Options

New camera advice (Which book should I buy?)

chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
Forum Member
Hello,

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum but I need "advice" on what book to buy, so thought the Advice forum would be the most appropriate...

I've recently bought a Canon Powershot S110 and really want to use it to the very best of it's abilities but don't know how.

It's a Point & Shoot camera, but quite an advanced one apparently.

I've owned many P&S cameras in the past but have never fiddled around with the settings and have always stuck with the Auto setting. However like I say, with this new camera, I really want to give it a go :)

I know there are YouTube videos and online tutorials out there, but I'd prefer to learn from reading a book about it.

So, can anyone recommended a good beginners book I could buy, please?

There are so many mixed reviews on the "...for Dummies" guides on Amazon, with some people saying the authors focus too much on editing software and setup etc instead of teaching you how to actually use the darn camera!

I also have a Canon EOS 1100D DSLR camera (that I barely ever touch :( )and to learn how to use that I was planning on buying the actual "Canon EOS 1100D for Dummies" book as it'll be all about that exact camera.

So, can anyone suggest or recommend a good book I could buy to learn how to use my new Point & Shoot camera, please?

Comments

• Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite seriously ..... check the "....for Dummies"series.
    That's if you want to understand its features and capacity.
    For photographic techniques you'll need to browse a good book store or Amazon - read the reviews.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the suggestions :) That cambridgeincolour website looks great! Might post my query there too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Id go for the for dummies books too, they really are good starting points.
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you're serious about learning photography, chuck away the compact and use the SLR
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    if you're serious about learning photography, chuck away the compact and use the SLR

this. and use it on full manual.

this simulator is good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an 1100D and a Powershot S90, which I suspect is a predecessor to the s110. If you are planning to buy a book for the 1100D I wouldn't bother with a book for the S110. The general priniples will be the same as long as you have the user manual to find the specific settings.

The book I have for my 1100D is this one and as someone new to DSLR I found it very useful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Rebel-1100D-Digital-Guides/dp/1118093208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389752401&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+eos+1100d+book

Don't throw out your S110. I still love my S90 even though I have a DSLR. It is great for taking out when you don't want to carry much stuff, throwing in your bag when you are in a hurry or if you are going somewhere where you want to be a bit more discreet than usual. Great little camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soulou wrote: »
    I have an 1100D and a Powershot S90, which I suspect is a predecessor to the s110. If you are planning to buy a book for the 1100D I wouldn't bother with a book for the S110. The general priniples will be the same as long as you have the user manual to find the specific settings.

The book I have for my 1100D is this one and as someone new to DSLR I found it very useful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Rebel-1100D-Digital-Guides/dp/1118093208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389752401&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+eos+1100d+book

Don't throw out your S110. I still love my S90 even though I have a DSLR. It is great for taking out when you don't want to carry much stuff, throwing in your bag when you are in a hurry or if you are going somewhere where you want to be a bit more discreet than usual. Great little camera.

That's exactly why I bought the S110, to carry around every day in my handbag as the 1100D is too big.

Good tip though. Will buy a book on the 1100D and work it out from there, thereby killing 2 birds with 1 stone! :)

That simulator is brill! Thanks annette kurten!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have four cameras ranging from Canon SLR with several lens, two bridge cameras and a Powershot A480.
    They all serve different purposes and each has produced superb photographs in the right circumstances.
    The SLR can produce much richer images but is no use when you need to shoot quickly if you have to change lens.
    The Powershot can be in my pocket at all times and has produced a few of my best "moments".
    It also has a superb macro mode.
    For me, one camera doesn't serve all purposes.
  • Options
    cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check this out, Chuck. (Like that phrase}. :) It is a pretty useful forum and covers specific Powershots including your S110.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have four cameras ranging from Canon SLR with several lens, two bridge cameras and a Powershot A480.
    They all serve different purposes and each has produced superb photographs in the right circumstances.
    The SLR can produce much richer images but is no use when you need to shoot quickly if you have to change lens.
    The Powershot can be in my pocket at all times and has produced a few of my best "moments".
    It also has a superb macro mode.
    For me, one camera doesn't serve all purposes.

This. Although I've got 1 Canon DSLR, I've taken some excellent shots with my point & shoot Canon.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a good little camera, just play with it and you'll be fine I'm sure.