New York alone?

MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello! I'm having a dilemma. For years, I've wanted to visit New York and I now have enough money to go for a few days. However, I don't have anyone to go with. Nobody's got enough money/time, etc. At least one person has recommended I just go alone but she's much braver and more well-travelled than little old me - I've never been outside Europe and not on my own either.

So, do I wait a few more years in case someone changes their mind/suddenly has enough money to come with me or do I just go? And if anyone out there has been to New York on their own, is it ok? Were you lonely/scared/lost?

Thankyou for any advice,

Moonbean.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend who is in her early 30s was in a similar situation and she went on an organised tour. She had a great time, met some lovely people and they all met up again, this time doing Washington I think. I have also been to NY (on my own but met up with some American colleagues) and I loved it!
  • Madam PresidentMadam President Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I've not yet been to New York but have visited many European cities alone with no bother. At least in New York the majority of people will speak English so things won't get lost in translation. :)

Just plan out where you want to go in advance-routes, methods of transport and so on and you should be fine. Good luck!
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moonbean wrote: »
    Hello! I'm having a dilemma. For years, I've wanted to visit New York and I now have enough money to go for a few days. However, I don't have anyone to go with. Nobody's got enough money/time, etc. At least one person has recommended I just go alone but she's much braver and more well-travelled than little old me - I've never been outside Europe and not on my own either.

So, do I wait a few more years in case someone changes their mind/suddenly has enough money to come with me or do I just go? And if anyone out there has been to New York on their own, is it ok? Were you lonely/scared/lost?

Thankyou for any advice,

Moonbean.

Due to an emergency, I had to spend 5 days in NYC on my own and it was fine.

There's plenty of things that someone on their own can do, the locals are generally friendly, its easy to get around on the subway or taxi and the fact that theres no language barrier is advantageous.

I'd say go for it, You'll enjoy it!
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never been to New York but back in 2008 i went to California myself.I met some intresting people & i always had something to do every day of my holiday.I had a blast.

You should go for it.
  • Tasty DelightTasty Delight Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for it! You might find that your friends will never have the time or money to go with you. Its your life, your dream - do it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the same safety precautions that you would in any big city and go for it, you'll have a great time. I love NY. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    I love travelling solo (as a middle aged lady). I've been to NY on my own and I had a great time. I felt totally safe, even walking by myself after midnight. Obviously, as in any big city, there are areas you wouldn't go to, but the touristy areas of Manhattan are fine. I'd certainly do it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't said when you plan to go but why not try apply for a Big Apple Greeter. You get to spend some time with a local New Yorker - for free - who will show you round the city.

Its the most fantastic scheme. We've been lucky to be able to get one both times we have been to the city and had 2 fantastic but different guides.

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I stayed in a hostel, which happened to have a nearby studio flat where they sometimes put guests, which is where I stayed.

However this flat had 3 double-bunk beds around it (for six people in all), and a procession of interesting characters arriving and leaving during the week!

(I think if I had to stay on a own in a hotel room I could well have ended up jumping from the window, they are that depressing. A hostel is usually cheaper too; this one was $40 a night, 7 years ago, and it wasn't the cheapest.)
  • BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't said when you plan to go but why not try apply for a Big Apple Greeter. You get to spend some time with a local New Yorker - for free - who will show you round the city.

Its the most fantastic scheme. We've been lucky to be able to get one both times we have been to the city and had 2 fantastic but different guides.

Wow, I never heard of that service. Looked at the site, what a fantastic idea!

BTW...we ARE really nice here. :D
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there,

I went to NYC alone a couple of years ago. I was ingle at the time, none of my friends were free and I just thought, why should I wait?

It's a fantastic city and great for seeing alone. There's so much to do. The main advantage of it being a busy American city is that it's very common for people to eat out alone over there. People eat out more often than they eat in and you regularly see lone diners at lunch and at dinner.

I ate out alone several times and although I virtually whispered "table for one please" the first time in absolute terror, the restaurant staff don't bat an eyelid. They are used to it.

I also felt very safe there. Obviosuly, I didn't go wandering down dark alleys in the middle of the night, same as I wouldn't do so at home, but I felt very confident on the main streets at night and using the subway. New York is basically awake through most of the night anyway.

I hope you go! You'll have a fab time :)

Oh, and I stayed in a very nice hotel and swallowed the stupid single occupancy surcharge. I decided I was worth it and I had saved for the holiday so I wanted to enjoy it in as much style as I could afford! If you get a twin room - then you can add someone else if they are able to come suddenly, but I'd say it would be unlikely they'd get on a flight at the last minute anyway. Just book it!
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowadays New York City is one of the safest places in America.

Travelling to places like this, you're going to want to see everything, and having a friend with you can sometimes prevent that, and also send you to places you're not particularly interested in seeing.

I'd highly recommend going alone, plus its an English speaking country so you won't have any translation issues!
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd defiantly go on my own! You should go for it OP! Sometimes holidays can be ruined if you go with friends and family but not a chance of that happening :)
  • KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    I'm 25 now but I've been to New York 3x now in the past 5years. First 2x we're on my own (For a wk each) and 3rd time with my little brother. The first time was the first time ever I been on a plane/abroad which made it even more scary.

Was it scary? Heck yes it was. But I just like you wanted to go to NYC but I found that most of the nerves came before stepping foot on a plane. I didn't have a clue if I'd make it back alive or if I'd get ran over or what (just assumed the worst). However once you're on the plane and your in the air, the feeling of "oh my god, I'm going to New York City" kicks in.

I dealt with it by spending some of the flight planning out my first 24hrs. Just thought "once I land, I need to get my luggage then get a taxi to my hotel and maybe get some food". Don't try and over complicate things. Just take it step by step :)

Also just a side note, if someone at the airport asks you if you want a taxi, say 'No thanks'. There's people who wait at arrivals who have nice cars and will drive you to the hotel but they charge a ridiculous amount ($100-$200) which they won't tell you about until you're at the hotel and it's a horrible way to start your trip. Always go outside the terminal and use the officially Yellow NYC cabs. There is a flat rate of $45 from a NYC airport into the City.

If you need any advice or anything then let me know :). I know it's a big leap and I've been through it. It's definitely worth going on your own though, it's a great experience and you can do things at your own pace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've just returned this morning from a week alone in NY. Was apprehensive at first but I didn't feel lonely, it's a great place to go alone or with someone. Plenty to keep you occupied, easy to get around either by subway or foot, I was surprised at how safe I felt in Manhattan, even at night! Just go for it, don't let your friends' lack of interest discourage you if it's something you want to do.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I love New York

If I had the opportunity to go again I would go whether it was by myself, with family or with a thousand other people
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member

This sounds fab! I've bookmarked it for, hopefully, future use! :D
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a brilliant idea, will keep that link for when I go back!
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if you got lost?
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thankyou for any advice,

Moonbean.

I went recently with two older lady friends; but we weren't together all the time as I 'don't do' shopping! I was absolutely fine with being on my own, it was an amazing adventure :) You need about a day just to get your bearings and acclimatised to the 'feel', but it's pretty difficult to get hopelessly lost with the 'block' system and the regular bus tours that basically do a loop round Manhattan (you can get tickets for 48 hours). Go for it or regret it if you don't!
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    What if you got lost?

Its practically impossible to get lost in large areas of Manhattan, but you should get a guide book with a street map anyway so you can locate the subway stations and places you want to visit

Manhattan is set out in grid system. Streets run East to West and are numbered North to South and Avenues run North to South but are numbered east to west. The intersections are always well labelled. So if you wanted to visit somewhere thats located on 15th and 6th while you were on 10th and 3rd. you'd need to walk 5 blocks north then 3 blocks west.
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum died a while ago and would've been 100 by now - she went on a trip to the States in the 1920's and ended up in Canada working as a chambermaid for the Governor of Montreal.
    She returned to England and went off to tour Europe where she lived in Germany till the outbreak of War.
    Few years before she died she packed her bags & arthritis to go off and do it again - she had a wonderful time being put in wheelchairs and pushed to the front of queues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I can only echo what everyone else has said : DO IT!!!! :D:D:D:D

I went on my own 6 years ago and it's one of the best places I have ever been to. Considering it's one of the busiest/biggest cities in the world felt safe at all times, safer than I do in some British towns :rolleyes:

There is so much to do, I would go back in a heartbeat.

*wishes there was a green eyed jealous smilie*

xx
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh one word of advice though, there are groups of people who will try and make you buy things from them! We had a group of men use 'distraction techniques' to get us into a conversation before they handed us copies of the CD they had apparently made, then they start asking for you to 'help their career' by paying something for it etc - very awkward/even intimidating (it was at night). Don't stop if a group of people try and talk to you!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have travelled solo many times. Just try it and see if it suits you.

When I was younger and single, many a time I would get home from work on a Friday, go to the airport, book a flight from there and just go. :cool:

New York would take a little more planning though. :)