated for three days.

OK, so in that example it was only the gossip pages but other pages too have problems, for instance the Championship table disappeared all together for a few days.

The "formatting" is often a mess too I've seen unreadable pages on football, cricket and rugby.