Options

Ascot bans fascinators.

AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This story made me laugh. Having seen some clueless fashion disaster wedding guests with clumps of feathers sticking out of their heads, I'm all for a good fascinator banning.

They're also banning strapless dresses though which I'm not so sure about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-16607875

So are they just trying to stop racing events turning into ones where everyone turns up looking like they did at Chester ladies day? Or being elitist?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1383932/Chester-Ladies-Day-Revealing-satin-saris-plenty-thigh.html

Comments

• Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Royal ascot is elitist, not its fashion policy, even rich people can be scruffs and poorer people can look well dressed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    This story made me laugh. Having seen some clueless fashion disaster wedding guests with clumps of feathers sticking out of their heads, I'm all for a good fascinator banning.

[/url]

Strapless dresses have always been banned in the Royal Enclosure. They're just trying to court publicity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's a fascinator?

Don't worry, it's in the article.

Fascinator over sells the concept of a small hat by quite a margin.
  • Options
    PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I'm in the commoners bit on thursday as I had already bought my fascinator when this was announced!
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I'd love to be one of the royals, like say Prince Harry. I'd turn up in jeans, a Slayer t-shirt and a combat jacket. I wonder if they'd ask me to leave ROYAL Ascot?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Last time I checked, it was 2012. What are we doing in this age restricting what people wear?
    It's as bad as nightclubs that won't let you in because you are wearing the "wrong type of shoes".

"a) Do you want my money and b) What the hell do you think I'm going to do with my canvas shoes? Kick the crap out of the rest of the patrons for not dancing in the correct manner?"
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I AGREE with this, and the strapless dresses.

I want to look at properly HIDEOUS and funny HATS.

And proper great and terrible FROCKS an' all.

I want a bit of posh on the telly, it makes me laugh. TOWIE and the like, I can watch on the appropriate programmes.:D
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the ones in the DM link did look a fright though.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Some of the ones in the DM link did look a fright though.:o

Not that group of five girls in pink though. :nom nom nom:
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutton is still mutton in a fascinator, a top hat or a burkha for that matter.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've no idea what a fascinator is

I like strapless dresses (on women)

I can't stand the BBC coverage of Royal Ascot and always watch something else and just flick over for the actual races

I'm unfeasibly excited at the prospect of watching Black Caviar on Saturday............I don't think I've been so excited about a horse race for 20 years or more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »

Aye, the lilly white legs are divine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    Aye, the lilly white legs are divine.

What's wrong with pale skin?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with pale skin?

Nothing :confused: hence why I was saying it was divine.
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »

So are they just trying to stop racing events turning into ones where everyone turns up looking like they did at Chester ladies day? Or being elitist?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1383932/Chester-Ladies-Day-Revealing-satin-saris-plenty-thigh.html

Good. Stay classy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    Nothing :confused: hence why I was saying it was divine.

Ah, apologies. I thought you were being sarcastic. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, apologies. I thought you were being sarcastic. :)

It's okay, I thought that too. Sorry Skyclad.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    It's okay, I thought that too. Sorry Skyclad.:o

It's forums, you can't convey sentiments the same as you can orally or visually.
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    Good. Stay classy.

You're a fascinator wearer aren't you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm attending a wedding in a couple of weeks, can't wait to see the assortment of weird and wonderful things sticking out of female guests hair!:D
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My gran has an ace fascinator collection. I like to steal them and be feathery.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First one in the purple hair would do me :)
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Good, Ascot is not supposed to be like the others. They became too lax with the standards of dress anyway in the 10 years that I went when I went the last time it wasn't up to the same standard . There are three different enclosures (there used to be four but they seem to have got rid of the Heath where you could wear whatever you wanted), so if you don't want to dress up up (hope that makes sense) then go in the Silver Ring, you have to be asked or put forward by someone who has been in the Royal enclosure for x amount of years in a row so really that is only for certain people. The Grandstand is where everyone else can go if they want to dress up with their hats etc.

Ascot has always been snobby, it is after all Royal Ascot the Queen goes everyday. (Ascot itself as a village is also quite classy you just have to see some of the cars that get parked down the high street). But it is also a very nice day out. Even their staff look immaculate, the men at the gates look amazing in their uniforms and hats. They were putting up all the temporay buildings when I drove past the other day. I prefer going to Ascot on a normal race day as it is much more relaxed and you can go up into all sections on the grand stand, we walked past the Royal Box, and you get an amazing view from the top of the grandstand which is closed off during Royal Ascot.