Carly Rae Jepsen heading for second no.1 on the UK singles chart

Mr. ChipsMr. Chips Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
It's going to be a close call, because 'I Really Like You' is just 1000 copies ahead of the current no.1 by Wiz Khalifa, 'See You Again'.

I love the song, but I'm surprised that this level success hasn't so far been matched on the US singles chart.

Comments

• HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    I don't think Carly's airplay in America has been great which would explain why I Really Like You has struggled there.

Then again, it's not exactly taken off in Canada either. I remember when Call Me Maybe shot to #1 in Canada about two months before becoming a massive hit in all other countries. This is Canada whose charts are usually identical to the US Billboard Hot 100.

As for here in the UK, the music channels keep playing IRLY which is one way of promoting your single. It's not a patch on Call Me Maybe though imo and I'm glad she looks set to be #3 on Sunday.

I'm fully hoping Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth get a third week at #1 with the beautifully awesome See You Again.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll probably end up at 3 but still a great result for a great pop song.

We need more good proper pop music like this
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a better song than the abysmally depressing Wiz Khalifa rap-crap and that awfully dull, tuneless 'Cheerleader' by the talentless Omi.
    Get those two off the top of the singles charts and bring back the uptempo pop tunes to take us all into summer with !
  • eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a better song than the abysmally depressing Wiz Khalifa rap-crap and that awfully dull, tuneless 'Cheerleader' by the talentless Omi.
    Get those two off the top of the singles charts and bring back the uptempo pop tunes to take us all into summer with !

Well that's very rude as see you again is a tribute song to Paul, a guy who had died last year, show some respect and I agree about the other song it is utter tripe.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Well that's very rude as see you again is a tribute song to Paul, a guy who had died last year, show some respect and I agree about the other song it is utter tripe.

Being a tribute doesn't make it a good song though, Nice gesture but that is it

As for CRJ i think her song is awful, Using the same word 6 times in a row just seems really lazy
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member

just because a song is a tribute does not mean people HAVE to like it. i think its cheesey and just dull, but its definitely the sort of thing which would get lapped up by the masses.

but as for that Cheerleader song :o:o:o:o awful awful awful. what is wrong with people.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I've heard a piano cover of See You Again on Youtube and its beautiful. Strangely not heard the original :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I never really liked See You Again. It is just another tactical way to gain some sale from dead people. No offense.
    But I am really glad that people are liking IRLY, even tho, it is weaker material from her
  • Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Let's face it, all the songs mentioned in this thread are a load of toss.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Chips wrote: »
    I love the song, but I'm surprised that this level success hasn't so far been matched on the US singles chart.

America will catch up in due course, songs which do very well outside the states on a worldwide basis tend to do well in the states within a few weeks or a couple of months ie Get Lucky, UpTown Funk, Happy, Thinking Out Loud, Wake Me Up etc
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like it! Hope she does get that #1 spot as it is so much better than those other songs in the charts. About time there is some decent pop out there and Carly is a decent singer IMO.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »
    I really like it! Hope she does get that #1 spot as it is so much better than those other songs in the charts. About time there is some decent pop out there and Carly is a decent singer IMO.

I thought she was locked in to get it while it was on preorder. I hope it is no1, quite the summer tune imo and this is coming from someone who loathed Call Me Maybe! But I'm fine with extending the Paul Walker funeral as long as it prevents that Cheerleader dribble getting the spot ugh.
  • MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the end, Carly has only made #3. Not a bad placing at all, but it deserved the #1 spot imo, how that truly awful Cheerleader crap got the #1 spot I don't know; awful song. Would have been happy to see Wiz Khalifa get another week at #1 as well, but it would have been the best outcome if it was Carly. Nice to see the Iggy Azalea/Jennifer Hudson track Trouble make the top 10 though, although it, again, should have also charted higher!
  • Mr. ChipsMr. Chips Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in the end Carly made no.3 - still a very good chart placing after a few years away from the charts :)
  • ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which chart is right? The Radio 1 chart says Carly is Number 1, yet the Big Top 40 says it's OMI... Back in the day when I used to buy singles from Our Price it was always Radio 1 which was seen as the 'proper' chart and Dr Fox on Capital was an imitation! How times have changed :D
    Forum Member
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote: »
    Which chart is right? The Radio 1 chart says Carly is Number 1, yet the Big Top 40 says it's OMI... Back in the day when I used to buy singles from Our Price it was always Radio 1 which was seen as the 'proper' chart and Dr Fox on Capital was an imitation! How times have changed :D

Omi is #1 with Cheerleader which I'm really surprised by. Must have had quite a significant boost yesterday which edged it ahead of Wiz Khalifa.

That said, looking at Kworb I think Carly Rae Jepsen is likely to remain in the top 3 for a second week. I really really really really really really think the song is dreadful though. :cry:
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    I'm not particularly a fan of this song but would have happily seen it at #1 over the absolutely awful Cheerleader :(
  • ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Omi is #1 with Cheerleader which I'm really surprised by. Must have had quite a significant boost yesterday which edged it ahead of Wiz Khalifa.

That said, looking at Kworb I think Carly Rae Jepsen is likely to remain in the top 3 for a second week. I really really really really really really think the song is dreadful though. :cry:

Lol :D it's one of those I really really really don't mind. I actually quite like Carly and Call Me Maybe brings back special memories for me.
    Forum Member
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote: »
    Lol :D it's one of those I really really really don't mind. I actually quite like Carly and Call Me Maybe brings back special memories for me.

Call Me Maybe is a pop classic imo although that song took its time to grow on me. I Really Like You is never going to grow on me.