Options

Hershey's chocolate in ASDA

2»

Comments

• Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the greatest disappointments of my life was tasting a Hershey Bar, having longed to do so for some 15 years.
    The longing started after I watched the film Empire of the sun where a hershey bar is mentioned almost as if some kind of ultimate must have chocolate.
    The WORST choc. Bar i have tasted by some distance.
    Within the context of military rations, especially the snack element of MREs and the like, small things like a specific type of main course (chilli macaroni), accompaniment (for example a specific cheese) or a specific dessert item increases in importance exponentially.

People killed each other over canned peaches and poundcake in Vietnam, apparently.

Hershey were who the Yank equivalent of the MOD turned to in WW2 to develop the D-Ration bar (600kcal, chocolate that had the taste of a boiled potato).
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    What you ate is not chocolate. Hershey's tatses like sick on it's own. I do however like the peanut butter cups and the Nutrageous bars.
    Ohhh - I will NEVER forget that day! Colleague came back from holiday with a bag of Kisses - saw 7 of them on my monitor (we had big 21in CRTs back then), tried one, spat it out into my bin, shitcanned the rest.

I also saw how greasy Twinkies were in the clear pack - swore to NEVER try one. How to get the runs in one hit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it some and it tasted like vomit. Actually like that bitter, sour taste you get from vomit. We binned it.
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    What you ate is not chocolate. Hershey's tatses like sick on it's own. I do however like the peanut butter cups and the Nutrageous bars.

It's not just me then!
  • Options
    fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Hershey bars are horrible! I was so excited when I bought one in America and was so dissapointed, it tasted yuck.

pure muck ! i binned the thing too :mad:
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    It's because they use soured milk in the recipe, hence the vomit taste *heaves*
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    They sell the original ones and the Extra Creamy ones at Asda, the Extra Creamy ones taste like Galaxy but not quite as nice, edible but not worth the premium.
    Just had a try of the Extra Creamy and it was nice. No after taste whatsoever, and it wasn't a thousand miles from the Galaxy taste.

It was only £1.50, not a bad price. I think that's the same price as the equivalent in Dairy Milk (which I'm not disputing is still the superior bar).

I'd probably put it in the same "once in a while" category as the Lindt bars.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    On the pack it says it is produced in the US. I suppose they could make a different batch or have a seperate plant for bars destined for the EU.
    Had a quick check and mine was also made in the US, you maybe right they must have a separate line for the "weird foreign bars". ;)
    It's because they use soured milk in the recipe, hence the vomit taste *heaves*
    That is true. It's because they needed it to keep its shelf life in the early days, before they had AC in shops.

These bars on sale here though don't seem to have that taste. Although I'm not brave enough to try the Kisses which are the usual culprit for the barf after taste.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I once tried a Hersheys bar in America, when I was 5.... 16 years on and I still remember the god awful taste. Just hearing the name, makes me wanna vom.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some of those who've posted about Hershey's disgusting taste would be quite surprised by the bars on offer in this country, although the taste of the US bars is so bad I can image many would be willing to try.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard a lot of complaints about Hershey's chocolate, but I don't understand it. I'm not picky about chocolate, though.

I like Hershey's. I have had Cadbury (usually in egg form) a few times and I liked it. I like Dove, which is made by Mars. I'm not brand picky. Nestle is good, too.

Chocolate kisses are fantastic also. They make me thirsty, though.

Most of the types of chocolate I eat are probably made by Mars, such as Milky Way and Dove bars.

I did read that Hershey's stopped using milk chocolate in kisses in 2008, but I've had them since then and I haven't noticed any difference, unless maybe they switched back. Wiki says they switched back to milk chocolate. So IDK.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leanna1989 wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of complaints about Hershey's chocolate, but I don't understand it. I'm not picky about chocolate, though.

I like Hershey's. I have had Cadbury (usually in egg form) a few times and I liked it. I like Dove, which is made by Mars. I'm not brand picky. Nestle is good, too.

Chocolate kisses are fantastic also. They make me thirsty, though.

Most of the types of chocolate I eat are probably made by Mars, such as Milky Way and Dove bars.

I did read that Hershey's stopped using milk chocolate in kisses in 2008, but I've had them since then and I haven't noticed any difference, unless maybe they switched back. Wiki says they switched back to milk chocolate. So IDK.

It's just we have different tastes in chocolate between the two countries. A bit like our chocolate tastes are different to continental Europe.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've now tried the Milk, Extra Creamy(?) and Almond.
    The first two are perfectly fine. No real difference from Dairy Milk and Galaxy. (saying that i;m not a regualr chocolate eater).

But the almond one did have a slighty strange smell and aftertaste.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American chocolate is as awful as American beer... both are best left to the Belgians who do both brilliantly! Hershey really does taste of sick (except the peanut butter variety). It's because they add butyric acid, which is described in Wikipedia as

"found in butter, parmesan cheese, vomit, and as a product of anaerobic fermentation (including in the colon and as body odor). It has an unpleasant smell and acrid taste, with a sweetish aftertaste (similar to ether)."

I can only imagine that the Brits pining for this dross are the sort who lap up other overhyped and underwhelming American products (like Budweiser or Oreos) in the deluded belief these mass market choices make them look 'cool'. It just makes them look naff.

A nation speaks (comments section):
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/dec/08/hersheys-kisses-come-to-britain
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Nice sweeping statement there. The US has many micro breweries as well as mass production the same as in the UK for those who don't like Bud, Carling, Fosters etc.

Also, if you had followed the thread you would have noticed that people have been impressed with the Milk and Extra Creamy bars. They taste like British cholocate bars.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swiss produce the best chocolate and some of our micro breweries produce some great beer.

Never been fond on American beer to be honest, and Lager you can keep, any brand.

I only tried Hershey chocolate once when a friend brought some back from the states and it was not that good.

I only been to our Asda once since it opened a few years back, so I doubt I will get a chance to try Hershey again.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    The Hersheys I had from my Local Asda was made in the USA, but this was when they first started appearing in Asda, not sure about now, will check tomorrow if I remember.

I do hate this though, if it's American, import it. I'd rather pay the higher price to have the 'real' thing, otherwise once the recipe has changed it ceases to become what it once was if that makes sense. When I go on holiday to Greece, I drink Mythos lager which is 5% stuff. Buy Mythos in the uk and it is 4.7%. I'm sorry but that isn't Mythos to me.

I drink Mythos in Greece too, its nice :)
    I've noticed UK lager has decreased its % over the years - eg UK Kronenbourg 1664 is 5%, in France, its 5.5%, and Stella used to be 5.2% in the UK for years, then it was 5% and has very quickly dropped to 4.8% :rolleyes:
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American chocolate is as awful as American beer... both are best left to the Belgians who do both brilliantly! Hershey really does taste of sick (except the peanut butter variety). It's because they add butyric acid, which is described in Wikipedia as
    noise747 wrote: »
    Never been fond on American beer to be honest, and Lager you can keep, any brand.

What do you know about American beer or chocolate? Why do people on this forum continually insist on generalizing comparing themselves to a country 38 times larger than their own with five times the population? It's so absurd.

Anyway, Snickers and Mars are both American and last time I checked they were pretty good sellers over here... even though I'd hardly classify them, or Dairy Milk for that matter as chocolate. At the moment, like it or not, the u.s. is producing more artisan chocolate than anywhere else in the world, including Belgium where so much of what's made there these days is part of large industrial chains. These will be American confections that I guarantee you will have never heard of nor tried.

As for beer, well, your CAMRA people as well as the esteemed Beer Hunter think "American cities now offer a diversity of beer styles far greater than that to be found in any single European country". That's a quote from the 90s. https://shop.camra.org.uk/product.php?id_product=26 500 craft breweries on the west coast alone, and that's not even all of them. http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000212.html

I swear to god this is the last time I bother commenting on this subject. :D
  • Options
    AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    What do you know about American beer or chocolate? Why do people on this forum continually insist on generalizing comparing themselves to a country 38 times larger than their own with five times the population? It's so absurd.

Anyway, Snickers and Mars are both American and last time I checked they were pretty good sellers over here... even though I'd hardly classify them, or Dairy Milk for that matter as chocolate. At the moment, like it or not, the u.s. is producing more artisan chocolate than anywhere else in the world, including Belgium where so much of what's made there these days is part of large industrial chains. These will be American confections that I guarantee you will have never heard of nor tried.

As for beer, well, your CAMRA people as well as the esteemed Beer Hunter think "American cities now offer a diversity of beer styles far greater than that to be found in any single European country". That's a quote from the 90s. https://shop.camra.org.uk/product.php?id_product=26 500 craft breweries on the west coast alone, and that's not even all of them. http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000212.html

I swear to god this is the last time I bother commenting on this subject. :D

I think because those that do only head to Orlando to go to Disneyworld and stop off at a 7/11 store for supplies, hence the selection of Hershey and Budweiser.,

I always wonder if it's because there is 'less' choice over there, and that is what they are used to, having a few choices only? whereas here, there is a huge range, and price wise, Hersheys is at the bottom to be honest, and maybe the British go for 1. name brand. Who hasn't heard of Hershey, and 2. Price,. Why spend more for a better brand of chocolate when you can spend $0.80 for a CANDY bar . Hershey is considered a candy bar, not a fine chocolate. I wonder why they never try Scharffen Berger, Ghirardelli, even Sees, or as you mentioned, many of the artisan brands scattered around the cities in this country, Even Hawaii produces good artisan chocolates as well. Not to mention, you can find almost any brand of import in the shops such as Lindt, Godiva, Cadbury among a few. I personally love a Hershey bar, but I eat it in 1 minute, it's not a fine bar where you savor it, you devour it. Or at least I do.

Beer, many towns and cities have micro breweries and produce many artisan beers, Anchor Steam is a popular San Francisco company, Some good ones are here in Hawaii, Maui Red, many cities across the country produce beers. I have no idea why they think we drink only Coors and Budweiser. Its like thinking the Australians only drink Fosters and Guiness is the only thing sold in Ireland. Boggles the mind. Don't get me started on their impressions on tea, tea pots and salad ordering habits!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reeses cups and the white chocolate cookie is lovely but the milk Hersheys is barf in a bar