Options

EastEnders cut one scene from New Years eve - spoilers

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    how is it worthy of a cry of 'pc brigade' for cutting a full shot of a dead baby? :confused: jeez whats wrong with people moaning because they cant see a close up of a dead baby?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »
    how is it worthy of a cry of 'pc brigade' for cutting a full shot of a dead baby? :confused: jeez whats wrong with people moaning because they cant see a close up of a dead baby?

No I think you're missing the point. It's not that people are desperate to see a dead baby! It's that they've hyped it up as being some of the grittiest scenes in EE history and people at the press screening agreed it was amazingly done but because of the outcry (despite no-one actually having seen it) they've edited it. I wanted to see exactly what those at the screening saw since they all agreed it was outstanding despite being hugely emoitonal, not a version that's been altered even though the changes are only small
    It's not the fact they've edited out a dead baby (as I don't particularly need to see that) it's the fact they've had to edit it full stop.
  • Options
    cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they hadn't done this :( I wanted to see the episodes the way the writers wanted it shown, i suppose this is what happens when you allow leaks and spoilers, people get hysterical over something they haven't even seen :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jason,Jason, Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    I'm pissed too. More about the cut Kat scene. How the hell will they explain her suddenly being rushed to hospital if we don't get to see the reason?? I mean what the **** is a bit of blood. Casualty and Holby City are never forced to cut back so why should EE? Doctors had a woman coughing up blood violently two weeks ago at 2pm in the afternoon.

EastEnders really should not have given in to the moaning minnies who only complain for complains sake anyway. EastEnders isn't Grange Hill or Byker Grove and never has been.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no pleasing some people. They'll still end up getting people complaining about the episode so editing IMO was pointless. Some people can't seperate fiction from reality so one scene isn't going to make a difference.
  • Options
    wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong thread, oops :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They showed Archie's brain splattered on The Vic floor, so I don't know why a bit of blood is worse. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally pissed off they're cutting more and more scenes. These scenes were described by the press yesterday as some of the most amazing scenes EE have ever done.

I feel we're being robbed of seeing them because they're afraid of upsetting some people most of which will find fault with this no matter what EE does :rolleyes:

They've given more than enough pre-warning about the storyline and the scenes coming up for the audience to chose whether they want to watch it or not.

Kirkwood really went all out for it with these scenes and now they've backtracked. I just feel they should have gone all out in this storyline or just not bothered if they feared of upsetting people.:mad:
  • Options
    Rapunzel2010Rapunzel2010 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Jason, wrote: »
    I'm pissed too. More about the cut Kat scene. How the hell will they explain her suddenly being rushed to hospital if we don't get to see the reason?? I mean what the **** is a bit of blood. Casualty and Holby City are never forced to cut back so why should EE? Doctors had a woman coughing up blood violently two weeks ago at 2pm in the afternoon.
    EastEnders really should not have given in to the moaning minnies who only complain for complains sake anyway. EastEnders isn't Grange Hill or Byker Grove and never has been.

bib. Spot on. The question is who chickened out really? did a few moaning posters who haven't even seen the episode yet were complaining force BK to change it or did the BBC tell him some scenes needed to be cut incase Ofcom kicked off and they wanted their asses in the clear?
  • Options
    RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We still see Ronnie find the baby dead.

We just don't see Ronnie touching the dead baby, shame really. I think they should of just cut out one part of the baby she touches, not both.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Jason, wrote: »

Doctors tends to show quite a bit
    and this is the reason the BBC have no plans to move it from the 1:45pm slot.
    Most Kids will be at school and they can show more at 1:45pm then at 5:30pm (thats the way they see it anyway)
    Doctors has been known to show steamy sex scenes,swearing and groundbraking gritty drama.

EastEnders whille i don't think they should have gave inti the PC Bas*ards i think it will be a good storyline,raiseawareness and do everything we expect it to do
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    totally dissapointing..... this is just ridiculous. i'm sick of everything being played too safe.

LETDOWN
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Why even bother?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure once the edited versions go out, people who were at the press screening will say it worked better without the edits. It's rare that a press screening gets so much coverage - Eastenders should have embraced it not chickened out.

We live in an age where people will complain about anything.....but as far as I'm aware everyone still has the option to turn off the television or not watch in the first place!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Juner wrote: »
    I'm sure once the edited versions go out, people who were at the press screening will say it worked better without the edits. It's rare that a press screening gets so much coverage - Eastenders should have embraced it not chickened out.

We live in an age where people will complain about anything.....but as far as I'm aware everyone still has the option to turn off the television or not watch in the first place!!!

What I noticed about the press screening is NOT one person criticised the episodes. They said yes they were harrowing and very grim but they also said they were amazingly done. No one said EE had went too far, in fact some said they were some of the best scenes in Eastenders history. While others said they were worthy of Bafta nominations, which makes me even angrier and feel more cheated :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditto. So many press people praised the episodes, the acting, and called it drama worthy of award accolades.....I fear we will now see a diluted and less powerful version.

I keep thinking about Billie's death episode and how powerful that was. A fine piece of BK/EE work which scored some high praise. I think NYE was probably shot in the same raw way and that's the way it should go out.

I feel sorry for Shane, Jessie and Sam who have lived this for months and now it seems like it was for nothing. Obviously I know we are losing seconds of footage but it was those seconds which caused such praise from the people who attended the screening.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to EastEnders, completely right decision, there's a difference from something being gritty and something being totally distasteful
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    catsmeow wrote: »
    What is the importance of seeing the body of Ronnie's baby, we all know he is dead. I think it is voyeuristic to want to see the poor little corpse as well.

Yes, well said!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MCRicken wrote: »
    What I noticed about the press screening is NOT one person criticised the episodes. They said yes they were harrowing and very grim but they also said they were amazingly done. No one said EE had went too far, in fact some said they were some of the best scenes in Eastenders history. While others said they were worthy of Bafta nominations, which makes me even angrier and feel more cheated :mad:

Have you really thought about it? What if you had just lost a baby in similar circumstances? Think how upsetting it would be!
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    They sound like very small cuts that aren't going to detract from the overall drama of the episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'd just been through something similar I wouldn't be watching.

Every day someone out there will be affected by a soap storyline. Should Hollyoaks tonight have been scrapped because of the young lady that is missing?

Should Corrie have not shown Molly's last breath so as not to upset anyone who had lost someone in a train crash?

Where do you stop. Soaps these days are publicised so much viewers have the choice as to whether or not they should tune into a storyline.

I stopped watching Neighbours for a few months when Steph went through her Cancer battle as I'd just lost someone and I knew it would upset me.

Soaps will always upset someone. They depict real life.
  • Options
    GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who gives a shit at this stage anyway, the character of Ronnie has been destroyed with this storyline, it's taking the misery that soap characters constantly suffer to a whole new level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Have you really thought about it? What if you had just lost a baby in similar circumstances? Think how upsetting it would be!

I have witnessed and lived through two people very close to me lose babies through SIDS, so yes I do know how upsetting it is actually. So don't make assumptions based on the fact I do want to watch the storyline the way it was originally intended.

And other people who have been through similar circumstances have the option NOT TO WATCH THE EPISODES. No one is forcing anyone to watch them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In a further change, they edited a scene which showed new mother Kat (Jessie Wallace) in blood-soaked pyjamas after husband Alfie (Shane Richie) finds her haemorrhaging in her bed.

This happened to me after I gave birth to my baby in hospital. This does happen. I received 5 pints of blood 4 days later!!
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know we don't need to see the baby but i still think they should have left it in rather than editing it out. It makes the show more realistic and to some seeing the baby might be a wake up call to how terrible and shocking cot death is it makes people aware. They showed Baby Hassan when the story was done back in 1985 it was done quietly it was very sad no doubt we will have ronnie screaming about her baby which as i have said before does the story no justice sometimes things come across a lot more powerfull if done in a very quiet manner.

I though baby Hassan's death was all the more powerful because of the way Sandy Ratcliffe (Sue) underplayed the emotion.