Options

PS Vita 100 App Limit - Why?

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently got a PS Vita. I'm not normally a fan of handhelds but had such a big backlog of PS plus Vita content I kinda felt like I should have one just to get the most out of my sub. Anyway I got a good deal on a used one (original OLED) with 32GB card and I am very impressed indeed, never thought a portable could have such a good screen, the colours are better than my TV! :D

However, with me having such a big existing library of Vita games plus lots of PSone and PS Minis I hit upon a limitation quite quickly, you can only have 100 apps on the system. Whilst admittedly you'd probably never get 100 native Vita games on before it filled up, as the minis are typically only tens of mb big and PSone games a couple hundred or less you could easily get over 100 with a combination of these (and they all count towards the 100).

It is very disappointing as to me the Vita is the perfect place to play minis and PSone games since it's smaller screen is a lot more forgiving of the limited graphics than a giant TV screen. I was hoping I could have all my minis and PSone games installed on the Vita ready to play but the stupid 100 apps limitation makes this impossible.

I thought at first it just meant you couldn't have more than 100 apps on the homescreen so I made folders for the minis and PSone games but this makes no difference, it still counts everything inside the folders.

Why does the Vita have such a silly limitation? I could understand it on the home screen perhaps to avoid excessive scrolling but if the games are organised into folders then what's the problem?

Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this? Or any hope Sony might patch it in future?

Comments

• Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the 100 app limit include folders? /interested :)

Edit........... :blush:
    (Sorry you've already stated it makes no difference! LOL! :blush:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've looked around the web and a lot of people have complained about this but it seems there is no solution to it (that I could find). Very disappointing and with PS Plus and larger memory cards becoming available (I believe they have 64GB ones now?) it is going to become an issue for more people.

The only solution I can see is to buy another memory card e.g. 16GB for all the minis and PSone games and leave the 32GB for the native Vita games (and any overflow from the 16GB card). Not ideal at all as it means spending more money and means swapping cards when you want the games on the other card but it's the only way I can see of having access to all my games at once.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their thinking is probably there is no need for more than 100 apps at once because you probably won't use more than half of them anyway, they also probably (and perhaps wrongly) think that most Vita owners will have a PS3 so they can just leave games and apps on the PS3 harddrive

Therefore negating the problem because if you finish for example Crash 1 on Vita you could then transfer it over to the PS3 and then transfer Crash 2 from PS3 to Vita
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Their thinking is probably there is no need for more than 100 apps at once because you probably won't use more than half of them anyway, they also probably (and perhaps wrongly) think that most Vita owners will have a PS3 so they can just leave games and apps on the PS3 harddrive

Therefore negating the problem because if you finish for example Crash 1 on Vita you could then transfer it over to the PS3 and then transfer Crash 2 from PS3 to Vita

I guess, but how much extra work would it be to allow more pages (it's 10 apps per page) or simply to allow a folder system where the folder just counts as one (as you would logically expect), not all that much I'm sure, seems like, at best, laziness or at worst blatant profiteering i.e. the average user will probably think they have run out of (memory) space "oh no more space for apps my memory card must be full, I have to buy a new one... "

I do have a PS3 and used to keep Vita games on it but now that is full of PS plus games and that's with a 750GB HDD! Still at least the PS3 lets me have more than 100 items! In fact despite the fact many call it overcomplicated, I actually really like the PS3 interface as it actually feels like a console for grown ups, it lets you tinker with settings and organise your content however you want. Unfortunately with the Vita (and sadly even PS4) Sony seems to have dumbed it down a bit i.e. just dumping all your apps on the homescreen (PS4/Vita) and the stupid 100 app limit (Vita).
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS Vita firmware update 3.10 should be available today, will raise the app limit to 500.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS Vita firmware update 3.10 should be available today, will raise the app limit to 500.

Great news, maybe Sony was listening after all ;-) 500 app limit is much better, don't think that would ever be an issue for me even if I upgraded to a 64GB card in the future...