Mail Online's choice of celebs for the 'TV & Showbiz' banner

chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
Forum Member
This was changed quite a while ago, I know, but I can't seem to find a discussion about it on here. If there is one, then please, point me in the direction of it with a link.

According to Alexa, the Mail Online's global rank is 100, and US rank is 63. Pretty impressive! What does everyone make of their choice of celebs to accompany the 'TV & Showbiz' banner?

It used to be: Lily Allen, Coleen Rooney (WHY?!), Victoria Beckham, and Cheryl Cole

It's now: Victoria Beckham, Kim Kardashian, Cheryl Cole, and Beyonce.

I personally think it's a pretty poor selection...

For starters Cheryl. Cheryl is one of our most rubbish celebs in that she's only our biggest popstar by default because we don't have anyone better. Although not a fan myself, Adele is obviously our current most successful and widely known popstar (Pop = Popular in this case), but unlike Cheryl she doesn't court publicity which is probably why she's not up there.

Victoria Beckham is legit in my opinion. Big and successful by her own right. Also manages to court publicity the "right" way, if there is such a thing. By that I mean that she does it with outfits (her own designs most of the time, too!) and poses that are most of the time inoffensive but the paps go crazy for them and the DM and other outlets will always shell a lot of money out for them.

Kim Kardashian...where do I begin...Terrible choice of celeb. It never ceases to amaze me just how many articles the DM post about her and her desperate family. That whole clan, without a doubt, I find so uninteresting and smug that I literally, LITERALLY, have not once clicked on an article of theirs. I just don't get the hype. I don't even find them funny to laugh at! For example I click on Helen Flanagan articles because her ridiculous behaviour and outings make me lol. AT HER, not with her, mind.

Beyonce is obviously one of the biggest and most talented superstars in the world, but up until recently has kept pretty quiet. Not sure if she should be there.

What does everybody else think? Could they have chosen any other celebs? Maybe a male celeb?

Comments

• wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only one that irks me is K*m K***ashian.

The Daily Mail, with its sancimonius, priggish attitude then (as you say) prints umpteen pointless, boring page-fillers about these K***ashians and J*nners every single day - and all of it started from K*m having a sex tape.

Where's the moral outrage, DM? Went the same way as Simon Cowell getting a free pass for "impregnanting another man's wife"???

I notice now that they work some kind of fashion advice into their celebrity articles now. So you can be a cheat, and a liar and a bankrupt but it's okay, still the public will want to dress like you! Woo!
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    The only one that irks me is K*m K***ashian.

The Daily Mail, with its sancimonius, priggish attitude then (as you say) prints umpteen pointless, boring page-fillers about these K***ashians and J*nners every single day - and all of it started from K*m having a sex tape.

Where's the moral outrage, DM? Went the same way as Simon Cowell getting a free pass for "impregnanting another man's wife"???

I notice now that they work some kind of fashion advice into their celebrity articles now. So you can be a cheat, and a liar and a bankrupt but it's okay, still the public will want to dress like you! Woo!

They're advertorials. The absolute creme de la creme of these was the day Ian Watkins was charged and they showed 'brave' Fearne Cotton in one of her own coats from Very.co.uk. The tagline seemed to be 'just found out your ex boyfriend is a baby rapist? Hey, you're still wearing a nice coat'. Beyond crass.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    They also had a long obsession with Jennifer Garner - for some reason it was news if she picked up one of her children from school while carrying a coffee. Another time she crossed the road while on her mobile phone. Stop the press......
  • sanfran1sanfran1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    I can't believe they haven't added Abbey Clancey/Crouch to their banner yet.

They are obsessed with this woman, daily pictures of her comings and goings, I can't understand it!
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're advertorials. The absolute creme de la creme of these was the day Ian Watkins was charged and they showed 'brave' Fearne Cotton in one of her own coats from Very.co.uk. The tagline seemed to be 'just found out your ex boyfriend is a baby rapist? Hey, you're still wearing a nice coat'. Beyond crass.

Oh gross. They're unbelievable aren't they. The whole paper revolves around grossly overblown PR and rubbish, made-up stories now with fashion tips.

It kind of sums up where we are in barrel-scraping celebrity culture. The sad thing is it goes over a lot of peoples heads. They just noddingly accept it. >:(
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does everybody else think? Could they have chosen any other celebs? Maybe a male celeb?

I'm surprised Harry from 1D isn't there considering how many stories they post about him.

But it seems you got your wish because Cheryl Cole has obviously lost her showbiz crown and been removed from the banner...
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    I'm surprised Harry from 1D isn't there considering how many stories they post about him.

But it seems you got your wish because Cheryl Cole has obviously lost her showbiz crown and been removed from the banner...

Whose replaced her? I can't see it on my phone
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Whose replaced her? I can't see it on my phone

Miley Cyrus.

Cheryl isn't the A list star she was five years ago, people aren't as interested in her. Maybe Cowell will remember that before bringing her back to flog the dead horse that is The X Factor.
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Oh my word, has this just been done this evening? I've just seen it now. Not only have they replaced Cheryl with Miley, but of course, they've done so with a ghastly tongue hanging out shot! Urgh!

Still, as much as I dislike Miley and her team's "strategy" (which is basically just, strip and bend over as many times as you can), at least Miley is more relevant and current than Cheryl.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    My new favourite headline- 'Watch your step! Lauren Goodger narrowly avoids walking into a puddle during day out in Essex'
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    ^^ These are the type of articles and headlines that I just don't understand. WHO are they appealing to?! Are there still any TOWIE fans left? Articles like that are JUST to show pics of her and keep her in the spotlight. Is she/TOWIE paying DM to do this?
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All women with a similar look about them.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    ^^ These are the type of articles and headlines that I just don't understand. WHO are they appealing to?! Are there still any TOWIE fans left? Articles like that are JUST to show pics of her and keep her in the spotlight. Is she/TOWIE paying DM to do this?

Indeed, there must be some sort of deal to 'promote' some of these talentless women in any way in possible.