first time standing at concert help pls

2»

Comments

• Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsbadger wrote: »
    I know what you mean about being close but not crushed.
    Are you planning on queuing for a long time as well to get close to the stage.? Where are you seeing her at?

I've decided to queue just 2 hours before the doors open, though I might stretch to 3. Can't do any more than that or I'd lose my marbles!
    I'm seeing her at Vicar Street in Dublin which has a max capacity of only 1,500 anyway so I'm hoping the queues might not be that big:o
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see Brandi Carlile at Islington Assembley hall last night. Got there at 4.30 for 7.00pm doors,there were about fifteen people already queueing. A lot of people,including myself had e-tickets/collect on door,but whilst we were being checked in they were letting anyone with physical tickets through,so people who hadn't turned up till later were getting in in front of those who'd queued for three hours or more. By the time I got in I ended up about four rows from the stage when by rights I should have got the barrier or at worst second row. Quite a few people were complaining.

On the other hand went to Amy MacDonald at Hammersmith and due to work got there about half an hour before doors with at least two hundred or more in front. They opened the outer doors but then held everyone in the foyer for a couple of minutes before opening the inner doors to the standing area. I managed to work my way up the side and got right up by the doors so when they opened I legged it down the front and got on the barrier dead centre stage :D

Also when I saw her at The Roundhouse during the i-tunes festival I had arrived early and was at the front of the queue. They opened the doors,we went in and upstairs/in the lifts and my two friends and I went straight into the main area and down to the barrier centre stage. We then noticed only half a dozen people had followed us in,then a couple of stewards came over and said they weren't opening the doors yet and we were supposed to wait outside-which hadn't been made clear as no-one had stopped us going straight in.Went back out and the queue was stretching round from the doors but people who'd seen us right at the front of the original queue let us back in so we got our places back.

Another one was the first Taylor Swift UK gig at Kings College London Student Union Hall. When I got there the queue had started forming inside the foyer and was out onto the main approach with people queueing on the stairs. They wanted everyone off the stairs and back down on to the street and were shouting at people to move backwards. No one behind me was moving and I stood my ground,arguing that I would move back when those behind me did so. They then started throwing people ahead of me out of the queue for refusing to move,at the same time those behind me were gradually shuffling backwards and I ended up at the front of the queue at the bottom of the stairs and got straight in!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Wow Phil you have been pretty lucky!!! I hope we are that lucky
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Question! If we buy merchandise on the way in, there is less chance of being near the front isn't there.??
    Correct! As soon as the doors to the arena where the stage is are opened, you should hold hands and run (or walk very quickly as stewards will be yelling at everyone not to run) straight past merch to whatever spot you want to be in. Personally for me, I leave merchandise stands till after the show. If they are sold out of what you want by the end, try another one, there's always a few.
    Daughter is looking forward to talking and meeting other believers.

It's always great to meet like minded music fans and get chatting about who you are there to see, but let me advise you on this, any friends you make while queuing, all the nice singalongs and chats you have in the line will be forgotten as soon as the doors open. Unless you hold hands with them as you run in, you'll probably never see them again as it is every man for themself in the mad dash for the stage. Just bear that in mind!
    So if we can't queue till 9.30 and people get there before do they just hang around.?

Correct! There will no doubt be a queue outside the venue main entrance on the street. How big this is usually depends on the calibre of act. Someone like Bieber who has (for reasons I personally can't fathom) undeniably huge
    appeal, I'd imagine his fans will be out in force on the day. Just make sure to stress to your daughter that it might not be possible to be really near the front just so she isn't dissappointed and gets her hopes up. Hey, if you do make it near the front, then that will be a really pleasant surprise and it will feel like a bonus to her :)

All the best!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Lol Davido your post made me laugh. As I know. What you mean about as soon as the doors open its every man for himself
    My daughter is aware that she may not be right at the front. But she is one of those ruthless bieber fans. So I will let you know how we got on lol !!