Anyone been to Brussels?

JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
Forum Member
We're going to have a city break in Brussels later this year, going via Eurostar.

Anyone got any recommendations about which part of the city to stay in, preferably one where the good areas to visit are within walking distance or, failing that, near the Metro system?

Any top visitor tips?

Comments

• Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    We went a few years - we prefer Bruges but had a good time.

We found that the best places to eat are in the Rue Des Bouchers

Grand Place is worth seeing
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Thanks - Bruges is on the list but we're combining a rail trip to London from Scotland, a few days in Brussels another day in London on the way back.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Le Manneken Pis on le Rue des Grands Carmes! :D
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Le Manneken Pis on le Rue des Grands Carmes! :D

It's la Rue....(smile)

True Bruges is truly beautiful and the people there SO friendly but DON'T speak in French there! They all speak lovely English......
  • joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree about Bruge, we were there just before Christmas. Best way to see the place is to take the horse drawn carriage, guided tour.

We went to Ypres as well, and I really liked the place. It's steeped in world war I history and is very interesting for that.

Enjoy yourselves. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruges is very lovely and small enough to "do" in a weekend.

Agree with joules about the tour - a canal trip is also good. It's not called the Venice of the North for nothing. ;)

Brussels - never been but a friend who did found it very boring. A bit soulless apparently.
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of Brussels. I lived there for more than a decade and when I'm not rushing about I can give you a list!
    Forum Member
    alsmama wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Brussels. I lived there for more than a decade and when I'm not rushing about I can give you a list!

Please do. :)
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do they still have that building that looks like an atom?
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure you go to the Cafe Delirium. And do the Cantillon brewery tour. If you like beer, of course. Mind, if you don't like beer, then you're going to the wrong country.

We stayed near the Midi station slap bang in the middle of the city. Easy to get to and from everywhere
  • Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Do they still have that building that looks like an atom?

Yes, but I'd say that part of town isn't worth looking at. (Mini Europe). Go to La Musee de BD instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that part of town isn't worth looking at

Perhaps depends on age. On first seeing a pic of the Atomium -- probably 1958 -- I made a promise to myself that I'd visit it when old enough. I'm old enough now :) and thoroughly enjoyed honouring that childhood promise.

It's an easy metro ride - line 6 to Heysel.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Franglais wrote: »
    It's la Rue....(smile)

True Bruges is truly beautiful and the people there SO friendly but DON'T speak in French there! They all speak lovely English......

True, Bruges is in the Dutch/Flemish speaking part of Belgium
  • StarDeltaStarDelta Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I visited the Atomium as a kid the tubes contained escalators and the lift was fast. Also visited the L'Innovation Department Store which later in 1967 caught fire killing many people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something the public transport people or the train station people or the tourist people need to sort out at Brussels Midi station:

Big English signage on how to get from Midi to Grand Place.

The grotty ambience of the metro entrance doesn't help.

Yes I know you can catch a mainline train from Midi to Central then it's a short walk. I'll have to take that route on future trips 'cos it's frustrating getting to the wrong metro platform every time and then the metro arrives much shorter than the platform and.... grrrrr.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »
    Something the public transport people or the train station people or the tourist people need to sort out at Brussels Midi station:

Big English signage on how to get from Midi to Grand Place.

Can I just clarify? Are you saying the transport people need to put big signs in English for getting to the GP?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK for a start I'd recommend trying to get a hotel near the central station rather than Midi station. Then you will be right in the heart of the city and in a less dodgy area. It is easy to get from Midi to the centre when you arrive, either by foot, bus, tram or taxi.
    Forum Member
    OK for a start I'd recommend trying to get a hotel near the central station rather than Midi station. Then you will be right in the heart of the city and in a less dodgy area. It is easy to get from Midi to the centre when you arrive, either by foot, bus, tram or taxi.

Thanks will look into that.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    If you have a few hours do the touristy open top bus ride thing. I know it's cliched & all that but you do get to see a large part of the city, with some context on the commentary. We've done the same on the London bus tours; even though it's only down the road it reveals a lot that's easy to miss.

Worth going up in the fixed balloon too, and having a look at the EU HQ to see where your money goes.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been for a few years but last time we stayed in the Atlas Hotel. Only a short walk from the Grand Place and all the other sights, but in a quiet location near to some good restaurants and fashionable shops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shute wrote: »
    Bruges is very lovely and small enough to "do" in a weekend.

Agree with joules about the tour - a canal trip is also good. It's not called the Venice of the North for nothing. ;)

Brussels - never been but a friend who did found it very boring. A bit soulless apparently.
    This was my impression of the place.. I spent a day there and find no reason / desire to return.
    The fact is, if it weren't for the EU no one would know anything about the place. And the EU is certainly the only reason the Eurostars terminate there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was there for a weekend in March 2010, it was very nice, i was visiting a friend who lives there, we did the whole buying very expensive chocolate moules frite, fruit beer thing. I saw a concert in the main concert hall it was very good.
    Over all i prefer Bruge as it is much more scenic.
    Brussels was also littered with european parliament stuff or companies pretending to be part of it. Lots of signs on buildings beginning with "the european department of XXXXXXXX" fill in the blanks with anything you want, and ask for some money and open your office.
  • FieldfareFieldfare Posts: 2,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there last week! I have family there so pop over at least a couple of times every year. We stay in the Ixelles area, close to Place du Chatelein which is a lovely, safe and lively area with good shops, cafes and bars. Its the main Art Noveau area so you will see lots of people walking around looking at the architecture. A 5 minute walk from the tram stop in Avenue Louise. You can walk into the city if its a nice day, otherwise its a 10 minute jump on the tram.

My top recommends, for eating sea food go to Place Catherine, try the Dandoy biscuits, get the tram to Teruven (tram from Louise to Montgomerey, change there) and back, just to look out the window as it rattles pass the embassies and through the forest.

One of the best things is public transport which makes it so easy to get around. By a jump card for 5 or 10 journeys. When you satrt look for an orange box, at the entrance to the underground or inside the bus/tram. Stamp your time and then you are good for an hour, no matter how many changes or stops or where you go. A tip - if you are in a queue and a person behind you is waving their ticket this means they are trying to get from home, purchase their items and get back again within the hour. Its Brussels convention to let them go to the front of the queue!

Bit rushed, can come back with more later if you'd like.
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Franglais wrote: »
    It's la Rue....(smile)

This is so true.......I remember taking my young daughters there on a coach trip many years ago, and on a walkabout we approached a street vendor.

In my best school French I asked for "trois pommes frites et deux saucissons s'il vous plait", and the lady replied "would you like ketchup on that, madam?"

Cue red face. :o

Oh well I did try!
    Forum Member
    I'm slowly going off the idea now - maybe I'll change trains at Brussels and go on to Bruges.