£1,049 2560 x 1700, 3:2 Touch Chromebook

alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2282454/Chromebook-Pixel-Google-launches-touchscreen-laptop-Apple-Microsoft.html

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromebook_pixel_wifi
Very much a copycat tactics in putting something in the showroom that few may ever buy.

Useful for a small business wanting security and prestige maybe.

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a lot of money for a limited machine to be honest. If I was paying that much i would go for a Mac, touch screen or not.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd buy a Mac as well.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missing from the Google blurb..

"Exclusive non-asthetics for that "eewk" that shows you are both rich and lacking in taste"

Google are to Apple what ASDA are to Waitrose (Microsoft are Tesco)

Google have too-much-money syndrome clearly.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »
    I'd buy a Mac as well.
    You might but people going about their business might snap this up.

Obviously its priced up for scarcity in order to maintain that semblance of prestige.
    Interestingly £1000 was once the target price for middle and upper management laptops.
    I can only see very slow big corporate take-up here though.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those specs are totally wasted on Chrome OS.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll need great eyesight with that fine resolution on that small screen won't you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll need great eyesight with that fine resolution on that small screen won't you?
    Could be worse, could be a Retina iPad.
    Or worse a Nexus 10 tablet.
    Or worst, a tiny iPhone 5

Useful for maps and photo type presentations, but for general use it is certainly another show pony.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'd rather buy my third Mac.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Android, Chrome and the Nexus but this device doesn't do anything for me - especially at the price tag.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Modern operating systems like Android, WebOS and to a degree Windows 8 scale to the screen dimensions rather than the pixel density so text on a high res screen like this one will the same size as on a lower res display, it will just be a lot crisper and clearer.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    Modern operating systems like Android, WebOS and to a degree Windows 8 scale to the screen dimensions rather than the pixel density so text on a high res screen like this one will the same size as on a lower res display, it will just be a lot crisper and clearer.

That's good to know, whenever I've got a new monitor with higer resolutions I just find everything has got smaller but there's more of it to see of course.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good to know, whenever I've got a new monitor with higer resolutions I just find everything has got smaller but there's more of it to see of course.

That's because the elements aren't being scaled on your monitors. You can change the DPI to be higher (e.g. 150%) to make everything larger and easier to see.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An i5 to run ChromeOS? Really?!
    Surely it would be barely ticking over....
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm tempted by Chromebooks generally, but would only spend half of that on a laptop of any description. I have no need for Windows now (haven't used MS Office in years) and no desire to use OS X.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Missing from the Google blurb..

"Exclusive non-asthetics for that "eewk" that shows you are both rich and lacking in taste"

They are quite shameless about it, in a Google style.

Genuine description of a 'feature' on their website:
    "Lightbar - Just because it looks cool."

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebook-pixel/#tap#lightbar
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top end screen, Top end chassis, I assume the point Google are trying to make and I think this has floated over some peoples heads is that you are paying for the hardware - the OS is effectively free :D

Now consider what you could get for that price range Windows/Mac where you are paying for the software/hardware combo. Does it not seem such a good deal? I was considering purchasing a new ultrabook, but I may go with the Pixel as I understand it runs Chrome and Linux.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    I think ChromeOS includes Adobe Flash Player, and some of the more sophisticated Flash games can require a fair bit of processing power.

It seems reasonable to think that the same might be true of some games implemented in HTML5 but with that I'm guessing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would find a Chromebook with 16:9 15" (or larger) screen and a decent sized keyboard quite tempting, if the price was right. Unfortunately all the current models are netbook sized.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »

And some insist on an i7 for browsing the web + youtube.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    Top end screen, Top end chassis, I assume the point Google are trying to make and I think this has floated over some peoples heads is that you are paying for the hardware - the OS is effectively free :D

Now consider what you could get for that price range Windows/Mac where you are paying for the software/hardware combo. Does it not seem such a good deal? I was considering purchasing a new ultrabook, but I may go with the Pixel as I understand it runs Chrome and Linux.

osx mountain lion is available for stand alone purchase from apple at ---- £13.99

not exactly a large part of the cost of a mac book is it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    osx mountain lion is available for stand alone purchase from apple at ---- £13.99

errr .how does that work considering others are saying it is now an incremental update.

As such it would thus need purchase of earlier versions even before any attempt to use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »

Hardware to Hardware its equivalent - or do you think its not :confused:
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it !

What is the use of this hardware spec just to run a web browser and email?

Surely you'd want this spec for an OS that runs some useful software.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of web-based programs and services nowadays, although I've no idea how much client computer processing power each of them requires:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Web_based_applications
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it !

What is the use of this hardware spec just to run a web browser and email?

You can do quite a bit more then that. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/home (Plus all the usual Google Apps/Docs).
    I guess it's aimed at execs who want a bit more then a tablet, and not worried about cost - but want something small and light. It's got premium looks and nice spec. I notice 128GB model has LTE and a very stingy data allowance bundled for 2 years. Still there are small ultrabooks which are a much better deal.

Personally I'd go for the base model 11" Macbook Air if I was given the choice between these two.