No Sound from HD box

TOFFEEMAN1878TOFFEEMAN1878 Posts: 75
Forum Member
Last night for no apparent reason I lost 5.1 sound from my HD box ,the sound is fed via an optical lead to an amp ,which on all other channels is o.k. apart from Sky Movie channels & of course any HD channel calling $ky was a joke,they took me through all the usual routine of disconnecting form the mains & HDMI cable ,they kept insisting I was getting no 5.1 becuase of a faulty HDMI cable ,but I have tried the component cable with the same result ,anyone else had this problem ,of corouse the box is now out of warranty ,anyone any ideas ???........Jim

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member
    you've tried a different optical cable?
  • TOFFEEMAN1878TOFFEEMAN1878 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Not yet as I,m still getting pro logic ,with the same cable,do you think it would make a difference ?....Jim
    Forum Member
    sounds like the audio output default in the Sky box has been switched to PCM rather than Dolby Digital output somehow.
    Forum Member
    Anyway of correcting this or is it a new box ?.......Jim
  • broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you set the optical out to stereo rather than Dolby D, does that allow you to hear the movies and HD channels just the same as the non-DD transmissions (albeit in stereo only)? If so, it sounds like the DD encoder within the Sky HD box has blown.

If you can, borrow a Sky+ box (or an alternative Sky HD box) from a friend or neighbour and connect that to your amp using the same cable - make sure that optical out is set to DD on that box, and see whether the Dolby Digital audio still works in that instance.

If it does - it is your Sky HD box's DD encoder that is kaput.
    If it doesn't - it is your amp's DD decoder which is kaput.
    Forum Member
    broadz, I don,t think it,s the amp because I,m getting 5.1 from both the DVD & Xbox360, $ky are coming tomorrow morning ,i,ll see what the engineer has to say ....Jim
    Forum Member
    have you checked the audio output setting in the box setup?
    Forum Member
    Yes audio setting set to Dolby D.....Jim
    Forum Member
    let us know what the sky man says!
    Forum Member
    Box replaced after checking set up I was able to show him how I was getting all channels be it only in Pro Logic ,but not in 5.1 he agreed the 5.1 decoder had gone in the box ,so I,m happy for now!.......Thanks for your help guys ....Jim