3rd Indy Ref Debate: Ruth Davidson and Kezia Dugdale shine

barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
Forum Member
I really have no side when it comes to the indy ref debate. But my goodness they were great tonight, I don't care if Davidson is a Tory, but that was a very impressive performance, Kezia Dugdale too. I liked Elaine Smith too on the Yes side, but I have a feeling that may pip it for the No's.

Comments

• duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dugdale has been outstanding.

I thought Smith was awful, her main argument seems to be snorting laughter and pulling on heart strings.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because things are SO GREAT as they are, unionists?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and you know what happens if we keep looking at something?
    YOU GO BLIND!
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dugdale, the woman that was elected promising SNP policies certainly didn't shine tonight
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think the OP may also be deaf as well. Ruth was very disappointing, making a couple of snide wee remarks, as well. Elaine was superb, maybe plauing to the crowd a bit, Nicola was her usual self confident, self assured and I was very impressed with Patrick Harvie. first time I have heard him speak on the subject and he handled himself well.

The big difference, YES are passionate about what they believe in, No are just negative and talking down or Scotland
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Think the OP may also be deaf as well. Ruth was very disappointing, making a couple of snide wee remarks, as well. Elaine was superb, maybe plauing to the crowd a bit, Nicola was her usual self confident, self assured and I was very impressed with Patrick Harvie. first time I have heard him speak on the subject and he handled himself well.

The big difference, YES are passionate about what they believe in, No are just negative and talking down or Scotland

No seemed much more realistic and came across very well when not being shouted upon, Yes do have a lot of passion, but it comes off as more emotional than realism 'La la la, English rule over Scotland will be over' la la la not listening'. Harvie on defence was just embarrassing.
  • Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found no really didn't answer the what ifs of a no vote very well. But really enjoyed this debate. Nice to hear positive arguments on both sides for a change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an actual DEBATE, with the audience, and not with each other, the second two did they were denied :D

how they should have done all the other ones
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    The better together campaign is proof that you can't polish a turd
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member

How eloquent. A nice thought to go to bed with.

Anyway. Good luck. I hope you win. England expects....
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    angarrack wrote: »
    How eloquent. A nice thought to go to bed with.

Anyway. Good luck. I hope you win. England expects....

Sleep tight :)
  • WBAboyWBAboy Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    As I posted in the 'debate' thread I can't believe what I'm hearing!

Every 'Yes' person avoids answering and ends up yammering on about 'the will of the Scottish people' which brings clapping and cheers from the dedicated flock!

I really hope Scotland votes no but if not, welcome to the UK those in Scotland who wish to get out!

A fond (not) Black Country 'Ta Taa' to the rest.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Ruth Davidson was a bit poor particularly with the closing arguement. Kezia Dugdale and Douglas Alexander both did very well. Elaine C. Smith and Patrick Harvie seemed to be living in cloud cuckoo land not Scotland. Nicola Sturgeon did well I thought.

Better Together 2-1 Yes
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »

Here in Edinburgh everything is awesome, to quote the lego movie.

I recommend moving from Paisley.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :kitty:)
  • TheTruthIsNowTheTruthIsNow Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »

Unionists really are doing a great Unikitty impression.

Must. Stay. POSITIVE. ARRRRGGGHHHHH.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »

Like anywhere in the UK and indeed the world it depends where you live. If you live in Aberdeen, the NE, the Highlands etc then things are generally very good with the lowest levels of unemployment in the UK, highest start up rates of new businesses in the UK and generally very good standards of living.

I do think if many central belters looked beyond the M8 they'd find that Scotland isn't the welfare, foodbank poverty stricken hellhole the Yes camp want you to think.

Oil firms in Aberdeen are begging for people to move to the area to work...
  • BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Like anywhere in the UK and indeed the world it depends where you live. If you live in Aberdeen, the NE, the Highlands etc then things are generally very good with the lowest levels of unemployment in the UK, highest start up rates of new businesses in the UK and generally very good standards of living.

I do think if many central belters looked beyond the M8 they'd find that Scotland isn't the welfare, foodbank poverty stricken hellhole the Yes camp want you to think.

Oil firms in Aberdeen are begging for people to move to the area to work...

Think how much better everything will be after independece
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

so would i
    i live in renfrew
    :D

and moving tomorrow too ..... about 500 yards
    :kitty:

might as well be 500 MILES, as i said .....
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »
    Think how much better everything will be after independece

It wont be, Alex Salmond and co are making pledges and threats that they know simply cannot be afforded or carried out for Scotland to have any credibility internationally.

At present Scotland and the UK can get away with running a large deficit because our currency and central bank are internationally respected, and our Government has a trusted and proven track record of paying its debts. Thus not only are the markets willing to lend money they are willing to lend it at the lowest rates of interest on the planet.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So true you only need to look at Salmond as definitive proof :D

Still the Aye campaign are lagging behind and unlikely to win as folk have realised that Utopia will mean savage cuts to public services and pensions.

As for Ms Smith what an utter bawbag, by the way she was a turd as an actress.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    No seemed much more realistic and came across very well when not being shouted upon, Yes do have a lot of passion, but it comes off as more emotional than realism 'La la la, English rule over Scotland will be over' la la la not listening'. Harvie on defence was just embarrassing.

Harvie still has not realised that the vast majority of the current members of the forces in Scottish regiments, airforce ect will NOT be part of a new defence initiative for Scotland, preferring to remain with the RUK army,navy,airforce as it will offer better career progression and financial security. A family member who is a proud scot currently serving with a Scottish regiment has made it quite clear he will not be part of a Scottish army in an independent Scotland