Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread, Week #46

13»

Comments

• Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Use dropbox day in day out and not seen any problems.
    I have firefox 42.0 on three machines and see no problems.

This does not so much more than we have seen, but just really showing the missing channels
    Anyway, I have put it here

Do have access to some more images that I will try and get up soon from the Sky Q presentation.

Thanks very much I can see it now. That appears to be the HD only list not the full EPG!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's surprising they haven't gone down the "channel logo instead of name" route for the EPG. Also, why can't they have the font displayed properly, the channel numbers don't even align up properly. Look at 109 compared to 111. It takes away from the look if they can't even get simple little things right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    It's surprising they haven't gone down the "channel logo instead of name" route for the EPG. Also, why can't they have the font displayed properly, the channel numbers don't even align up properly. Look at 109 compared to 111. It takes away from the look if they can't even get simple little things right.

Oh yes hadn't spotted that. What a mess!
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    For Sky Q, as it will only be HD via HDMI, will this mean we will not now have the hd/sd swap channels in the epg.
    The 101 + numbers are the same, but their demos were missing a few channels;
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zglfoxb6oqvz2a7/sky%20q%20tv%20guide.jpg?dl=0

But did wonder if we may be able to setup a channel favourite list. We can do this on sky+ apps, but be great to have this ability within the epg.

Isn't the user just looking at the HD channels on that photo? Same as if you go to the HD tab on the Sky guide today. I can't imagine the channel numbers will be any different to what they are now.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timo_w2s wrote: »
    I can't understand why they have gone for such a low symbol rate. Surely it should be 29.500 just like BT use on 11.386V which is also a 36MHz wide transponder? It suggests to me they aren't using the full transponder now.

That transponder space is 27mhz now like astra old astra 2d frequencies.

DVB-S2X was designed for dsng. The only realistic way to to improve bandwidth is to increase dish size and lower error correction. DVB-S2X can only really improve on dvb-s2 at sky dish sizes with a much tight roll off to increase the SR slightly. For DNSG they increase dish sizes to get the claimed bandwidth, Sky can increase dish sizes for sky Q installs, it's be easy to goto 8psk 29500 3/4 or 8psk 23000 9/10 to get more than 60mbps per transponder.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They surely could have redesigned the EPG a bit better too. Do we really need it squashed into that space so channel names still have to be abbreviated? The area beside it is completely wasted. The preview of what's on the selected channel could surely be moved up, or put back in the top right as the information now displayed there is rather redundant.

I'm sure it runs very smooth and looks pretty in its crisp HD graphics, but if they have a stupid layout, it makes it rather redundant, no?
  • Options
    ken190ken190 Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    That transponder space is 27mhz now like astra old astra 2d frequencies.

So could that mean there is now a few extra MHz free on that transponder for maybe some SCPC links? Obviously the transponder is capable of doing more since its symbol rate was 27500 just like on the Eutelsat 28A 36MHz wide transponders until a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timo_w2s wrote: »
    So could that mean there is now a few extra MHz free on that transponder for maybe some SCPC links? Obviously the transponder is capable of doing more since its symbol rate was 27500 just like on the Eutelsat 28A 36MHz wide transponders until a couple of days ago.

Lyngsat are reporting that 11.386V tp 114 is 29500-3/4 QPSK DVB-S2 and its also saying 11224 V tp 106 is 23000-2/3 8PSK DVB-S2.
    These were both on Eutelsat as part of 72MHz super transponders which is odd as 11224 H tp 105, 11264 H tp 107 and 11264 V tp 108 are all still at 27500-2/3 DVB-S which means they are all still 36MHz tps!
    This means you are right about 11224 V tp 106 23000-2/3 8PSK DVB-S2 there is about 5MHz spare either side of it!

The TPs that did go from 36MHz to 26MHz are tps 89-104 in the 11.45GHz to 11.7GHz band.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Changes to Channel 5 SD over the next 3 weeks:

http://www.sky.com/mysky/latestnews/article/my-sky-updates/2015-11/changes-to-channel-5-in-your-area/

They must be completely removing the former regional versions which will affect any planned recordings for viewers in Scotland, Northern England, Northern Ireland and London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 47 is now available. Please post your observations here. Sorry for the delay this week.

The thread will be changed still on a weekly basis, on Thursday this week
    Week 48 will be posted around 26 November and will run for approx 1 week. Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread week 47 can be found
    Here
This discussion has been closed.