No Internet and no answers from Pipex

DeanparkrDeanparkr Posts: 822
Forum Member
✭✭
Am typing this from my Mobile Broadband from T-Mobile. Currently our home Internet has been down completely for the last few days and Pipex doesnt seem to have any answers claiming that they need to "investigate" further each time. They seem completely useless and clueless about the issue i'm having so thought maybe someone here could point me in the right direction, so that I can point Pipex in the right direction!

Basically the issue is that there is no internet and there are no ADSL lights on our Netgear Router. They dont even flash.

So far I have tried : 2 other routers (all have no ADSL lights)
2x DSL cables
4x DSL filters
We have tried plugging the ADSL line into the socket behind the BT box faceplate.
We have tried with nothing else just the internet connected to the line.

All of the above have resulted in no ADSL lights. The router admin panel gives the status "Disconnected". On one of the routers I went through the setup wizard and couldn't get past step 1 with the error "No ADSL connectivity detected"

It would seem to me that the ADSL line is completely dead so the routers are not seeing any connection - is this likely to be the case? If so, who should I be complain to? Pipex or BT?

Thanks for any enlightenment :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Deanparkr wrote: »
    who should I be complain to? Pipex or BT?
    Your ISP is Pipex and so you need to call them. (If you call BT they will just tell you that you are not a BT customer and that you should call your ISP.)

You need to call Pipex and ask them if they have called Openreach and if not why not? ISPs do not like to call Openreach because it costs them money and so you need to get on and stay on Pipex's case.
  • DeanparkrDeanparkr Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Beerhunter,

Thanks for that, I will ask about Openreach. Thats the kind of information I was looking for. At the moment each time I call i'm going through the same stuff over and over so it would be good to start asking some different questions!

Am I right in thinking that Openreach is BT's diagnostic service for ISPs?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deanparkr wrote: »
    Hi Beerhunter,

Thanks for that, I will ask about Openreach. Thats the kind of information I was looking for. At the moment each time I call i'm going through the same stuff over and over so it would be good to start asking some different questions!

Am I right in thinking that Openreach is BT's diagnostic service for ISPs?
    Openreach install and maintain the phone infrastructure. They contract their services to phone and Broadband providers to basically look after the oily bits for them.

As an end user you can't contact them directly so you have to go via your ISP or phone provider as appropriate. Openreach will more than likely raise a charge with the ISP for any fault investigated and/or fixed.

Depending on whether the fault is in the phone network or caused by your set-up at home the ISP may pass on that cost or absorb it. As you can imagine they will be reluctant to call out Openreach if the fault turns out to be in the phone network and hence they can't charge you in return!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all after mentioning OpenReach on the phone they have confirmed the fault has been escalated to them. Hopefully this issue wont take too long to sort out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update on this, the BT OpenReach engineer called this morning saying there is no ADSL on the line and has passed the issue back to Pipex. The engineer suggested there is a problem with Pipex's equipment at the Exchange.

Pipex keep fobbing me off with call backs which never materialise. This is turning out to be a very painful process!
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look on the bright side as it's Christmas. :D

30 consecutive days without a broadband connection constitutes breach of contract which allows you to leave without penalty.

Exactly when did the disconnection occur ?