Options

Migraine sufferers ((Hugs)) thread

To give and receive ((( :) ))) Not to give medical advice obviously, but somewhere friendly to turn the screen down, relax and share experiences with others that understand just how debilitating these evil things are. Yesterday was the most painful I can remember. I felt a bit scared when my doctor didn't know what to suggest, because my regular triptans weren't helping this particular attack and he said I was on the strongest painkiller available (other than morphine) which weren't working. He wants to refer me back to the Neurologist, who I hope can adjust my preventative to tackle these hormonal migraines more aggressively. Thankfully my OH managed to find a late night chemist and bought an over the counter triptan which managed to reduce it from a level 9 to about a 5 today. :(

Comments

• Options
    Cunny FuntCunny Funt Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gf suffers with chronic migraines and they can last up to three weeks at a time... truely horrendous they are. I've found that rubbing lavendar oil into the back of her neck helps quite a lot with easing the pain.
  • Options
    lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My fiancé is currently in bed with one at the moment :( He once had one so bad that it wouldn't go away for 2 days and had to go to the hospital.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suffer badly with them. I take preventative medication and that has saved my life. I cut out all products that cause them and I take Provex for when I get one. works a dream
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Is this advice? thought it was more general discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lym wrote:
    My fiancé is currently in bed with one at the moment :( He once had one so bad that it wouldn't go away for 2 days and had to go to the hospital.

Yes Lym, an acute migraine attack can last for 3 days and if it's longer, as happened to me yesterday it's adviseable to try and break it. He did the right thing. In America they have something called the 72 hour rule and if necessary they encourage sufferers to go to the ER after this duration to get help. You don't hear this mentioned here. I was frustrated with my doctor yesterday because he didn't seem to understand how bad it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anubis wrote:
    Is this advice? thought it was more general discussion.

Hi Anubis.... you know I wondered as soon as I posted. I'll have a word with the powers that be. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suffer badly with them. I take preventative medication and that has saved my life. I cut out all products that cause them and I take Provex for when I get one. works a dream

Hi EL - sorry to hear you get them - I haven't heard of Provex, is it a triptan? I googled but nothing came up. Is it spelt right? Or maybe just available in Ireland. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LindyLupin wrote:
    Hi EL - sorry to hear you get them - I haven't heard of Provex, is it a triptan? I googled but nothing came up. Is it spelt right? Or maybe just available in Ireland. Thanks.

Sorry I spelt it wrong its Frovex:

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/lexicomp/frovatriptan.html

http://www.migraine.ie/assets/53/53ECBD10-E5C6-27E7-AEBA67DB9D59E52B_document/QandA%20Galway.pdf
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need a hug, and willing to offer in return.

Ow. 7yrs of CFS/ME, with a major symptom being migraines and sinus pain. Little blue spots, the burning poker through the lobes.. I'm sick of it.

Bad day today... and the missus wants me to go to Asda for a major shop in about 30mins! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    LindyLupin wrote:
    Hi Anubis.... you know I wondered as soon as I posted. I'll have a word with the powers that be. :)

Ask them if i can have a coffee and a biscuit as well. :D I'm a tad peckish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes I agree. I usually find Frovatriptan (Migard), is wonderful for menstrual migraine. It's the newest triptan licensed here, and has less side effects than Imigran. You just have to be careful not to end up taking too many, because it can lead to rebound headache, or else be less effective.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get them and it was very frightening

Mine were caused by hormone imbalance and now they are sorted I rarely get them. Lack of food can trigger one and stress.

(((((Huge hugs to people to have them)))))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote:
    Need a hug, and willing to offer in return.

Ow. 7yrs of CFS/ME, with a major symptom being migraines and sinus pain. Little blue spots, the burning poker through the lobes.. I'm sick of it.

Bad day today... and the missus wants me to go to Asda for a major shop in about 30mins! :o

Awww. ((((Gentle hugs))) That's tough on you. I can't do the supermarket shop anymore WS. The harsh lights and flicking looking for stuff are a huge trigger. I'm a convert to supermarket online shopping now. Once you have your basic shop, you simply click on delete or add and no delivery charge if it's above £70.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LindyLupin wrote:
    Awww. ((((Gentle hugs))) That's tough on you. I can't do the supermarket shop anymore WS. The harsh lights and flicking looking for stuff are a huge trigger. I'm a convert to supermarket online shopping now. Once you have your basic shop, you simply click on delete or add and no delivery charge if it's above £70.
    I generally do the shopping at tesco.com, but she wants to get loads of clothes for her, our son and I. I really don't want to go, but it's not a good time to give her extra stress.

Bleh.

And lights? For me there's almost nothing worse than either bright sunshine (I loathe it) or walking towards oncoming traffic at night,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    mine are triggered off by brightness, usually go away after i have a lie down in a dark room :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cstar2229 wrote:
    I used to get them and it was very frightening

Mine were caused by hormone imbalance and now they are sorted I rarely get them. Lack of food can trigger one and stress.

(((((Huge hugs to people to have them)))))

CStar - do you mind me asking how you went about sorting out your hormones? Did the doctor do a test to establish the problem, or perhaps you had a breakthrough using hormone replacement therapy? They know that it's fundamentally a dip in eostrogen levels, but like everything, it's more complex than that and results for migraine, using patches etc. are fairly mixed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chocolate, Cheese, Red Wine, Stress, lack of food, brightness, sunlight, a lot of things trigger mine but I think I have mine under control now :D *crosses fingers*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote:
    I generally do the shopping at tesco.com, but she wants to get loads of clothes for her, our son and I. I really don't want to go, but it's not a good time to give her extra stress.

Bleh.

And lights? For me there's almost nothing worse than either bright sunshine (I loathe it) or walking towards oncoming traffic at night,

Oh that's hard when you have to try and function with a bad one. Sinus migraines are terribly painful. Well WS, if you aren't allowed to give into it today and lie down later, then you know you can pop on here for some sympathy. Feel better soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LindyLupin wrote:
    CStar - do you mind me asking how you went about sorting out your hormones? Did the doctor do a test to establish the problem, or perhaps you had a breakthrough using hormone replacement therapy? They know that it's fundamentally a dip in eostrogen levels, but like everything, it's more complex than that and results for migraine, using patches etc. are fairly mixed.
    My migraines were triggered by being on the pill.

I had blood tests, HRT, progesterone, anti depressants to try and sort it - I could write a book on what I had to go thro with my hormones.

I had a hysterectomy then a bilateral oophorectomy as I had severe endometriosis and all the above concoctions made it worse.

It is the first time I have felt well for 30 years - the only thing is other things have replaced it, non hormonal.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a fellow sufferer *waves*.

I only started to get them about 5 years ago, and mine are linked with the pill and also alcohol. If i have a drink before 7pm at night .... i really regret it.

Almost instantly i can feel my head start to throb, and within half an hour i feel i have an axe threw my head. Not nice.
  • Options
    KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ((((((())))))) to all fellow sufferers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote:
    Im a fellow sufferer *waves*.

I only started to get them about 5 years ago, and mine are linked with the pill and also alcohol. If i have a drink before 7pm at night .... i really regret it.

is this not a hangover as opposed to a migraine :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    I've suffered migraine since I was 20 (14 years now)

It took me a while to find a drug combination that worked for me

I take Naramig 2.5mg and 800mg Ibuprofen together.
    If I catch it early enough this combination really seems to work, otherwise I get a numb tongue (anyone else get this?) tingly face RH side flashy eyesight and I'm sick. :eek:

I hate them!!

I have had a scan and there's nothing nasty....its just cruel!

I've tried all sorts..massage, hot pads, freezer pads, all sorts of lotions and potions inc herbal ones,a light pad eye mask (made them come more often!) but nothing really works

My Gran (96) and Mum suffered and my daughter had one a few months ago (Bless her) we didnt really know what it was she had all the symtoms of Meningitis....couldnt stand the light ,stiff neck and joints temperature, we paniced and took her to GP who arranged for us to go straight to local hospital where after a few hours diagnosed migraine...

Any 'cures' gratefully recieved :rolleyes:

Edit - also does anyone else on here think that a 'smell' is a trigger for a migraine...My family think I'm loopy (I am ! :p ) but I know that a certain smell sets me off....I couldnt tell you what the smell is though I just know it when I smell it :o ....please tell me I'm not alone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    *T*I*N*K* wrote:
    Hi
    I've suffered migraine since I was 20 (14 years now)

It took me a while to find a drug combination that worked for me

I take Naramig 2.5mg and 800mg Ibuprofen together.
    If I catch it early enough this combination really seems to work, otherwise I get a numb tongue (anyone else get this?) tingly face RH side flashy eyesight and I'm sick. :eek:

I hate them!!

I have had a scan and there's nothing nasty....its just cruel!

I've tried all sorts..massage, hot pads, freezer pads, all sorts of lotions and potions inc herbal ones,a light pad eye mask (made them come more often!) but nothing really works

My Gran (96) and Mum suffered and my daughter had one a few months ago (Bless her) we didnt really know what it was she had all the symtoms of Meningitis....couldnt stand the light ,stiff neck and joints temperature, we paniced and took her to GP who arranged for us to go straight to local hospital where after a few hours diagnosed migraine...

Any 'cures' gratefully recieved :rolleyes:

Edit - also does anyone else on here think that a 'smell' is a trigger for a migraine...My family think I'm loopy (I am ! :p ) but I know that a certain smell sets me off....I couldnt tell you what the smell is though I just know it when I smell it :o ....please tell me I'm not alone

I once had a migraine come on after painting.

This was after using an oil based paint.
    gloss & eggshell are usually oil based

I also had a scan, this was an M R I scan.
    All was fine, which I suppose is what you want to hear. :)

Still get the migraines though. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the zig zags then take a neurofen or paracetamol to stave it off when I get one.

Also, your neck goes tight on the side of the pain/zig zag. My OH massages it and it really helps reduce the tension and stave it off.