Options

BBC HD channels not working for some since the "S2" change

Comments

• Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So am I the only one for whom a "new installation" has fixed the problem?

Since my new install, I've tried 4 different regions viewing cards and all now work fine.

There's a few on the BBC blog complaining (including me) you can see that here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/06/changes_to_bbc_hd_channels_on.html#comments
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    my samsung box has lost the bbc1hd and bbchd will try a reboot
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    reboot worked

BBCHD all working for me
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    So am I the only one for whom a "new installation" has fixed the problem?

Since my new install, I've tried 4 different regions viewing cards and all now work fine.

There's a few on the BBC blog complaining (including me) you can see that here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/06/changes_to_bbc_hd_channels_on.html#comments

Alix Pryde who wrote the original blog has replied. But his reply is awaiting moderation!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the OP could change the title of this thread. These problems are affecting channels/EPG in England & Scotland(Wales as well?), so the Irish part is no longer relevant??
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the OP could change the title of this thread. These problems are affecting channels/EPG in England & Scotland(Wales as well?), so the Irish part is no longer relevant??

I was just thinking that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only the mods can do that, so the OP would need to contact them to request a change of title.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll ask him to alert the mods.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Alix Pryde who wrote the original blog has replied. But his reply is awaiting moderation!!

HER - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/biographies/biogs/staff/alix_pryde.shtml
    She has a PhD in theoretical Physics .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

Her reply has now been moderated and is there.

Basically, it's a cop out
    The vast majority of FreesatHD and SkyHD receivers have coped with the change as expected in a straightforward manner. But I realise that is little comfort for people experiencing problems with their own receivers, and I know that must be very frustrating for you. My advice is to call your receiver manufacturer, or Freesat (08450 990 990) or Sky (08442 411 653) as appropriate. The BBC has been working closely with our two platform partners both before and after implementing this change, including in planning and testing the change and then on the best way to resolve specific problems that a small number of viewers have experienced today.

So they have been "testing it" eh? Funny how nobody noticed the test transmissions from Astra 2D in DVB-S2 prior to the switch then.:D

Just who does she expect a freesat from sky viewer should call? Sky say it's not their problem. What response would you get by calling thomson? (or Amstrad, or Samsung)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HER - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/biographies/biogs/staff/alix_pryde.shtml
    She has a PhD in theoretical Physics .

Maybe she needs a PhD in how to use a remote??:o:o
  • Options
    Timothy BryceTimothy Bryce Posts: 1,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her reply has now been moderated and is there.

Basically, it's a cop out

So they have been "testing it" eh? Funny how nobody noticed the test transmissions from Astra 2D in DVB-S2 prior to the switch then.:D

Just who does she expect a freesat from sky viewer should call? Sky say it's not their problem. What response would you get by calling thomson? (or Amstrad, or Samsung)

Is it not sky's problem if they supplied you with the box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it not sky's problem if they supplied you with the box.

I bought my box from ebay, and my (old blue) viewing card came with a different second hand box. so why would sky be interested in me?

The only people sky will listen to are subscribers, and then probably only if they pay for a call out, or threaten to cancel.

And if sky do come out, the most you will get is a box swap for a refurbished box, losing your recordings in the process.

And would sky then seek to recover their costs (possibly justifiably) from the BBC who "broke" it and caused the problems?
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This better get sorted out and quick otherwise im cancelling the lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they have been "testing it" eh? Funny how nobody noticed the test transmissions from Astra 2D in DVB-S2 prior to the switch then

BBC R&D has a complete DSAT and DTT chains from playout to RF for them to "play with" .. thus doing testing as thoroughly as you can do without emission ( which might take down everything)

They cannot check out every freesat Box - after all it is a horizontal platform - but as many/most of the boxes do work - it think they checked this quite well.
    as far as Sky is concerned - Sky would say that one version of their box was identical to the other - But I am sure they have a few different types just to be sure...

This is NOTHING NEW - we had issues with TV sets with every single digital signal delivered since 1972 .. and when we did a changed there were always a few issues - . even to changing what VBI lines particular Ceefax magazines were on .. !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC R&D has a complete DSAT and DTT chains from playout to RF for them to "play with" .. thus doing testing as thoroughly as you can do without emission ( which might take down everything)

They cannot check out every freesat Box - after all it is a horizontal platform - but as many/most of the boxes do work - it think they checked this quite well.
    as far as Sky is concerned - Sky would say that one version of their box was identical to the other - But I am sure they have a few different types just to be sure...

This is NOTHING NEW - we had issues with TV sets with every single digital signal delivered since 1972 .. and when we did a changed there were always a few issues - . even to changing what VBI lines particular Ceefax magazines were on .. !

So now the BBC have identified there ARE issue with some boxes, will they be seeking to get hold of some "problem" boxes, taking them to their R&D facility, and making the necessary tweaks to make them work?

If so then viewers can be assured the problems will "be fixed" some time.

If not, then tough, you are on your own.
  • Options
    dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How pathetic is this, if i phone up sky they will say there is nothing they can do. Clearly a cock up on behalf of the BBC. So seeing that we cannot access the correct symbol rate on our boxes we should be entitled to a new box. BBC have supposed to have worked closely with Sky on inplementing this so why is we cannot receive the Channels. Unless Sky release a statement addressing the problem we should get new boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now the BBC have identified there ARE issue with some boxes, will they be seeking to get hold of some "problem" boxes, taking them to their R&D facility, and making the necessary tweaks to make them work?
    If so then viewers can be assured the problems will "be fixed" some time.
    If not, then tough, you are on your own.

At one level you could say why should BBC who are transmitting a stream which is complaint to the agreed standards ( and Probably certified by at least one platform operator) and which is decodable by the vast number of viewers equipments do anything ....
    but I am sure that the relevant manufacturers have already been contacted ... but they (alone) know how their boxes work. - they also have a very nice test stream delivered FOC to their premises ... and I am certain that others are winging their way on DVD.

One issue is that doing a tweak for one situation can introduce problems with every on else ... unless retesting is done for everything .. !
    but BBC R&D/ Siemens know what they are transmitting - in great detail - and so the STB etc manufacturers know their end .. But it is their problem.. which is your, the few viewers problem ...
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Distribution have outdone themselves. First there was the 1080i/1080p implementation on BBC HD on Freeview HD which mucked up Sony TVs in March (with a fix only on the way at the end of this month), and now this.

Clearly compatibility of changes with viewers equipment is not of concern to the BBC - they will do what suits them with no testing of the effect on end users, and make changes with zero notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Distribution have outdone themselves. First there was the 1080i/1080p implementation on BBC HD on Freeview HD which mucked up Sony TVs in March (with a fix only on the way at the end of this month), and now this.

Clearly compatibility of changes with viewers equipment is not of concern to the BBC - they will do what suits them with no testing of the effect on end users, and make changes with zero notice.

AS I have previously commented - there is a lot of testing done - it would be fool hardy not to ..
    BUT they cannot test every TV set made
    and in the case of the Sony is it logical that doing something in the video codec then knocks holes in the Audio.... !!!

Basically that is what the DVB Specs and the UK Profiles/ platform specs cover - interoperability ( Strange that is what the title of the D book is)

I do tend to agree about the public notice - but we all know that S2 was going to happen but actually would a month's notice made it much different to those other that the PC card and a few others who needed to buy S2 decoders,

The platform operators would have had good notice -of the actual switch and technical parameters as is for at least one required contractually.
    They and the BBC would have spoken to the Manufacturers and others
  • Options
    sarge99sarge99 Posts: 473
    Forum Member

Sorry but that's not true. :eek:

Many boxes especially the older Thomson's and Amstrads are still running pre-Darwin software on their Sky boxes - it's these ones that are primarily reporting the issue.

It's therefore highly likely that the old Sky EPG software isn't capable of dealing with the new transmissions correctly - especially when the viewing card is inserted (i.e. it's having to potentially do some interpretation of viewing restrictions etc).
  • Options
    bogsterbogster Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Reporting in:

Amstrad box in London
    Modded/750GB disk
    Model DMR-V19
    ver 4F3006
    1.32B12
    sky+9.10.14v

Not working on 143 and 169.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a media centre PC (HTPC) fitted with a Hauppauge Nova-S2 card. But I can't receive BBC's H.D. channels using either the supplied software or Windows 7 Media Centre. Must be a driver issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarge99 wrote: »
    Sorry but that's not true. :eek:

Many boxes especially the older Thomson's and Amstrads are still running pre-Darwin software on their Sky boxes - it's these ones that are primarily reporting the issue.

It's therefore highly likely that the old Sky EPG software isn't capable of dealing with the new transmissions correctly - especially when the viewing card is inserted (i.e. it's having to potentially do some interpretation of viewing restrictions etc).

Some 4E3004s(like mine) can't cope with the new SR & FEC changes. Others can. Some 4E3007s can cope whilst others can't. So it's more complicated than saying it's pre-Darwin or old EPG software.
  • Options
    sarge99sarge99 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Some 4E3004s(like mine) can't cope with the new SR & FEC changes. Others can. Some 4E3007s can cope whilst others can't. So it's more complicated than saying it's pre-Darwin or old EPG software.

Not denying there may also be hardware tuner issues - my issue was with the statement that Sky would say one box is the same as another. It isn't.

The older the box the more likely the tuner hardware is likely to be restrictive - especially if it's only capable of receiving certain symbol rates/FECs.

It is a fact though that the older EPG was more restrictive in it's tuning capabilities.