Options

car brakes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
Forum Member
Hi

I've just driven home on icey/snowey roads with quite a lot of slush and fog, as a result the maximum speed i could do was only 20 mph max, i noticed when i got towards home when i braked or turned right i heard a strange grinding noise, i know this could be bearing or brake wear but was wondering if it was just possible it could be a build up of ice/slush that's got into the brakes is that possible?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrmcc76 wrote: »
    Hi

I've just driven home on icey/snowey roads with quite a lot of slush and fog, as a result the maximum speed i could do was only 20 mph max, i noticed when i got towards home when i braked or turned right i heard a strange grinding noise, i know this could be bearing or brake wear but was wondering if it was just possible it could be a build up of ice/slush that's got into the brakes is that possible?

Very possible. When was your last MOT and whn was the last time your brakes were replaced?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly some grit wedged in the brake mechanism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MMMojo1960 wrote: »
    Very possible. When was your last MOT and whn was the last time your brakes were replaced?

MOT was last april, they replaced the whole front suspension and cv joints etc, aswell as brake pipes.
  • Options
    dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First and foremost make sure the wheel nuts are done up correctly. Loose wheel nuts can make that noise.

Try to get rid of as much snow and ice as you can from around the area and take it for a drive round the block to see if the noise still occurs. Could be a variety of things causing the noise. Can I ask a few questions? What car do you drive, how old is it, and how many miles have you done?

Cheers,
    Nick
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »
    First and foremost make sure the wheel nuts are done up correctly. Loose wheel nuts can make that noise.

Try to get rid of as much snow and ice as you can from around the area and take it for a drive round the block to see if the noise still occurs. Could be a variety of things causing the noise. Can I ask a few questions? What car do you drive, how old is it, and how many miles have you done?

Cheers,
    Nick

when i got out i did notice a large build up of ice around the wheel, i did go for a drive round the block three or four times and it didnt get worse, it's a 206 x reg, done about 90,000 miles, the brakes where replaced no more than two years ago, and had new front tyres at the same time as the mot in april.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if the noise has only started when you were driing on slush/snow/ice I'd imagine it was the ABS which can be disconcerting if you've never heard/felt it before.

Having it checked at a quck fit type place wouldn't be a bad idea tho'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    if the noise has only started when you were driing on slush/snow/ice I'd imagine it was the ABS which can be disconcerting if you've never heard/felt it before.

ahhhh never thought of that, cheeers.
  • Options
    dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just not Kwik Fit themselves, otherwise you'll come out with 4 new tyres, a new exhaust, and a complete new braking system.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's could be likely you were driving slightly too faat round the corner. When you drive too fast in snow/ice when you brake you get a grinding type noise. This is normal.

to the exact same thing again driving slower and see if it happens again.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's possible that the ice has pushed the tin plate behind the brake disc onto the disc and that's why you have a grinding noise (could be worn out brake pads) the only way to tell is to take off the wheels and look.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it'll be worn brakes, if it just started on that journey.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has happened to me as well, and I had new brakes and pads last year.

I just assumed it was some grit that had got into the brakes.
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it's prob the ABS the first time I heard it I thought I'd busted my brakes. Does the brake pedal vibrate slightly too?
  • Options
    slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also check that there isn't a build up of sludge and ice between the wheel and the wheel arch.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above, the only way to tell what's wrong is to take off the wheels and look, no amount of speculating will fix it.
    It could be absolutely nothing or worn out pads, nobody knows until the wheels are removed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    As above, the only way to tell what's wrong is to take off the wheels and look, no amount of speculating will fix it.
    It could be absolutely nothing or worn out pads, nobody knows until the wheels are removed.

Thankfully, when i got to my car this morning i cleared all the sludge etc from the wheel arch, set off and after about 10 mins of being able to drive at normal speed on a clear road the noise stopped, it only came back tonight when again i was on a sludgey icey road.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The griding noise is your ABS working as it thinkings your wheels are locking on the ice, caused by the skid when braking.
  • Options
    sandman112sandman112 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    slapmatt wrote: »
    Also check that there isn't a build up of sludge and ice between the wheel and the wheel arch.

this is the most likely answer i had that today as well, was driving about and hearing grinding noise, stopped for a look and sure enough, massive chunks of ice in the wheel arches knocked it out and nothing since ... all good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gage wrote: »
    The griding noise is your ABS working as it thinkings your wheels are locking on the ice, caused by the skid when braking.

at least i know the ABS works.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at least i know the ABS works.

This is true :D
  • Options
    DRY_SWEEPERDRY_SWEEPER Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

its your brake pads are touching the metal disc, what you want to do is go to your local spare parts place Halfords etc and get new pads and discs, these will be around £40.00 then take the parts to a back street garage ie a part worn tyre place, they will charge you around £30.00 to fit takes around one hour and a half

Dont go to Kwik Fit they will charge you around £199.00, I know just had mine done a couple of weeks ago, they will only fit their own parts, I already had the bits so said are you charging me £160 notes to fit them then slammed the phone down lol
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Gage wrote: »
    slapmatt wrote: »
    It'll be one of these two

If you can feel the vibration through the brake pedal - then it's probably ABS

No pedal vibration, and most prevalent while steering - then it's probably snow/ice buildup in the wheel-arch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    another vote for the abs

mine has made that noise a few times recently, i know my front brakes are fine, they were checked before my mot (which was last week)
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its your brake pads are touching the metal disc, what you want to do is go to your local spare parts place Halfords etc and get new pads and discs, these will be around £40.00 then take the parts to a back street garage ie a part worn tyre place, they will charge you around £30.00 to fit takes around one hour and a half

Dont go to Kwik Fit they will charge you around £199.00, I know just had mine done a couple of weeks ago, they will only fit their own parts, I already had the bits so said are you charging me £160 notes to fit them then slammed the phone down lol

How are you so sure? Most likely it is the ABS or ice build up. Idiotic to go out and buy new discs and pads before getting it checked out if it continues. Hope you didn't waste your money because you assumed the brakes were worn out but it was only the ABS was making a noise.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member

^This