Options

No ball games allowed

Comments

• Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    What points? You basically told me to shut up and put up, and to stop being a grumpy old man. thesloaneranger made more poiganant points in one post than you did in five.
    Actually, I suggested you compromise properly instead of dressing you getting your way up as a compromise. You never actually said what your side of the compromise was.

And if thesloaneranger did make "more poiganant" points, feel free to address those too :)
  • Options
    SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids these days cannot do anything without being criticised by the older generation. Have they forgotten how they always harp on about the good old days when they played out till all hours on the cobbled street outside their homes?:rolleyes:

Across the road from my house there is a green, its right next to a row of OAP bungalows. When I was a kid we played football etc on the green, the miserbale old farts who lived in the bungalows complained to the council who decided to dig up the middle of the green and plant a load of shrubbery. It worked, its stopped the kids playing on the green and ruining the peace of the dear old souls. Now they play football on the road, potentially damaging cars and putting themselves in danger too.

Also the shrubbery planted to stop the kids playing is overgrow, filled with rubbish and looks a bloody mess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hooray for bank holidays, all I can bloody hear is thump thump thump, how inconsiderate :mad:

Please God, make it rain, for the sake of my headache.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh great, the ball just missed my front window, some lad just came and collected it, stepped on the flowers, no apology, no respect, no nothing. I'm very close to calling the police now.

If you hear about multiple child murders on the news tonight, caused by a football forced down a lads throat, chances are, I've finally lost it.
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How old are the kids?

If they're small children then I guess their parents would rather they played outside where they can see them.

I appreciate how annoying it must be. We can get ourselves so wound up about something, to the extent that perhaps we make it a bigger problem than it actually is.

I know it's not ideal, but can you get some headphones to wear when they're playing outside?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh great, the ball just missed my front window, some lad just came and collected it, stepped on the flowers, no apology, no respect, no nothing. I'm very close to calling the police now.

If you hear about multiple child murders on the news tonight, caused by a football forced down a lads throat, chances are, I've finally lost it.

How old are these kids ... roughly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've still not explained your side of this compromise. You haven't even said if you've tried the civil route - talking to them.

Go on, if it's that much of a trouble to you, try acting like an adult and speaking to them about it. Sure, they might tell you to "**** off you old git", but equally they might actually listen and move on if you treat them with a little respect.

If you get the former reaction, then it's time to go calling the police if you must - but really, shouldn't you be trying the adult course of action first?
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't you go outside and ask the kids (as politely as you can possibly manage) to be a bit more careful where they kick the ball.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no way I'm talking to them without a third party, it's a fairly rough area and frankly the parents would probably get violent.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »

Go on, if it's that much of a trouble to you, try acting like an adult and speaking to them about it. Sure, they might tell you to "**** off you old git", but equally they might actually listen and move on if you treat them with a little respect.

If you get the former reaction, then it's time to go calling the police if you must - but really, shouldn't you be trying the adult course of action first?

You know there's a lot to be said for trying this first. I spoke to the little angels who speed up and down on their motorbikes outside and they did tell me to f*ck off, but eventually moved on for the day. They do come back, but the sight of my ugly mug sends them scattering again. Give it a try.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no way I'm talking to them without a third party, it's a fairly rough area and frankly the parents would probably get violent.

It's a rough area and you're worred about kids playing football... ok...

Anyway, I can understand your reservations, but you don't have to be confrontational in this at all. Just go up to the oldest one and say something like "'ere mate, can you do me a favour? I've got a minging migraine and that ball's really not helping. I'd owe you one if you could knock it on the head for the day!".

It's non-confrontational, it's respectful, it's not belittling them or even attempting to tell them what to do. It's making a request, politely, stating reasonable grounds and not accusing them of anything.

Kids can be more receptive than you think.
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give them some chalk to play nice and draw a few pictures, no I forgot they will get an 80 pound fine for that aswell.

I do have sympathy on both sides but it is give and take. Like someone said earlier late at night is out or order. If it is younger kids perhaps their family don't want them to go too far away. Lets face it if anything happened to one of those children half this board would be screaming "Why did they let kids go that far away to play, when they are only 6,7,8 or 9"

It is a hard one to work out. I always played up and down my road and people were ok, not just the ones with families.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was too young to venture out with friends, I'd play in the back garden, not the road.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was too young to venture out with friends, I'd play in the back garden, not the road.

That's nice, but I'm not sure of the relevance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it is nice, and very relevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is nice, and very relevant.

So would some answers as to what your side of this supposed compromise is, and why it's so hard to go and speak to these kids in a civil, non-confrontational, manner.
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but it is nice to meet other children, it's the adventure of growing up. You could have friends around to your garden but the next door neighbours might moan about the noise. No football there either, incase it went over into next door's garden.

There is not that many options, unless it's infront of the tv or playstation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,973
    Forum Member

and when you were a bit older it was school football fields, which you don't see any more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count yourself lucky, I live in a terraced house with terraced houses across the way. No matter how many time we tell the kids off, every dry day they are outside playing curbs.

Parents wonder why we get so angry at them hitting our car and windows !!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curbs... is that the game they play? Try to hit the curb with the ball? I've noticed them playing that as well as football.

Christ, if the parents have got a deathwish for there kids why don't they let them on a motorway and have done with it :rolleyes: Or at least leave them alone in a Portuguese hotel while they go get drunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curbs... is that the game they play? Try to hit the curb with the ball? I've noticed them playing that as well as football.
    It's called "curb ball". :D
    Christ, if the parents have got a deathwish for there kids why don't they let them on a motorway and have done with it :rolleyes: Or at least leave them alone in a Portuguese hotel while they go get drunk.
    Yeah, because playing on a grassy area and playing on a motorway are so equatable.

Still waiting to see what you're giving in this compromise of your's though. Or why you can't go and speak to them in a non-confrontational manner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, at the end of our street we have a concrete playing area, grass playing area(footbal field), skatebaord area and a tennis area.

Yet they like to just play curb ball. We even get kids not from our street playign outside, and it's always my house because I don't have lowered crubs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lostsworld wrote: »
    The thing is, at the end of our street we have a concrete playing area, grass playing area(footbal field), skatebaord area and a tennis area.

Yet they like to just play curb ball. We even get kids not from our street playign outside, and it's always my house because I don't have lowered crubs.

I feel for you, I really do. You should definitely get onto the council about it. Or at least talk to the parents if the area you live in isn't too rough, otherwise it's not worth a stabbing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel for you, I really do. You should definitely get onto the council about it. Or at least talk to the parents if the area you live in isn't too rough, otherwise it's not worth a stabbing.

Well one of them is a drug dealer if that helps shed some light on the kind of neighbours I put up with.
  • Options
    LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had to tell a boy to stop kicking a ball against my wall and windows. I felt a bit mean, but I'm sure he won't be coughing up if he smashes my windows.