Options

Help find a career for a fussy 17 year old!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
Forum Member
✭✭
I posted a thread a few days asking for tips on becoming a Learning Support Teacher/Assistant, but for the 50th time this year i've again changed my mind. :( I'm in my last year of high school and am beginning to panic that I can't decide on what I want to do in life! :eek:

I've thought of becoming a primary school teacher (which still appeals strongly to me, but I don't have Int1 Maths thus can't take the required Int2 course for uni), a counsellor (was going to take a Child and Adolescent home learning course which would earn me a Diploma but i've no idea what to do after that and if the course is even genuine! :confused:), a youth worker and a learning support teacher. As you can tell i'm interested in working with kids/youths and although I don't have the best qualifications (I should have a Higher English, Youth Issues and RMPS plus several Intermediates below my belt by the end of August) i'm very determined to get somewhere in life! I've not taken education seriously until a few months ago, which is far too late, I know. :( I was an idiot for 16 years and only recently did I discover how much education i've wasted.

Is anyone willing to help me make up my mind and give me advice on what to do? I have a careers advisor at school but he's only in twice a week and he doesn't make any sense at all, plus the meetings are rushed due to our prelims coming up and teachers not allowing us to take too long at meetings. I'm so frustrated I can't make my mind up and don't have a clue how to get into anything! :(

Comments

• Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 26 and I'm still not quite sure what I want to do. I'm in a job which is ok and earns me money but I know it's not what I want to do until I retire, I just need to decide what that is.
    I know this isn't exactly helpful but at 17 you have a lot of time to find out what you want to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have GCSE's or A Levels?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Standard Grades, yes. :)
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Pediatrics? You'd have to do a standard medical degree first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Pediatrics? You'd have to do a standard medical degree first.

OP doesn't have the grades to get onto a medical degree!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    if you want to get better grades go to a local college to gain the level that is required for uni
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 47 and still don't know what to be when I grow up.

Seriously, chill out. You have time to try different careers. You don't have to map your whole life out now.

Try something - see if you like it.

Life's supposed to be an adventure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would advise perhaps getting a HNC in something general, such as Social Sciences, to gain an extra qualification. As far as I am aware, they are above Highers and should stand you in good stead when it comes to applying for university. Colleges also tend to have much better career advisors, and it would give you an extra year to suss things out whilst learning how to apply yourself fully to a course.

With regards to careers, well if you did a HNC in Social Sciences you could then apply for a Psychology degree in university, perhaps leading onto becoming a Child Psychologist if you still wish to work with children? Other career paths you could possibly take in life, working with youths/children, could be a Social Worker, Youth Mentor (where you help children who are underachieving in education)... Gosh, there are SO many things that you could do! I honestly would advise doing a HNC, it will open many more doors for you.

Don't give up; google 'working with children' etc to gather a fuller list of possible career paths, take a look at the relevant qualifications/degrees needed to achieve this, contact universities and ask them what qualification HNC you would need to access their course (as many just state the relevant highers/A levels on the website, but accept students with many different types of qualifications).

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above poster. I was not sure what to do in life at your age either. I done an HNC in social sciences, because I knew I wanted to do something in a caring profession. Ironically, I ended up doing a degree in Sociology, which by the end of it, although I enjoyed it, I was sure I was stuffed as far as getting a career, but I ended up doing an advanced diploma for graduates in nursing and 10 years later, I'm a senior nurse. It's probably not what you want, but it does show that an HNC in social sciences can get you into uni and can get you to a career you want!
  • Options
    100 monkeys100 monkeys Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    17 is way too young to be deciding your entire professional career in my opinion. It's what i think is so wrong our educational system. Kids shouldn't be forced to choose their career so early on in life.

Don't stress Shadow :) You have plenty of time to decide. For now though do you have the option of retaking some of your previous lower grades to enable you to then get on to the other courses you are interested in?

Take it easy. Take your time in choosing what is right for you. Too many people panic into a career they don't find interesting or fulfilling.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    17 is way too young to be deciding your entire professional career in my opinion. It's what i think is so wrong our educational system. Kids shouldn't be forced to choose their career so early on in life.

Don't stress Shadow :) You have plenty of time to decide. For now though do you have the option of retaking some of your previous lower grades to enable you to then get on to the other courses you are interested in?

Take it easy. Take your time in choosing what is right for you. Too many people panic into a career they don't find interesting or fulfilling.

The problem is, there are many careers where you do have to do a bit of forward planning at 16/17. At the very least, you need to rule those out at that age, otherwise you'll have spent years trying things out then realise you want to do something that would involve going back to do do the A-levels necessary to get onto the approporate degree course. If you want to do law or medicine, then you need to make that decision early. If you want to be a pilot, for example, you can't really leave it much later than about 22. Sometimes. doing courses when you are more mature can be an advantage, though - you tend to want to learn more when you are older.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is, there are many careers where you do have to do a bit of forward planning at 16/17. At the very least, you need to rule those out at that age, otherwise you'll have spent years trying things out then realise you want to do something that would involve going back to do do the A-levels necessary to get onto the approporate degree course. If you want to do law or medicine, then you need to make that decision early. If you want to be a pilot, for example, you can't really leave it much later than about 22. Sometimes. doing courses when you are more mature can be an advantage, though - you tend to want to learn more when you are older.

Agreed.

E.g. A Partner in an accountancy firm. 3 years doing a degree, up to 5/6 years studying for your professional exams, and then 20 years before becoming a partner?

You cant waltz into a career and make good money immediately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could do child nursing. There's a good career structure in it for those that want it and it's not as difficult to get into as ordinary university courses. If you don't have the qualifications you could take a year to get them at evening classes and start some proper training when you're 18.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True enough but 22 is still another five years for the OP.

The important thing is to have sufficient A Levels so that whatever you decide to do you can get into studying it at a higher level as quickly as possible without having to get up to scratch with your basic qualifications.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred Green wrote: »
    True enough but 22 is still another five years for the OP.

The important thing is to have sufficient A Levels so that whatever you decide to do you can get into studying it at a higher level as quickly as possible without having to get up to scratch with your basic qualifications.

To Shadow from the other Shadow :) I didn't have any epiphany about what career to take when I was your age, it came later. I knew it was something vaguely creative but I had no idea what jobs were out there that would pay in this field. I did as Fred has suggested and got a good set of A levels when I finished I had seen a film on commercial artists which was my revelation. I then went off and found out about how to do the job - talking to studios, took an apprentice book making course and went to art college.

So I think that if you know you want to do, go and talk to people. See if your careers advisor can put you in touch with websites, people or service who can advise you. Your county council will have a children and young people department and it might be worth seeing if you can volunteer with a play group, scouts or guides group to see if working with children is your thing or not. Volunteeing is a great way to explore opportunities without commiting to a career. You can find out here www.do-it.org.uk

Also the National Trust do education events for children too so that's worth looking at as they recruit volunteers to partake in living history.
    http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-chl/w-learning_discovery.htm

As far as education goes then perhaps concentrate on A levels and building up your basic qualifications so you have a platform on which to adapt to any career with training. The OU do a proper, accredited course - you mentioned you were concerned the home learning diploma was not recognised - well the OU most definitely are.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/childhood-and-youth/index.htm

http://www.workingwithkids.co.uk/

But I agree with what has been said, you have a lifetime ahead of you and it's so sad that at your age you are so worried about this, It's so unfair that you have this pressure to choose at such a young age. Enjoy exploring if you can and try not to worry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, thanks so much guys! Great help all of you. :) Will definately check out all the links and advice you've gave me. I didn't know there was so much careers with kids/youths. :eek:

At the moment, i'm still considering primary teaching. As I said, the only thing holding me back from that is I don't have the necessary qualifications. :( The entry requirements for Uni are BBBB, and an Int2 Maths. If I pass everything this year i'll only have 2/4 highers and no Maths. :( I could do another two Highers at college, I guess, but as for my Maths, I didn't pass Int1 and there's no colleges that do Int1. If I can't get my Int1, I can't progress into Int2 and thus can't get into the uni course! :( Arghhh.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    You can always take a couple of years to repeat what you need...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Wow, thanks so much guys! Great help all of you. :) Will definately check out all the links and advice you've gave me. I didn't know there was so much careers with kids/youths. :eek:

At the moment, i'm still considering primary teaching. As I said, the only thing holding me back from that is I don't have the necessary qualifications. :( The entry requirements for Uni are BBBB, and an Int2 Maths. If I pass everything this year i'll only have 2/4 highers and no Maths. :( I could do another two Highers at college, I guess, but as for my Maths, I didn't pass Int1 and there's no colleges that do Int1. If I can't get my Int1, I can't progress into Int2 and thus can't get into the uni course! :( Arghhh.

Can I just say that primary teaching is incredibly competitive at the moment. To get into it you will need heaps of experience with children and very good grades. I have very good grades from school and college and a 2:1 from a good red brick uni as well as years of experience with kids e.g. brownie leader, running kids clubs, Camp America etc and am still struggling to get on a PGCE simply coz there's s many people who want to do it, Hence why I am working as a teaching assistant until I finally get on a course.

I'm not saying don't try and do it, I believe everyone should go for their dreams, I'm just saying have realistic expectations. If you're not 100% sure then maybe get some voluntary experience with kids, starting now, and then try and become a teaching assistant first and see how much you enjoy it. You could always try and rectify the maths situation whilst doing that. Have a good think about what you want to do BEFORE going to uni as it's a hell of a lot of money now and you don't want it to be wasted on the wrong thing. Experience counts for a lot these days so try and get as much as you can in the fields that you're interested in. It sounds like volunteering for something like Brownies or Guides could help you a lot and is dead easy to get into, I started the week after I applied and they tend to CRB check you while you do it so you don't have to wait around for months before you start.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 47 and still don't know what to be when I grow up.

Seriously, chill out. You have time to try different careers. You don't have to map your whole life out now.

Try something - see if you like it.

Life's supposed to be an adventure.

I agree with this! I have no idea what I want to be, and I'm 38. Well, I have ideas of things I might like to do, but they change regularly. I've done lots of different things over the years.

It's never impossible to change careers, so if you pick something and do it for a bit and then decide it's not what you want, it's not the end of the world, far from it. I think it makes you a more rounded person, and hardly anyone goes into a career at 17 now and stays in it for ever.

When I finished my A levels I had no idea at all what I wanted to do, so I buggered off to France and then Switzerland and worked in various hotels and restaurants and then as an au pair, did some travelling, lots of skiing, lots of partying and having fun. I supported myself, had fun, and had time to think about and experience some of the kinds of things I liked and didn't like about working. After that I went to uni, changed uni course half way through, then trained as something else, and then changed career twice since then. No need to decide now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I agree with this! I have no idea what I want to be, and I'm 38. Well, I have ideas of things I might like to do, but they change regularly. I've done lots of different things over the years.

It's never impossible to change careers, so if you pick something and do it for a bit and then decide it's not what you want, it's not the end of the world, far from it. I think it makes you a more rounded person, and hardly anyone goes into a career at 17 now and stays in it for ever.

When I finished my A levels I had no idea at all what I wanted to do, so I buggered off to France and then Switzerland and worked in various hotels and restaurants and then as an au pair, did some travelling, lots of skiing, lots of partying and having fun. I supported myself, had fun, and had time to think about and experience some of the kinds of things I liked and didn't like about working. After that I went to uni, changed uni course half way through, then trained as something else, and then changed career twice since then. No need to decide now!

Agreed. I'm 25 and while I know that's not old, I did think I'd be well into my career by now following on from my degree and making loads of money... it hasn't quite happened like that! But I do have a lot of interesting experiences that I'm very thankful for :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I PM someone? :o I don't want to keep bumping this thread up all the time by asking daft questions. I honestly need someone to just be patient and try and help me understand everything and how i'm going to do things. :(
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Can I PM someone? :o I don't want to keep bumping this thread up all the time by asking daft questions. I honestly need someone to just be patient and try and help me understand everything and how i'm going to do things. :(

Threads are made to be bumped! :D

I would take a chill pill though, you're only 17!!! It's good to think about these things, to plan and so forth but I think your really getting too het up about all this.. I think there is a lot of unnecessary pressure and expectation to go to uni these days and secure a degree and 'career' early on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    I'd advise you to go and get a job so earn money to enable you to do what you want in the future, or pick an AS level course and get moving...
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    I will be 27 soon, and have only just got the job that i've always wanted to do. Although I have been to college and uni, the job I am doing now was always what I wanted to do once graduating, but took me another 4 years after uni before it came along to me:)

Things always work out in the end
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Threads are made to be bumped! :D

I would take a chill pill though, you're only 17!!! It's good to think about these things, to plan and so forth but I think your really getting too het up about all this.. I think there is a lot of unnecessary pressure and expectation to go to uni these days and secure a degree and 'career' early on.

Yeah, at school we keep being told that uni courses are very difficult to get into and we'd be lucky to get in unless we got perfect grades and that we should be planning our careers out now and that a decision has to be made as early as possible to what career you want and how to get into it.

And the main reason why I prefer PM's is so the full forum isn't laughing at me if I ask a daft question or something. :p