Herman cake

figsforteafigsfortea Posts: 104
Forum Member
A couple of weeks ago I was given a portion of sour dough (i think it's called Herman cake) to feed and stir for ten days, then divide into 4 giving 3 away and making the fourth into a cake by adding other ingredients, including spices, apple and raisins etc. I must admit I didn't fancy the end result at all til I took it out of the oven and had the most delicious moist cake i've eaten in years. I wonder how I could make one as good without all the 10 day stirring and feeding and has anyone else made one of these?

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds like something my german Aunt used to make she called it a friendship cake. I've never seen an easy version though, the idea is as you stir it over the days you make wishes for the friends you are going to give the starter yeasts to so it arrives with them with your love.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    They are called Herman cakes, my friend baked one.
  • AltheyaAltheya Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one given to me just after Christmas (I wonder if yours was part of the next generation!) and yes it was lovely, I wish I had actually kept one of the others and done a second batch.

They are called Herman cakes and I think they are supposedly from Amish origin.
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you can start from something like day 4 and skip.the first few days... If I remember correctly you basically start again at day 4 so the previous days are a bit superfluous.

I felt the same... Was quite wary then found it was utterly delicious.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adopted a Herman yesterday. He's growing nicely and my mouth is already starting to water at the thought of the cake at the end of 10 days.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was given my Herman five days ago, along with a slice of cooked Herman which was lovely and moist. I've renamed mine Boris and he's bubbling away in my kitchen, which now smells like a brewery.

I'm going to bake one cake with the traditional recipe and also try a pear and plum version.

Can't find anyone to pass it onto though. They've all got their own Hermans already!
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkie, make lots for yourself and freeze them. I had about 5 in the freezer but they've all gone now.:o:( The raspberry and white chocolate one was especially good.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmm well i'm not sure my first attempts with Herman were very successful. For a start he ended up being in the oven for twice the time he was meant to be, because he was so soggy in the middle. So now he's rather crispy round the edges. He tastes nice but very very sweet. Think I might put less sugar in than the recipe states next time. I made a traditional herman with apple and raisin, and also tried a pear and plum one. In both cakes the fruit has sunk to the bottom.
  • dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds delicious, this is the first time I've heard of this cake. What a great idea.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    hmm well i'm not sure my first attempts with Herman were very successful. For a start he ended up being in the oven for twice the time he was meant to be, because he was so soggy in the middle. So now he's rather crispy round the edges. He tastes nice but very very sweet. Think I might put less sugar in than the recipe states next time. I made a traditional herman with apple and raisin, and also tried a pear and plum one. In both cakes the fruit has sunk to the bottom.

I just cooked mine last week. Tasted lovely, very sweet but not too sweet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I made one last week with added banana and chocoalte chips.

Like yours Yorkigal, mine was in the oven for twice the time it stated on the recipe but was yummy once cooked (very sweet though!)