Options

Tony Blair's Save the Children award

MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A Save the Children decision to give former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair an award for his anti-poverty work has been criticised by charity workers. Almost 200 staff at the charity have signed a letter calling it "morally reprehensible", the Guardian said.

A separate petition calling for the Global Legacy Award to be revoked has gained more than 90,000 signatures. A Save the Children spokeswoman said the award came from the US arm and the charity respected diversity of opinion.

The internal Save the Children staff letter, which the Guardian reports has been signed by senior regional employees, says the award - which was presented in New York on 19 November - is a threat to the charity's credibility. It adds: "We consider this award inappropriate and a betrayal to Save the Children's founding principles and values."

The online petition calling for the award to be revoked says Mr Blair's "legacy in Iraq overshadows his achievements in Africa".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30205106

A tricky one. Blair certainly did do a lot for children in Africa and is being recognised for this. Will people scream "Iraq War" at him every time he is recognised for doing something good?

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL Sounds a bit like Obama's Nobel Peace Prize :D
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to do with the fact that the chief executive, Justin Forsyth, was formally one of Blair's spindoctors. All just a happy coincidence i'm sure.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    A Save the Children decision to give former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair an award for his anti-poverty work has been criticised by charity workers. Almost 200 staff at the charity have signed a letter calling it "morally reprehensible", the Guardian said.

A separate petition calling for the Global Legacy Award to be revoked has gained more than 90,000 signatures. A Save the Children spokeswoman said the award came from the US arm and the charity respected diversity of opinion.

The internal Save the Children staff letter, which the Guardian reports has been signed by senior regional employees, says the award - which was presented in New York on 19 November - is a threat to the charity's credibility. It adds: "We consider this award inappropriate and a betrayal to Save the Children's founding principles and values."

The online petition calling for the award to be revoked says Mr Blair's "legacy in Iraq overshadows his achievements in Africa".

A tricky one. Blair certainly did do a lot for children in Africa and is being recognised for this. Will people scream "Iraq War" at him every time he is recognised for doing something good?

It would of course be better if he was being recognized for doing a lot for the children of THIS country but they weren't his priority it seems
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are being a bit harsh on Labour's most successful leader.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I can't see them being harsh about Wilson at all.:p
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On what are you defining his success ?
  • Options
    MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the fact that the chief executive, Justin Forsyth, was formally one of Blair's spindoctors. All just a happy coincidence i'm sure.

Call me cynical but quite a few Labour people that were around when Blair was in power are on Charity boards I wonder how many more will give him awards.....possibly to deflect if anything comes out about him during the Iraq investigation (which wont get to the bottom of it because it was set up by Labour themselves)......

The thing I find amazing is with troops on the ground in Iraq we could never give an accurate figure on civilian casualties (how many people and children were killed by our 'shock and awe' bombing) ....but in countries we have no involvement in we seem to know the numbers......

Tony Blair took us into a war built on lies and untruths and is responsible to a large degree in radicalising a lot of the people that are causing trouble now.....bombing on mass and calling it shock and awe killed many civilians and all you need to say to yourself if anyones family were killed it doesn't take a genius to work out it would help to fuel the problems Iraq is having now......

Funny the award was given also in America nothing surprises me and it just a part of their payback for him helping illegally invade a country built on lies.....and also made him a multimillionaire, but as you keep hearing Labour are a party for the people..

..yeh right....Kinnocks, Blair etc say they are all for the people where they are just all for lining their pockets, telling people they are for them but then allowing mass immigration to cause everyone to suffer due to massive problems it has created for our public services and lowering wages because the immigrants can afford to work for a lot less.....Even Blairs ex speechwriter said they allowed the mass immigration because they knew they would get votes......but then if a man goes into war which helps kill 100s of thousands of civilians he wouldn't think twice about ruining a country with uncontrolled immigration......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Winning 3 elections
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winning 3 elections

Well he fooled a lot of people ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Most deaths

Most personal fortune made

Most immigrants bought into the country

Most lies told

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Most deaths

Most personal fortune made

Most immigrants bought into the country

Most lies told

:D

Most personal fortune maybe, immigrants, deaths and lies I'm not sure about. There are other ex leaders who could compete for those honours.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Probably.

But he did admirable things too in other places in the world

e.g.
    It happened to be a particularly busy day at the camp. Most of the Italian brass were out to meet a VIP visitor. Tony Blair was visiting the Nato forces and the refugee camps, where he was mobbed as a saviour. The Kosovan Albanian refugees who spent their nights huddled around radios knew the British prime minister was pushing harder than any other western leader for decisive Nato intervention to drive back Serbian forces. They chanted, "Nato! Nato!" when they saw him......

Fifteen years on, Tonibler Sahiti is doing well at school and likes fixing electronic gear in his spare time; he would like to design websites. "I feel very good when people call my name," he says. "I would like to achieve something like prime minister Blair did. To save people from wars."

Just as Blair promised, the people of Kosovo did go home. Tonibler is growing up in peace in the family village. His father has built a new two-storey home near the site of their old house, with meticulous stonework behind the hearth. There are apple, pear and cherry trees in the garden. If you wanted to conjure up a scene to convey a vision of peace, it would be hard to do better.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/20/kosovan-albanians-name-children-tony-blair-tonibler

• Options
    Forum Member
    Most personal fortune maybe, immigrants, deaths and lies I'm not sure about. There are other ex leaders who could compete for those honours.

Well he certainly had less regard for the democratic process than any other PM of the 18 times the Parliament Act has been used he used it 13 of them
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Well he certainly had less regard for the democratic process than any other PM of the 18 times the Parliament Act has been used he used it 13 of them

That was more of a consequence of the HoL being packed with backwoods Tory hereditary peers who were wheeled out to block legislation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was more of a consequence of the HoL being packed with backwoods Tory hereditary peers who were wheeled out to block legislation.

It was also stuffed full of Labour cronies who had bought their places so that excuse doesn't really work does it ?

The Lords was the last vestige of democracy in this country during his years and the only place where his legislation was properly debated thats why it blocked so many of his proposals , they were that badly written you could drive a bus through the loopholes they left
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would of course be better if he was being recognized for doing a lot for the children of THIS country but they weren't his priority it seems

As opposed to that champion of children in poverty - the Tories, UKIP and the political right..... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As opposed to that champion of children in poverty - the Tories, UKIP and the political right..... :D

Its just such a shame child poverty doubled under Labour so that does make you look ridiculous doesn't it ?
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mariesam wrote: »
    Call me cynical but quite a few Labour people that were around when Blair was in power are on Charity boards I wonder how many more will give him awards.....possibly to deflect if anything comes out about him during the Iraq investigation (which wont get to the bottom of it because it was set up by Labour themselves)......

I did notice that too. I also noticed the oxfam poster some weeks ago that looked like it could have been made by labour hq. I'm of the belief that charities shouldn't be polititical. It would seem that they are edging that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What did he use all 13 on ? This only shows three, 1999,2000 and 2004.

http://www.totalpolitics.com/blog/177342/the-parliament-act-a-century-on.thtml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just such a shame child poverty doubled under Labour so that does make you look ridiculous doesn't it ?

Maybe you would like to read this from the Institute for Fiscal Studies.
    Today, the Oxford Review of Economic Policy publishes a special issue on Labour's economic record when in government between 1997 and 2010. As part of this, IFS researchers assess Labour’s record on income inequality and poverty. Here, we show how income inequality changed little but child and pensioner poverty fell significantly.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/6738
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well he fooled a lot of people ;-)

He did indeed. Not me though.;-)
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How on earth could that possibly be true.

If you had claimed it had increased by 10% then people might believe you, but "double" is such an outlandish figure that no one is going to find it credible.

And it's a matter of record that under Labour (1997-) child poverty reduced. As did poverty in general.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why must you turn this forum into a house of lies?
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err... at least the trains ran on time...?

*dives for cover, hoping for a successful 'almost-Godwin'...*
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,879
    Forum Member
    Blair does seem to do a lot of charity work though, he was in Sierra Leone last week or the week before, how many of you knew that?