Game of Thrones - Overrated?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
I do think it's good, but not as good as everyone says.. I find it pretty boring and dragging on too long in most parts.. it relies a lot on violence and sexual content, which is cheap and easy to do.

Comments

• The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what "overrated" actually means.

Some people like it.

Some people won't mind it.

Some people will love it.

Some people will hate it.

I am in the "love it" camp

The sex and violence are vital parts of the show. Some shows use them as shock tactics but for GOT's it's such a important part of the story without it the story would be very very different
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I do think it's good, but not as good as everyone says.. I find it pretty boring and dragging on too long in most parts.. it relies a lot on violence and sexual content, which is cheap and easy to do.

It is as good as everyone says it is. The cinematography, special effects, costume design, actors, script/dialogue - It's all second to none IMO. If you don't like the pacing of the story that's your problem but don't mark it down because the show takes its time to flesh out the story/characters because it's all the richer for it!

If anything the slow parts of the show make you appreciate it more when something big happens. A bit like how you need the bad times to appreciate the good times (not saying any part of the show is bad but you know what i mean :p)
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »
    It is as good as everyone says it is. The cinematography, special effects, costume design, actors, script/dialogue - It's all second to none IMO. If you don't like the pacing of the story that's your problem but don't mark it down because the show takes its time to flesh out the story/characters because it's all the richer for it!

If anything the slow parts of the show make you appreciate it more when something big happens. A bit like how you need the bad times to appreciate the good times (not saying any part of the show is bad but you know what i mean :p)

Almost every episode is epic with it acting, scripting, special effects, scenery, and cinematography. I can not fault it.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    The few eps I did see I saw nothing wrong with but I have a big problem getting into things that there are huge audiences for. The same thing happened with Harry Potter. I just can't get into things like that.
  • EosterwineEosterwine Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    ...certainly overhyped.
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's great as a tv show. Not a patch on the books though
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Not sure what "overrated" actually means.

Some people like it.

Some people won't mind it.

Some people will love it.

Some people will hate it.

I am in the "love it" camp

The sex and violence are vital parts of the show. Some shows use them as shock tactics but for GOT's it's such a important part of the story without it the story would be very very different

This ^^ and
    Jon79 wrote: »

This ^^

Game of Thrones is superb quality in both production and storyline. The books are even better.
  • SupersarahpSupersarahp Posts: 4,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm totally obsessed with it

I love it
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No...
  • Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best watched in conjuction with the books as it gives a greater appreciation of all the side characters who get about 3 lines per year on the show. Easily the best show on air currently imo.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Subjective.

It is well viewed and much acclaimed. Not everyone will like it, but many do and it is a success.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    The few eps I did see I saw nothing wrong with but I have a big problem getting into things that there are huge audiences for. The same thing happened with Harry Potter. I just can't get into things like that.

What difference does it make to you that there's a huge audience? It's not as if you have to watch it with them :D

I don't know anybody else who watches it, none of my friends do. :(
  • Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »

So you can't watch GOT because it has a big audience? I find that quite odd but each to their own I guess.

I don't think it's overhyped or overrated. I'd put in the same bracket as Breaking Bad, Sopranos as great tv shows. Story telling is so good. It's not really the type of show you can watch 1 or 2 eps and pass judgment on the series.
  • MinttymintMinttymint Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Eh, despite it being something I would usually like, when I actually tried watching it I just.. didn't get into it. Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine but the more I hear about how great it is the less I like it. So many of my friends see me not liking the show as a problem for them to fix...
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Baelish brothel scene in S1 that seemed to go on forever and was definately only there because it's HBO. It's a fantastic show though and I'm totally addicted!
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it but I just cannot stand how many sex/boob scene we get. Don't get me wrong, I love boobies but it's like HBO have instructed GOT to show x amount of boobies per season.
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,735
    Forum Member
    I think it's a decent show for what it does - it's not the best show on TV ever, but it's also done what many would have thought impossible and brought what would normally be looked on as geeky fantasy into the mainstream consciousness.

My husband who hates fantasy as much as I love it watches GOT each week and normally he wouldn't touch this sort of thing with a barge pole.

I think if you've been with it since the start you would now probably find it quite difficult to leave it - but if you're trying to start with it coming into it now then you probably won't stand much chance of understanding it - which may be why some people find it hard to 'get into'.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »

I suspect the "boring and dragging on" parts involving lots of dialogue, character development and political manoeuvring are the actually what makes the show. It sounds as though you like the violence and sexual content bits only.
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    I love it but I just cannot stand how many sex/boob scene we get. Don't get me wrong, I love boobies but it's like HBO have instructed GOT to show x amount of boobies per season.

That was probably the case at the start but I think it's been toned down since the first series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    I love Game of Thrones but have to disagree with "the sex is vital to the show". It's not. Sometimes it is but most of the time it isn't. It's just chucked in to keep the boys and old men watching. One scene that specifically comes to mind was the unnecessary scene in series 1 with the two girls flicking eachother off while Littlefinger looks on and gives some looooong speech. Bor-ing! The sex doesn't bother me too much or ruin my enjoyment of the show but I'm glad they've toned it down a bit. It just adds nothing to the story for me.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always loved the Fantasy genre with dragons swords castles etc etc, which is what first made me want to watch Game Of Thrones, the tits & violence are just an added bonus to a great series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I still love it, but the HBO show makes me love the books that much more.
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very much in the it is good but not great camp. I think some of the characters are really interesting but the thing that bugs me more than anything is how there are so many plots going on at the same time.

I get that it's a huge area with different things going on in the various parts of the world but sometimes I feel it's switches too much at times, some of the better episodes have been in my view where it focuses mainly on one particular arc.

There is also one major bugbear I have with the show which may be rectified in the future (I haven't read the books so I don't know if it will)
    The White Walkers or specifically the lack of them. I thought they were going to bring an interesting dynamic. Early on you got the impression they were the major threat and were going to sweep through the kingdoms from the north.

I also had a WTF! this is cool moment when I watched that scene where they took Craster's last son to an alter and what looked like a leader figure turned the baby into a White Walker simply by touch.

Now the books which I stress I haven't read may explore them further but I think it's disappointing that it feels like that arc is completely dead (no pun intended).
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand that some people find it alienating because many plots do go on at once. In fact, I found the show so confusing, i dropped it mid-season 1. But there was something about it that made me give it a chance. GOT is one of those shows that isn't for anybody. Because it requires close attention, otherwise you will be lost. I find myself lost at times, and normally either re watch episodes or seek answers through detailed episode synopsis. I understand if those are the reasons why some have given the show a pass.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Overrated I see, Blasphemy I hear.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    varsas wrote: »
    That was probably the case at the start but I think it's been toned down since the first series.

I agree, there's nowhere near as much sex as there was in the beginning, a change which is also reflected in the books themselves so not a great surprise. Violence has always been at the heart of this set of novels with the sex just a byline to it and a reason for the whole Game to begin in the first place (ie the Lannisters).
    I love Game of Thrones but have to disagree with "the sex is vital to the show". It's not. Sometimes it is but most of the time it isn't. It's just chucked in to keep the boys and old men watching. One scene that specifically comes to mind was the unnecessary scene in series 1 with the two girls flicking eachother off while Littlefinger looks on and gives some looooong speech. Bor-ing! The sex doesn't bother me too much or ruin my enjoyment of the show but I'm glad they've toned it down a bit. It just adds nothing to the story for me.

Totally disagree, that scene was deliberately put in to demonstrate Baelish's utter disregard for anyone else outside of his own ambitions. It showed his indifference, his callousness, his "means to an end" way of dealing both with his girls and with his clients and built up to Ros' sticky end a couple of seasons later, where she was discarded by him having used up her usefulness.

There's an interesting piece on the whole sexposition of GoT here.

The relevant part of the original article (no idea why it's asterisking his name):
    M****t himself, however, did not necessarily mean "sexposition" to have negative connotations. In particular, M****t felt that the Ros/Armeca scene while Petyr Baelish explains his past was actually quite a deft way of handling that lengthy exposition.
    As M****t explained, it is an example of how "sexposition" can be used to successfully inform the audience about a character, saying: "The Littlefinger sequence is an interesting one in that it has clear thematic implications on his view of power, on the idea of Littlefinger as the prostitute (of the government), always able to convince others that they are in control when it's really a charade."
    That is, Littlefinger advised Ros that her clients will know she is a prostitute, and won't be swayed by easy manipulations. Rather, the trick is to very slowly convince the client that he really is something special, that he truly has impressed her and wooed her devotion.
    In parallel, Ned Stark knew from the beginning that Littlefinger was a manipulative courtier, but Baelish "seduced" Ned's trust by slowly convincing him that he had appealed to Baelish's "good side", that Ned's superior honor had truly convinced Baelish to do the "right thing", even as he was mechanistically plotting to betray Ned.

My criticism with that particular scene was that it revealed Littlefinger as the manipulative and devious character that (book readers know) he is far too soon. It should have come after the Throne room confrontation not before it because he's basically just straight up told Ned to his face that he's not to be trusted.