Newbie Alert CRT to LCD questions

Hi Guys,
Long time member,infrequent poster

i had a 32" CRT,now have the LG 37 LF7700 LCD model,Great.
Or not so great, who said LCD was better than Good old CRT,Pah !!

well,the TV is fine,but the image going to it isnt, sky SD !!

i have the sky SD setup via RGB Scart and experience like most poor quality mainly in movies/dark scenes,ghosting,peoples features displayed weird etc.

after alot of digging i come to the conclusion its sky`s crap transmission of SD channels being picked up by the new snazy LCD great !

So,i thought,maybe the tv would prefer a signal from HDMi,i know scart etc is still good but am thinking maybe the telly would deal better thru HDMi,so phoned up sky and have managed to blag a new sky HD box with an HDMi connector on it but retain my SD package (cant afford the extra for HD just yet !)

So,my question.

Can you change the output to the telly from the HD box from 1080p down to 720p,which i understand is better for SD stuff as its not so concentrated hence doesnt show up the defects in the SD image

This is the telly i have

http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/...v-37LF7700.jsp

cheers for any info,a rather annoyed newbie to the flat panel world, i knew i put it off for some reason,now i remember !!!

Comments

• bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will probably be better off with either 1080i or automatic. Automatic (selects 576p or 1080i depending on whether the transmission is SD or HD) has the advantage of auto switching aspect ratio, 1080i is better PQ if the Sky box upscales better than the TV but you lose auto aspect ratio switching. 720p is unlikely to give as good a picture especially for HD but it's always worth trying it just to check.

You will still get some HD channels even without the HD subscription. HDMI is unlikely to make much of a difference unless the upscaling from the box is better or there was something wrong with your set up before, SCART can often give a better picture for SD because the Sky de-interlacer is not so good.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Auto setting will actually output SD at 576p which then lets the TV do the upscaling to 1080p, which I suspect could be the way to go. I would suggest though that you try the different settings available and make your own mind up as to what presents the best picture. Both the TV and Sky HD box have built in scalers (as you probably know) but it may come down to which does the job better.

Edit: Bobcar beat me to it, the Auto setting would seem to be the best option.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    cheers,will try the settings when it arrives,i think its the telly, i changed inputs and watched Freesat which is direct/builtin the telly and it too did the ghosting/image blur on certain shows, so that kinda rules out the sky/scart/hdmi Issue really.

i have also ordered a replacement telly before i get a refund to give it a chance,maybe a faulty telly ?

well see

cheers
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    The rig wrote: »

i had a 32" CRT,now have the LG 37 LF7700 LCD model,Great.
    Or not so great, who said LCD was better than Good old CRT,Pah !!

37" lcd, you managed to downgrade in size if that was a 4:3. If it was wide screen as well, its fractionally larger.

The rig wrote: »
    well,the TV is fine,but the image going to it isnt, sky SD !!
    i have the sky SD setup via RGB Scart and experience like most poor quality mainly in movies/dark scenes,ghosting,peoples features displayed weird etc.
    after alot of digging i come to the conclusion its sky`s crap transmission of SD channels being picked up by the new snazy LCD great !

So,i thought,maybe the tv would prefer a signal from HDMi,i know scart etc is still good but am thinking maybe the telly would deal better thru HDMi,so phoned up sky and have managed to blag a new sky HD box with an HDMi connector on it but retain my SD package (cant afford the extra for HD just yet !)
    So,my question.
    Can you change the output to the telly from the HD box from 1080p down to 720p,which i understand is better for SD stuff as its not so concentrated hence doesnt show up the defects in the SD image
    This is the telly i have
    http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/...v-37LF7700.jsp
    cheers for any info,a rather annoyed newbie to the flat panel world, i knew i put it off for some reason,now i remember !!!

You feed a digital tv an analog picture its going to look horrible, different levels of horrible based on the level of its conversion abilities. You dont benefit at all going from 1080p to 720p, never mind that at 37" its kinda too small to matter either way. But the fact is the lcd either has 1080p or 720p worth of pixels, all display is always rescaled to the native resolution for final display. Telling the hd box to downgrade the image so your tv will try to rescale it back to 1080p again is just adding yet another layer of loss to the process.