Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Comments

• CapitalLifeCapitalLife Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    I love that Richard Park was just on from LA.

Well someone obviously got invited to the Grammys then! :rolleyes:
  • CapitalLifeCapitalLife Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    I may be one of globals biggest critics, but they have obviously reacted quickly when staff levels must be at a minimum, as they did with the M5 situation a while back............so good on them!

There is (or was) a procedure in place if you are on air and you hear (from an established reliable source) that something like this has happened. It was included on the Obit and later the Major Story procedure that you were supposed to have read and have understood before you started broadcasting. You are (or were in my day) supposed to call the head of news if out of normal news hours and they would give you instructions as to what to say. You were also supposed to call your PC and ask about suitable songs to play and when to play them. You were not supposed to make a comment yourself or pick your own choice of "suitable songs".

I remember someone who having read the procedure rather mischievously asked "What happens if you can't get hold of your PC on the phone?" The reply was that they should try all the numbers listed for their PC, and then other more senior people on the list or possibly the duty officer at weekends. I think they were hoping to be told to use their own choices for music.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Capital Playing Whitney Houston hits. Too right..;)

Now there is a surprise a hit network station playing songs from years ago maybe they will make up there mind what station they are no disrespect to WH even though she may have died of her own habit. I must admit i listen to a station in usa a hit music station playing todays songs and the dj said about the death and he then said dont worry guys we wont be playing any of her songs as we are playing todays hits only. But of course now she is gone her songs will enter the charts via downloads but on that station not one of her songs played and its in the usa fantastic well done.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice of One Direction to thank Radio 1 for the award voted for by Capital FM listeners at the Brits!
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice of One Direction to thank Radio 1 for the award voted for by Capital FM listeners at the Brits!

Hahahaha!

Mind you not surprising really, given that Capital's done its very best to ignore One Direction in favour of playing The Wanted every hour.

Can't think why ...
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    Hahahaha!

Mind you not surprising really, given that Capital's done its very best to ignore One Direction in favour of playing The Wanted every hour.

Can't think why ...

They were playing "That What Makes You Beautiful" a lot in December/January although were quite late in picking it up.

It was funny 1D thanked Radio 1 - maybe Harry was thinking of his appearance with Moyles on Monday!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I've ever heard their second single on Capital FM, though?
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    I'm watching it delayed. Has Rich had anything to say about this if anyone's listening?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I thought One Direction were cynical enough, I'd be thinking they did it on purpose to stick two fingers up at Capital for only playing their first single (and it's never been on their A list) and ignoring the other songs they've put out.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I thought One Direction were cynical enough, I'd be thinking they did it on purpose to stick two fingers up at Capital for only playing their first single (and it's never been on their A list) and ignoring the other songs they've put out.

I hear Capital have now taken 1 Direction off completely. Stupid really as they were voted for there award by Capital listeners, so listeners to Capital obviously want to hear more of them and if they don't may swap stations to hear them.

In these times of music research the biggest bit of research you could get would be this surely? Mass amounts of listeners to the station telling them who there favourite band is, yet Global have completely ignore it in theory.
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    I hear Capital have now taken 1 Direction off completely.
    How immature is that?

A bit like a baby spitting out its dummy!
  • Matt00011Matt00011 Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://youtu.be/s3miy1V7Cos

Heres a (low quality) video of the incident.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Isn't there a bit of a glaring error in the guardian piece. Where it says cooper is under pressure for the audience being too young, that's not the case at all, it's not young enough! Also I love the insider source, funny how they always talk in journalist style puns these unnamed sources!
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    How can we be sure it wasn't just 1D fans that don't nessisarily listen to Capital that have been told that they can vote on the Capital website?
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hilarious. :D

Can't believe Capital have de-listed them for that. How pathetic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just went through Capital's "last 10 songs" list on their website, and it's true, they haven't played 1D at all today.

Also, I'm pretty sure I just went to the BRITs website and voted there. There was no condition of me ever having to have listened to Capital before, or be a fan of the station. So despite it being apparently being voted for by Capital listeners, I reckon a high percentage of those votes weren't even by Capital listeners.

Dropping them from the station because of their on-stage error does seem a bit childish, but if Capital never really wanted to play them in the first place, then what they did isn't exactly going to make them want to play them, so fair play in my eyes.
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    Hilarious. :D

Can't believe Capital have de-listed them for that. How pathetic.

I'm sure One Direction will survive just fine, they have the backing of Simon Cowell and any way how many of their teenage girl audience listen to radio anyway? Most will consume via itunes and youtube, like 2% probably listen to fuddy-duddy old radio. Capital are just punishing themselves really.
  • SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be thinking they did it on purpose to stick two fingers up at Capital for only playing their first single (and it's never been on their A list) and ignoring the other songs they've put out.
    'Gotta Be You' had 27 plays on each of the Capital stations from November 10th to November 30th (except London and South Coast where it had 28).
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very pathetic. Capital Loss Radio One gain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Park was very upset. I can't believe they were upset, probably a little ignored by a little mistake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Can someone please ask Adele to support Radio 1 as well please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't Capital Radio support Blur?
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to laugh really - Capital have got huge publicity out of this gaffe. The Capital name has been all over the papers because of it. How many people would have known that this award was chosen by Capital listeners if this hadn't happened?

Of course they have milked it by refusing to play the records. The whole incident has put the Capital name out there, and Ashley & Richard won't be that "upset" at the end of the day. Their advertisers are not going to switch to Radio 1 are they? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capital Radio are going in the new direction instead of the one direction.