Petition to get Laurel and Hardy back on TV

2»

Comments

• finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Surely more people would prefer to watch Laurel and Hardy than rubbish about spoilt middle class people buying houses or endless programmes about worthless antiques ?

Yes - I know I would!
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I didn't realise they were still going
    They are. There are called Cameron and Osbourne.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't reveal my source but I can reveal that ITV are being them back but in celeb filled game show. See Ant and Dec as you never seen them before, as Laurel and Hardy. Each episode will end with a gunging and that well known and loved catchphrase "that's another fine mess you got me into".
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely more people would prefer to watch Laurel and Hardy than rubbish about spoilt middle class people buying houses or endless programmes about worthless antiques ?

Yes. yes, yes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

It would not surprise me if you were wrong, unfortunately...
  • Daryl_SlinnDaryl_Slinn Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Would a channel showing movies and TV shows from pre 1969 be a money spinner, would a black and white TV channel be popular.
    I know for one I would watch and so would many more possibly over the age of 50.
    Nostalgia does have a place on our TV screens and goes further back than countless repeats of Allo Allo, Fawlty Towers and Porridge.
    Perhaps BBC 3 or 4 would have been an outlet for programming of this ilk during the daytime switching to the programming it has now after 7pm, is it an option that someone has missed ?
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    Would a channel showing movies and TV shows from pre 1969 be a money spinner, would a black and white TV channel be popular.
    I know for one I would watch and so would many more possibly over the age of 50.
    Nostalgia does have a place on our TV screens and goes further back than countless repeats of Allo Allo, Fawlty Towers and Porridge.
    Perhaps BBC 3 or 4 would have been an outlet for programming of this ilk during the daytime switching to the programming it has now after 7pm, is it an option that someone has missed ?
    Well I bought the complete Laurel and Hardy collection on DVD's for my cousins 2 two daughters aged 10 and 8 and they absolutely love the duo. They never stop watching them and I'm sure they would love to see them back on TV as its there favourite DVD's more so than there children's DVD's that they have, despite Laurel and Hardy being in black and white.
    Ian.
  • SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member

Bonanza Bonanza on Sky Channel 266, a heady mix of Beverly Hillbillies, old tv movies, Dragnet, country music and you guessed it - lots and lots of Bonanza.
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I didn't realise they were still going
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    They are. There are called Cameron and Osbourne.

I thought they'd be Dumb & Dumber....
    Forum Member

No, BBC Three and BBC Four switch to CBBC and Cbeebies respectively during the daytime...
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Stan Laurel lived on Tyneside in his youth but very little is made of his time there, which I always thought was very odd.
    http://northumbrianimages.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Laurel%20and%20Hardy
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Their last film was made in 1951, ie more than 60 years ago. I'm not sure there is really that much demand amongst the UK viewing public to see movies that old, other than true classics like Wizard of Oz or Gone with the Wind.

I like the idea posted above of people who are interested going out and buying the DVD set. For anyone who's interested, you can get DVD's with 10 of the films here for £25.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laurel-Hardy-Feature-Film-Collection/dp/B005L920JY/ref=pd_cp_d_h__0/279-9536887-6217965

The bargain of the century.

Have a look on the BARB website and the viewing figures for movies might surprise you - Sky have built up a platform of movie channels (albeit mainly modern/recent film genres) but there's also TCM, Sony Movie Channel etc... On basic Freeview we have Film 4, Movie Mix, Movies4Men, True Entertainment showing a fair degree of older films.

Part of the issue (maybe not so much as the poster said with L & H) is rights/who owns and obviously cost to screen - but there are successful dedicated film channels who pay for movies, screen them and charge their advertisers accordingly. If they can make money showing old and/or older films to audiences of even 20-75k then they will do it!

Of course nowadays there are numerous outlets/means to watch old(er) films online/streamed and so the picture is quite different to what it was even a decade ago. Big corporations and/or those who might have been keen to launch such a film channel might feel it isn't worth the hassle now, but by applying the plan (in the paragraph above) it has worked, and could work on a lesser scale.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Stan Laurel lived on Tyneside in his youth but very little is made of his time there, which I always thought was very odd.
    http://northumbrianimages.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Laurel%20and%20Hardy

I visited Ulverston with my son back in the late 80's and saw the house that Stan was born in and the pub named after him a short distance away.
    We also spent a considerable amount of time at the L&H museum with Bill Cubin, the then owner and mayor of Ulverston.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    I visited Ulverston with my son back in the late 80's and saw the house that Stan was born in and the pub named after him a short distance away.
    We also spent a considerable amount of time at the L&H museum with Bill Cubin, the then owner and mayor of Ulverston.

But he left Ulverston when he was a very young and spent his formative years, and made his first stage performance in North Shields on Tyneside.
    http://northumbrianimages.blogspot.c...%20and%20Hardy
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaplin keaton etc etc used to be on tv regularly. but now live happily on the internet. easily download lots of excellent silent classics for free. not much point putting them on tv now espec when low viewing figures affect broadcasters' revenues .....
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    But he left Ulverston when he was a very young and spent his formative years, and made his first stage performance in North Shields on Tyneside.
    http://northumbrianimages.blogspot.c...%20and%20Hardy

He did, but Ulverston still make a big thing out of it to attract tourists.
  • Captain Peac0ckCaptain Peac0ck Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    The BBC would have to go through every film frame by frame & edit out anything that is contrary to the BBC attitudes and standards of today.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    chaplin keaton etc etc used to be on tv regularly. but now live happily on the internet. easily download lots of excellent silent classics for free. not much point putting them on tv now espec when low viewing figures affect broadcasters' revenues .....

Exactly! Might work on a commercial channel where they could make it profitable - i.e. even profitable with 10-50k viewers based on charging advertisers less, but on a non commercial channel like the BBC (where albeit it's not all about ratings and certainly NO advertisers) then as you say the default position on many films and shows might be "people can get it online now". As said before I think broadcasters like the BBC will think it's not worth the effort.
  • wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love it
    Forum Member
    The BBC would have to go through every film frame by frame & edit out anything that is contrary to the BBC attitudes and standards of today.

As would any broadcaster showing it, compliance is a process that's been around for a very long time and will be around even longer. It's not really a stick you can use to beat the BBC...
  • Captain Peac0ckCaptain Peac0ck Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    As would any broadcaster showing it, compliance is a process that's been around for a very long time and will be around even longer. It's not really a stick you can use to beat the BBC...

No, but I will:D
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember during the late 80's or early 90's they used to show it on BBC 2 in the early afternoon. I was a child and used to watch it round my Grandads. I used to love it.