Screen Protectors

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone got any clever tips to get them on properly ?

I know how to get them on "properly", but for whatever reason, every single f**ing time I try, the underside of the protector picks up some dust particles before i apply it to the phone.

I clean the screen (iPhone 4s), I hold it up to the light to make sure it's completely dust free. I slowly peel off the backing sticker and even blow the surrounding area a few times just to make sure and every bloody time it happens !.

If i try to peel the cover back to brush the screen again, it just attracts more dust.

I've just literally gone through six covers trying to get it right, not counting the 3 or 4 i've tried previously over the past week. I'm just about to order another 6 off ebay to try again .. :rolleyes:

Please feel free to point and laugh though :D

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know how to get them on "properly", but for whatever reason, every single f**ing time I try, the underside of the protector picks up some dust particles before i apply it to the phone.

I clean the screen (iPhone 4s), I hold it up to the light to make sure it's completely dust free. I slowly peel off the backing sticker and even blow the surrounding area a few times just to make sure and every bloody time it happens !.

If i try to peel the cover back to brush the screen again, it just attracts more dust.

I've just literally gone through six covers trying to get it right, not counting the 3 or 4 i've tried previously over the past week. I'm just about to order another 6 off ebay to try again .. :rolleyes:

Are you applying the protector gradually - ie, removing only the top part of the backing, sticking it to the top of the phone, and then removing the rest of the backing as you apply it to the phone?

Also I think the quality of the protector matters. Don't buy the cheapest available.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people swear by installing them in the bathroom after the shower has been on so keeping the dust levels down.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim gives a good tip about doing it after a shower - the moisture in the air gets rid of the dust particles. A good way of getting it on right is the hinge method - you create a hinge with sellotape before removing the protective film. Just Google it as there are lots of videos on YouTube.

I always used screen protectors but now I use a pouch. I find this much nicer than a case/protector combo.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't think of the bathroom to be fair - good idea. I was thinking of cleaning the surrounding area with furniture polish first as well, but I'll have a go in the bathroom when the new batch arrive.

The hinge method sounds interesting as well so I'll have a look when I get home. Cheers for the replies :)
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I use a zagg screen guard and never had any problems. Those cheap ones on fleabay that you sometimes get free with cases are crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hhmm .. not overly keen on the idea of spending nearly a tenner on a screen protector.

But then saying that, the total price of all the ones i've tried so far is probably not far off ..

For the record, these are the ones i've had/have re-ordered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321072582549?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    Forum Member
    99p for 3 and free delivery.

You get what you pay for.
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I vote for zagg as well, I have applied them to lots of phones and iPods and always been happy. The key is take time and not rush them, and use lots of water to keep them clean and slidey
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    99p for 3 and free delivery.

You get what you pay for.

I appreciate that completely, but I've always bought these from eBay over the years and never had any issues. I just need to do the dusting a bit more :)
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Stop wasting money.....Go naked....;)
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hhmm .. not overly keen on the idea of spending nearly a tenner on a screen protector.

But then saying that, the total price of all the ones i've tried so far is probably not far off ..

For the record, these are the ones i've had/have re-ordered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321072582549?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I think I spent about £8 off Amazon but it comes with a lifetime guarantee (I've tested it once already after it got a slight scratch after 3 months and they were fine with swapping it).

They seem to go on so much easier than the cheap ones I have r had without bubbles and I'm sure that they don't create as much static that picks up dust.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argh. Managed to scratch my SGP protector for my Note last week, received a new pack today and managed to balls up both screen protectors!!!

Really is pot luck. Last time, I had the PERFECT application - no bubbles, dust or anything. I've tried the bathroom solution and that didn't work either. I think the gods just have to be smiling on you on the day. So, now have an unprotected screen for 2 days until another SGP pack arrives. Just hope I avoid an accident. Annoyed! :-(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    I think the gods just have to be smiling on you on the day

I remember when I had my Galaxy S2. Got a couple of protectors from eBay again for a quid or so. First one I tried went on absolutely perfectly - no bubbles, dust or anything. I don't think i've ever managed to get one on first time like that before that and, clearly, since that as well. So you might be right :)
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried a some of those wet application protectors, including Zagg and found them to be absolutely horrible. They make your screen feel wrong, not smooth like glass should. They are why I gave up on screen protectors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SGP crystal clear ones are, IMO, the absolute best - but you pay for the privilege. When they're on, and assuming you get that rare perfect application, it's actually hard to tell you have a screen protector in place. But if you get dreaded dust particles under it, then it's usually ruined - no amount of lifting off and trying to remove the dust with the adhesive tabs, will save you. Expensive job, trying to keep the phone pristine...
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get some good quality ones and then use the ebay cheapos first to lift any dust from the screen.
    Forum Member
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    The SGP crystal clear ones are, IMO, the absolute best - but you pay for the privilege. When they're on, and assuming you get that rare perfect application, it's actually hard to tell you have a screen protector in place. But if you get dreaded dust particles under it, then it's usually ruined - no amount of lifting off and trying to remove the dust with the adhesive tabs, will save you. Expensive job, trying to keep the phone pristine...

Not really, My original iPhone is still pristine as is my S2. Not a screen protector in sight......It's why they invented Gorilla glass...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you'll all be super excited to know I am now fully protected .. *ahem* :)

Got the latest batch through this morning. First one went on flawlessly until I noticed an errant hair had sneaked underneath the bloody thing. Second one already had a few specks of dust on it when i peeled the back off and the third time, thankfully, was the charm - not an air bubble, dust speck, hair or anything else in sight.

But then knowing my luck as I do, I fully expect that the second i put the phone in my pocket when i go out, one of the corners will catch and it'll peel straight off again.

But then at least i've got 3 spares .. heh :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Not really, My original iPhone is still pristine as is my S2. Not a screen protector in sight......It's why they invented Gorilla glass...

Plenty of stories of screens being scratched, despite having so called Gorilla Glass in place. Some element of equivalent hardness eg, sand, can damage the screen. Just as other hardware aspects of a phone can be prone to an error in manufacture, so can the screen. It's just the one aspect not worth taking a chance on.

Still waiting for my new SGP set. So much for my Amazon Prime next day delivery!!
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=ASIFZED;64392568 Plenty of stories of screens being scratched despite having so called Gorilla Glass in place. Some element of equivalent hardness eg, sand, can damage the screen. Just as other hardware aspects of a phone can be prone to an error in manufacture, so can the screen. It's just the one aspect not worth taking a chance on.

Still waiting for my new SGP set. So much for my Amazon Prime next day delivery!![/QUOTE]

If it's an error in manufacture, get your money back. If it's down to shoving it into a pocket full of keys or change etc. then I doubt even screen protectors can defend against stupidity!!;)
    I checked around acquaintances today. Out of 9 people, with a mixture of iPhones and SGS2/3's only one had a screen protector (it looked awful), but none of them had any scratches...So, as I said GG is pretty tough for daily use...
    Forum Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOW-ZAGG-HTC-Flyer-INVISIBLE-SHIELD-Screen-Protector-/200844045572?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item2ec33ced04

You could buy the above and cut it to size.