Favourite Tea Bag

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find I need a change from any tea after a while, so I've temporarily gone back to the Aldi Gold. Punjana is another good one though.

I can't be doing with any of these fruity concoctions. I'm amazed they are allowed to be described as teas when they don't actually have any tea in them.
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I find I need a change from any tea after a while, so I've temporarily gone back to the Aldi Gold. Punjana is another good one though.

I can't be doing with any of these fruity concoctions. I'm amazed they are allowed to be described as teas when they don't actually have any tea in them.

They're not, they're usually called "infusions" if you look.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I love tea and drink plenty of it, but I really can't distinguish between the brands. I've had PG Tips, Tetley and Yorkshire Tea over the last few months and it all tastes the same to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I love tea and drink plenty of it, but I really can't distinguish between the brands. I've had PG Tips, Tetley and Yorkshire Tea over the last few months and it all tastes the same to me.

Well they all taste the same because all three of those brands use the same blend of tea (or very similar.)

Buy some decent loose leaf tea. Trust me, you can tell the difference. Hell, even just switch to Twining's Breakfast Tea for instance, you'll tell the difference.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything which anybody has made a cuppa for me to slurp at*

I'm a tea monster with a grubby palate; if it hot, with not too much milk, no sugar I'm happy.

*The caveat being; it's got to be 'normal' tea, none of this peppermint/fruit/herbal stuff. Tea from a tea plant, not other random vegetation.:)
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being new to tea drinking, the.. noveltea hasn't worn off yet. So currently drinking some Twining's 'Lady Grey'.. which was best before 2011 but still seems drinkable. Assuming tea just loses some flavor over time & doesn't really go off.. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Grey is an insult to Earl Grey in my opinion but each to their own :)

And no, tea doesn't really go off, just loses its flavour. Be careful with some types of Chai tea however as they may contain milk powder, which obviously does go off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    Lady Grey is an insult to Earl Grey in my opinion but each to their own :)

Earl Grey is on the to-do list. This stuff tastes kinda fruitea, and the Earl Grey says it tastes more of Bergamot. I have no idea what that tastes like though, so will find out later :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Earl Grey and Lady Grey contain bergamot. Lady Grey is just fruitier.
  • Michael09Michael09 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst on the subject can anyone recommend a good decaf Tea bag. I have tried the ones offered by PG Tips & Tetley but hate them. Are there any decent ones out there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    Both Earl Grey and Lady Grey contain bergamot. Lady Grey is just fruitier.

Hmm.. I can taste the lemon & orange, and also a bit of a lime flavor which I guess may be the bergamot. Quite impressed how much flavor and aroma these have retained though.

But can anyone recommend a 'simple' black tea? So far I've tried..

Whatever the NHS served
    Waitrose silver
    Waitrose fair trade gold
    Lady Grey

Figuring I ought to sample a basic tea before I get too carried away with more exotic blends and flavours..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so I tried Earl Grey. Tasting notes.

An initial soapyness followed by a citrus hit.

Here endeth the note. I.. think I like it. It's a more subtle flavor than the Lady Grey which tastes a lot more citrusey to me :)
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Waitrose Essential teabags £2.00 for 160, are as good as any for an everyday cuppa.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite enjoying Typhoo just now, it's got a nice, strong flavour. Twinings Breakfast teabags used to be nice, but I think they changed the blend a while back, fairly weak tasting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can anyone recommend a 'simple' black tea?

Twining's Assam.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was disturbed not to find Punjana in a large Tesco the other day. Then turning the corner, I noticed a display of various Irish-made produce on the end of the aisle - among which were three types of teabags from Barry's Tea.

I didn't try any, as I'm well stocked with tea just now, but if they're planning to carry it instead of Punjana, I will be very disappointed if it's not as good. :(
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,064
    Forum Member
    I was disturbed not to find Punjana in a large Tesco the other day. Then turning the corner, I noticed a display of various Irish-made produce on the end of the aisle - among which were three types of teabags from Barry's Tea.

I didn't try any, as I'm well stocked with tea just now, but if they're planning to carry it instead of Punjana, I will be very disappointed if it's not as good. :(

Barry's Tea is great but the one to go for is the one in the black box "Classic Blend". Sadly they don't sell it in the UK though.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Punjana is my favourite now. I used to drink Assam.
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    Punjana is my favourite now. I used to drink Assam.

I'm on the Yorkshire Tea Gold now, very good. Would people say Punjana is better than this?

Gold is apparently a blend of Assam, Kenyan and Rwandan leaves. What I would say though is Yorkshire leaf tea is much nicer than the bags.

Does anyone also just put the leaves striaght in the cup (that's what I do) or do you have some sort of contraption?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Barry's Tea is great but the one to go for is the one in the black box "Classic Blend". Sadly they don't sell it in the UK though.

Get ye to Tesco then, because I'm sure that was there. There were three kinds, and the one missing was the Decaf I think.

Thanks for the advice - if there had only been one sort there I would have taken it to try, but as often happens I was deterred by the amount of choice! I'll know next time.
    Forum Member
    Get ye to Tesco then, because I'm sure that was there. There were three kinds, and the one missing was the Decaf I think.

Thanks for the advice - if there had only been one sort there I would have taken it to try, but as often happens I was deterred by the amount of choice! I'll know next time.

No the black box version isn't on sale in Tesco. Only the green or red coloured ones unfortunately. There's many Tescos round here with Irish sections and I've checked them all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No the black box version isn't on sale in Tesco. Only the green or red coloured ones unfortunately. There's many Tescos round here with Irish sections and I've checked them all.

Oh! There were definitely three versions where I was (Abingdon). I'm sure the decaf wasn't one of them, because I wouldn't have considered it. I remember thinking, how could I possibly choose one out of three. No, I'm positive the black box was there. It does show up on the Tesco website.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Barry's is my favourite, but thought it was only available in Ireland. I hate going to Tesco but I might make an exception for that.
    I am intrigued by the love for punjana. I will seek it out.

I found a monthly tea box subscription the other day, think they post from India. The name escapes me and I can't afford it right now but it might be on my Christmas list. :)
    Forum Member
    Oh! There were definitely three versions where I was (Abingdon). I'm sure the decaf wasn't one of them, because I wouldn't have considered it. I remember thinking, how could I possibly choose one out of three. No, I'm positive the black box was there. It does show up on the Tesco website.

Interesting. It wasn't for months on end, they must have added it. We only have the Irish sections in the Express stores round here. Is the Abingdon one a Superstore or an Express?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. It wasn't for months on end, they must have added it. We only have the Irish sections in the Express stores round here. Is the Abingdon one a Superstore or an Express?

It's the biggest kind - Extra I think they call them.

It's the first time I've seen an "Irish section" in any of them. I only saw it by chance, so anyone just looking for tea would likely miss the Barry's Tea. There was none with the rest of the teas. It annoys me a bit when they do this. By all means have a themed display, but make sure each item is represented where people would look for it as well.