Amy Winehouse statue, shame not brave enough to keep tattoos on

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The new Amy Winehouse statue is Camden is a great tribute to this amazing lady, but as far as I can see, has no Tattoos depicted. That was so much part of her.. Shame the artist was not brave enough to include them.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a woman with one good album and 3 hit singles to get a tattoo despite basically being an alcoholic, drug addicted, self harming, indulgent in abusive relationships, dependent and apparently mentally deficit spoilt brat who pissed away her talent for a convict who got her hooked on crack... to memorialise that kind of a flash in the pan self made failure... just seems like glorifying disgraceful desperation doing a Billie Holliday impersonation.

They normally reserve statues for those who have been dead for 20 years. Her biggest international hit was a cover of The Zutons "Valerie". Let's not pretend she was more than a lucky junkie singing covers and impersonating a better and previous great musical legend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She may have only had one great record, but what a record it was and every track was amazing.. A tragic life I agree, but if your saying that she was a waste, then in the same degree you have to put the amazing Janis Joplin etc
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    For a woman with one good album and 3 hit singles to get a tattoo despite basically being an alcoholic, drug addicted, self harming, indulgent in abusive relationships, dependent and apparently mentally deficit spoilt brat who pissed away her talent for a convict who got her hooked on crack... to memorialise that kind of a flash in the pan self made failure... just seems like glorifying disgraceful desperation doing a Billie Holliday impersonation.

They normally reserve statues for those who have been dead for 20 years. Her biggest international hit was a cover of The Zutons "Valerie". Let's not pretend she was more than a lucky junkie singing covers and impersonating a better and previous great musical legend.

Wow!!! I actually read this with my mouth open in disbelief, especially bits in bold. Amy was a fantastic (albeit very troubled) musician.
    Your post imho shows a complete lack of empathy, understanding of addiction, as for describing her as a "lucky junkie", yes she was very lucky indeed to have lost her battle at 27 years old.
    I could go on but I having a feeling this thread could go the same way as the one about Peaches Geldof did ie attacking a young woman who sadly cannot defend herself.

Just for the record, Amy was much, much more than a one hit wonder.
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a beautiful gesture & thought the picture of her dad kissing it was quite emotional actually, from her parents point of view that's the closest they'll ever get to "seeing" their daughter again.

I really don't agree that Amy had a "tragic" life. I actually do not believe that anyone lives a tragic life through and through. Tragic times and events, yes, but not overall tragic.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realise Frank wasn't anywhere near the commercial success Back To Black was, but that was a fine album too. Some excellent tracks.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the statue is a great memorial and a great way of honouring Amy who was a very talented musician, no matter what her troubles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »
    I think the statue is a great memorial and a great way of honouring Amy who was a very talented musician, no matter what her troubles.

I agree, but it a shame, the artist was not brave enough to include her tattoos that was very much part of her.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow!!! I actually read this with my mouth open in disbelief, especially bits in bold. Amy was a fantastic (albeit very troubled) musician.
    Your post imho shows a complete lack of empathy, understanding of addiction, as for describing her as a "lucky junkie", yes she was very lucky indeed to have lost her battle at 27 years old.
    I could go on but I having a feeling this thread could go the same way as the one about Peaches Geldof did ie attacking a young woman who sadly cannot defend herself.

Just for the record, Amy was much, much more than a one hit wonder.

Well said, BEL. Nothing to add to that.

Re the statue, a lovely and more than deserved tribute but not a particularly attractive one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the statue. She is sorely missed from the charts, an exceptional talent
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member

I was listening to Back To Black in my car the other day. Exceptional album. :)
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member

Wow, tell us how you really feel.

I happen to agree with you, she was highly overestimated in my opinion.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does not deserve a statue
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree, in her short life, an amazing talent. Like a lot of the greats, Joplin, Hendrix, died far to young.
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure a pop singer is worthy of a statue? Sure it's a tragic tale and she wrote some great songs, but a statue? Not in my opinion.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume it was an artistic decision, they would make the statue look messy and cluttered.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect some fans may add them..
  • StandByMe89StandByMe89 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's in Camden, a place full of art and music, and her home town (born in Southgate however). She's all over the place there so it suits it. And those calling her a flash in the pan are being ridiculous, she was an oustanding song writer and vocalist.

Her statue at Madam Tussauds was one of the best waxworks I've seen.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can think of luckier fates than being dead at 27. But maybe that's just me.

She was, IMHO, a phenomenally talented singer - one of the finest of her generation.

& I don't see how her being a chronic addict makes her a 'spoilt brat':confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure how you can render tattoos in bronze, unless they were carved on, which would look strange and a bit macabre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how you can render tattoos in bronze, unless they were carved on, which would look strange and a bit macabre.

I sure they could have been etched in, if you look at some indian statues they work well.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    The new Amy Winehouse statue is Camden is a great tribute to this amazing lady, but as far as I can see, has no Tattoos depicted. That was so much part of her.. Shame the artist was not brave enough to include them.

The sculptor should have included her tattoos as well. I think they would have made her look more lifelike. I definitely think it was a case of the sculptor being too afraid to include them in case their artwork got criticised for it. I think the sculptor was a coward for not including them.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I suspect some fans may add them..
    :D

and again:D
    Apart from that I thought her death was really tragic and it upset me quite a lot, it's really lovely that she now has a statue as a lasting tribute in the area she so loved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The sculptor should have included her tattoos as well. I think they would have made her look more lifelike. I definitely think it was a case of the sculptor being too afraid to include them in case their artwork got criticised for it. I think the sculptor was a coward for not including them.

Agree, and it a shame, as without them in is not really a great likeness.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've not seen the statue in the flesh yet, i'll check it out this or next weekend, but i don't remember seeing any statues wearing tats or seing any and thinking the tats are missing

in it's location round the corner from a pub she frequented in the market it's hardly out of place and seems fitting to camden
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can think of luckier fates than being dead at 27. But maybe that's just me.

She was, IMHO, a phenomenally talented singer - one of the finest of her generation.

& I don't see how her being a chronic addict makes her a 'spoilt brat':confused:

Being an addict doesn't make her a spoilt brat, having her parents work hard to send her to the BRIT School and squandering their efforts and her talent by marrying the guy who introduced her to crack and picking a fight with the producer who gave her the hit sound that turned her from being a Glasto side stage attraction singing about her new guitar to a Grammy winner and international sensation made her a spoilt brat.

Finest of her generation? She was a Billy Holliday impersonator with a Diana Ross out of the Supremes beehive who couldn't sing the word "game" properly. You'd think her song Love Is A Losing Game was about the failed romances of Corey Haim. She'd turn up to shows drunk as Hell, walk off and come back with cocaine around her nose while the band riffed to fill time... we can all glorify her in death but the truth is Amy as a new artist was a subtle chanteuse but once she got a shot at stardom she lost about 3 stone, became a caricature who put in half the work she did when she was performing on the club circuit, lost multiple teeth from crack smoking, got tattoos even prisoners would have baulked at and ended up destroying herself despite having all the love and support in the world from both her family and the public. Adele and Taylor Swift outstrip her for sales but thankfully they never developed a taste for shooting up or chasing dragons.

1 album and 4 hit singers do not a legend make, a good knock off is not the same as a true original.

Giving her a statue is a joke. Ian Dury only got a bloody bench, she gets a bronze statue in less than the normal 20 year standard for memorials? GTFOHWTBS.

As for reading my opinions with your jaw hanging open, if you're a mouthbreather by admittance, that's not on me.