Options

Rupert Murdoch YouGov poll in the Times gives Yes a 1 point lead over No

Comments

• Options
    AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An opinion poll is entirely different to walking into a polling booth and putting a cross next to YES in my opinion. Especially when the realisation hits that there is no going back. Ever.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyTSJ wrote: »
    An opinion poll is entirely different to walking into a polling booth and putting a cross next to YES in my opinion. Especially when the realisation hits that there is no going back. Ever.

Agree completely and it doesn't prove a thing as to how the referendum will go, but that opinion poll is a massive shot in the arm for the Yes side.....it could swing momentum dramatically in their direction.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyTSJ wrote: »
    I suppose it's the same way the other way round too - this will probably be the only chance for generations of Scots to decide their own future politically - it's either semi devolution or full Scottish independence inside the commonwealth - it's wonderful to see democracy in action deciding the wish of the people.
  • Options
    dirty dingusdirty dingus Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A flash mob in Glasgow today that started with 30 folk that just got bigger, this is political engaging, no red, blue, yellow or tartan ties, just the public having fun and enjoying their place in the big decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjAJLggpW2I
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Why are you all so worried about a yes vote? If it is so what? Does Scotland mean much to any of us who are not from Scotland? Does part of the Uk leaving mean much in reality?

It will make politics in these next few years majorly interesting and maybe people will stop taking politics for granted so much in the country and start engaging if Scotland leaves and people actually get a wake up lesson.

Why would I want to hold the Scottish people in something they don't want to be in? If enough of them vote to elave they have made their choice and we have to respect it. Afterall, the SNP were voted into power and everyone knew their eventual mandate from day 1. It was right in the name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you all so worried about a yes vote? If it is so what? Does Scotland mean much to any of us who are not from Scotland? Does part of the Uk leaving mean much in reality?

It will make politics in these next few years majorly interesting and maybe people will stop taking politics for granted so much in the country and start engaging if Scotland leaves and people actually get a wake up lesson.

Why would I want to hold the Scottish people in something they don't want to be in? If enough of them vote to elave they have made their choice and we have to respect it. Afterall, the SNP were voted into power and everyone knew their eventual mandate from day 1. It was right in the name.

I'm just thinking this means Scotland would be competing in Eurovision and the Olympics as an independent nation from now on (providing both events accept them as members of course) :)
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair BelfastGuy it could have massive ramifications for yous in Northern Ireland especially ... Senior members of Irish department of foreign affairs have said they are looking in to effects a YES vote may have on the north especially.
  • Options
    DontgimmeevalsDontgimmeevals Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    irishfeen wrote: »
    it's wonderful to see democracy in action deciding the wish of the people.

No it's not. The 'people' can be rather irrational and easily swayed by nationalism.

To me and the rest of the UK and even the world it is plainly clear that there is no case for Scottish independence. Yet here they are about to vote for independence...this is why we do not give the masses constant referendums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting.
    WTF?? What's disgusting? - people having a singalong on the street ... Great stuff.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    No it's not. The 'people' can be rather irrational and easily swayed by nationalism.

To me and the rest of the UK and even the world it is plainly clear that there is no case for Scottish independence. Yet here they are about to vote for independence...this is why we do not give the masses constant referendums.

Jesus...the PEOPLE run the world. It is our world you know. People hold no ties to the UNITED KINGDOM as some abstract machine. If Scottish people vote to leave we all have to respect that. There is a case for Scottish independence if the people who actually live there deem it such.

I don't know why you feel so worried. It does not affect your life one bit. If you are having some doomsday scenario of the world laughing at the Uk being relegated to a second tier state...well wake up, cause we're already there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting.

We not allowed to have fun in the Union?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The will of the people only serves against the will of the people? Ok I thought democracy was a given, apears not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jesus...the PEOPLE run the world. It is our world you know. People hold no ties to the UNITED KINGDOM as some abstract machine. If Scottish people vote to leave we all have to respect that. There is a case for Scottish independence if the people who actually live there deem it such.

I don't know why you feel so worried. It does not affect your life one bit. If you are having some doomsday scenario of the world laughing at the Uk being relegated to a second tier state...well wake up, cause we're already there!

The people do NOT run the world.

Only about 0.001% of the world population actually run the world, the rest of the world are just sheep.

And rightly so.

If we allowed the people to have a say all the time we would have to deal with politics influenced by emotion rather than cold hard facts.

It is very dangerous to allow the people to have a say in politics, and yes I do realise how crazy that sounds, but it's true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah we in Ireland have referendums almost constantly (3-4 next year are planned) because our constitution guarantees us the right to debate the issue and walk into the local voting centre and democratically decide - it's what democracy should be.

It's our country, not some elite politicians or business people but us the people - us.

Referendums are an exceptional showcase of the democratic process, the Scots have every right to decide their faith next week or next year or 10 years time.
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very debatable about undecided voters on the day - voters subconsciously back winners.. If YES gain more momentum I think it will be unbelievably close.

I think it's highly unlikely that anybody undecided at this stage will suddenly vote 'yes'. It's not a run of the mill election where the gov can change again in a few years. It's a big thing and I expect that anybody undecided will err on the side of caution and vote no.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Worry is the right way to view it. We all understand what the No vote is we just carry on as before nothing every much changes. The 'Yes' vote brings a large degree of uncertainty to both Scotland and in a less respect to the UK.

People don't like change much at all however when so many things are still unknown it makes it much worst. We can look at the picture of Scotland and UK as a divorce. It will get ugly, fights over who owns what, how much is it worth. But nobody can really say what the future is in 5 or 10 years time ? What currency, how to do they join the euro, will the oil last, will banks and business leave over the uncertainty.

What worried people the most is how it will affect their income. Lets face it Scotland will be doubling up most of its services, armed forces, civil servants, pass port control. Some will transfer from the UK so they will need to be replaced. While it will create more jobs some will of course go like the armed forces, navy etc. What is certain is that both Scotland and UK will see a rise in costs which will have to be paid. Scotland or the UK the government only have one source of money for this which is us.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Ah we in Ireland have referendums almost constantly (3-4 next year are planned) because our constitution guarantees us the right to debate the issue and walk into the local voting centre and democratically decide - it's what democracy should be.

It's our country, not some elite politicians or business people but us the people - us.

Referendums are an exceptional showcase of the democratic process, the Scots have every right to decide their faith next week or next year or 10 years time.

I agree it's a wonderful constitution. But it didn't stop the Irish government guaranteeing to honour the debts of its private banks or bailout their bondholders which bankrupted the country! Nor did or prevent the country being run by the Catholic Church for 50 years with all the oppression that resulted from that. When it really matters the people aren't asked!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thank god I don't live in Ireland then.

This may partly explain why the Irish economy tanked so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impinger wrote: »
    I think it's highly unlikely that anybody undecided at this stage will suddenly vote 'yes'. It's not a run of the mill election where the gov can change again in a few years. It's a big thing and I expect that anybody undecided will err on the side of caution and vote no.
    Well we don't have long to go to find out exactly what will happen - for me as an outsider (doesn't really affect me) it's great to watch it as a political spectacle.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Thank god I don't live in Ireland then.

This may partly explain why the Irish economy tanked so much.

The screw up with the economy was because they didn't ask the people and let the elites and politicians decide.
  • Options
    GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't fear people! England will be fine without Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Impinger wrote: »

You'd be surprised though. Most people assumed all year that the No vote was home and dry. The Yes vote being ahead less than a fortnight before the referendum is a bit of a shocker for everyone concerned and maybe a game changer : people can see there is a very real chance that Scotland may leave the UK and this is really going to shake up the undecideds. If the momentum starts to swing in favour of the Yes side in the coming days, we're in for a fascinating period....those voting yes now know that may even be onto a potential winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I agree it's a wonderful constitution. But it didn't stop the Irish government guaranteeing to honour the debts of its private banks or bailout their bondholders which bankrupted the country! Nor did or prevent the country being run by the Catholic Church for 50 years with all the oppression that resulted from that. When it really matters the people aren't asked!

In fact, De Valera's constitution led to the madness of the Catholic church running the country for decades and has left us with the almighty mess of the current abortion laws.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    You see we had to write it into our constitution because before 1922 we didn't get a say about anything ... Murder, rape, beatings, torture etc. was really as much as we got - you are right it is a wonderful constitution.

The thing is that the British constitution didn't stop murder, hatred bigotry, economic suppression in a major part of the Union between 1922-1998 - we not perfect but neither is Britain my friend.