Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 6)

Comments

• kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Don't faint! But I actually enjoyed those two episodes :eek:

The Pollards: Val finally getting some insight and apologising for her behaviour was nice to see, and all the more so because such honesty is so rare from her. Val's horrified face was a sight to behold when Pollard suggested putting Kerry up for the night :D And I loved Pollard with the ticket inspector waving his stick about about the extra charge - how many of us have felt like that at some point? :D I think it's going to be bye-bye to Brenda soon. Amy might have caused them to split but it looks like mutual worrying over her is bonding the Pollard's together again.

Amy and Kerry scenes were entertaining. The actress who portrays Kerry is playing a blinder but my God does Kerry feel sorry for herself? There'll be trouble ahead as she is entirely self-centred, it's all about her and what she went through/suffered and her idea of going out with Amy to talk is to 'hit some bars' :rolleyes: I wanted to slap her when she said "you don't know what it was like for me" but has she asked what it was like for her daughter? She just sees Val and Pollard and the nice house in the country but Amy's been there less 2 years and Kerry has no idea what she was going through the 6 years before that! Horrendous woman - but the actress alone is going to be worth it :) Oh those crafty PTB, they've got me sticking up for Amy!

But how does Amy have such a strong Geordie accent. I definitely got the impression that she'd been in Yorkshire a while but I might have got that wrong. Kerry's accent totally understandable but Amy's?

The Spencers: OMG, they're starting to grow on me! *faints* Amelia could only get cuter if they put a brush through her hair - but don't let my mum hear me say that! She'd do all sorts of lovely creations with my hair only for me to be out the house half an hour before I'd pulled the bands, clips and ribbons out and I was looking like a close relative of Worzel Gummidge :o Anyway, I digress. Amelia is a little cutie pie who I am liking more than more, she seems to be able to act a bit which is always a bonus in a child character. Good casting ED.
    Dan the Man made me laugh with his tears at the Christening and telling Jude he'd played a blinder while it has to be said Jude looked a tad scared :D He was so moved he parted with £20 - I hope the moths that flew out of his wallet found a new home! Is it me or are they making him a better, more interesting character all round? He's growing on me too.
    Ali and Ruby - Ruby softened Ali's coarseness in these scenes. Nice to see Ali's hair down instead of in that angry looking pony tail she wears. I don't know if I'll ever come to like her properly but the support she is giving her sister at the moment is admirable and her daughter's baptism has brought out a softer side which should have been viewed long before now. But I think SB wanted to 'keep her real' - BIG mistake IMO and it's made her very hard to like. Ruby I've quite liked for a while, as another poster said, putting her in the cafe has helped considerably (strange how it has the opposite affect on Brenda.)
    I'm still ignoring Sean and his twisty face (not literally twisty, but is that boy EVER happy?)
    Which leads me to Rachel who if you didn't know better would believe she has been diagnosed with some grave, debilitating and terminal condition rather than just being pregnant! A situation which (to put it bluntly) can be sorted out if it makes her this unhappy. I'm bloody SICK of seeing her miserable mug cluttering up my TV! :mad: As others have rightly said SHE was there, SHE was a willing participant and this isn't something that just happened to her without any input. She can either let Jai be involved or not. She doesn't have to do a damn thing he says. She owes him absolutely nothing so where is the problem exactly? Jai's thinking of himself first and foremost so she should do the same. She has a supportive family who'll all pull together for her which is more than some lasses in her position have.

I know David was supposed to be a bit tipsy but what on earth would possess him to confess all the to annoyance that is Priya? Oh don't tell me: Priya's going to want him, is going to get him even if he looks slightly bewildered about it and when Alicia comes back they'll be the old love triangle with Alicia breaking her heart that he's taken up with Priya and Priya lording and crowing about it while the lovely but lily livered David wonders how the hell it all happened. You heard it here first.

Although I admire David for taking in Jaycub and looking after him, I can't say the same about his decision not to go to the prison in future because 'it's hard when somebody's got the hots for you'. Coward. He could turn up just to give Alicia something to look forward to considering it was her defending HIM that got her into trouble in the first place. Where has the 'it's all MY fault' guilt stricken David from the court room gone? But more importantly, this decision just doesn't seem like David to me. He's a nice lad and I just don't think he would do this to her. Although there is the argument that he's doing enough looking after her son and that he's still angry that she married him under false pretences.

These are my abiding memories from last night, if anything else happened I've forgotten about it.

EDIT: Just remembered Victoria got dumped - can't say I'm surprised but in her position I'd be a bit miffed about getting chucked by him too. I just don't see the attraction of Alex myself although I was warming to him before he lost Ashley his burger joint job - I still haven't forgiven these two for THAT so I'm a bit prejudiced :mad: And did I imagine it but was Priya actually a bit nice with Victoria, trying to help her out etc? Her heart was in the right place but what I actually like about Victoria (and Amy) is that she doesn't have the 'false' look which is so fashionable now. No dyed blonde hair, ridiculous false eyelashes, heavy make up and skimpy clothing - although they both have the bronzed look but in Amy's case she's been tangoed! :D

Lotty what I liked about Amelia in particular last night was the way she literally had to order Rachel to change her tracksuit for the christening, Rachel didn't seem to understand that she was supposed to dress up.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Lotty what I liked about Amelia in particular last night was the way she literally had to order Rachel to change her tracksuit for the christening, Rachel didn't seem to understand that she was supposed to dress up.

I'm surprised that her trackies didn't need to be surgically removed :D But you have to wonder if anyone could be so dim?! (Rachel not Amelia) If something's happening in church e.g. wedding, christening, even attending you should really dress up a bit, it's where the term 'sunday best' comes from, putting your glad rags on for church. Has Rachel been living under a stone not to know this? Does she usually just wear 'special occasions' trackies? I would love for Priya to give HER a makeover never mind Victoria. The actress looks lovely when she's not at work though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amy and Kerry scenes were entertaining. The actress who portrays Kerry is playing a blinder but my God does Kerry feel sorry for herself? There'll be trouble ahead as she is entirely self-centred, it's all about her and what she went through/suffered and her idea of going out with Amy to talk is to 'hit some bars' :rolleyes: I wanted to slap her when she said "you don't know what it was like for me" but has she asked what it was like for her daughter? She just sees Val and Pollard and the nice house in the country but Amy's been there less 2 years and Kerry has no idea what she was going through the 6 years before that! Horrendous woman - but the actress alone is going to be worth it :) Oh those crafty PTB, they've got me sticking up for Amy!

Yeah your right Kerry did really feel sorry for herself last night but i think with her all about me attitude is that she was trying to explain to a understandably hostile Amy about what her life is like in hope it will get her to accept her again i think as we get deeper into the story i think Kerry's attitude will switch from herself to Amy especially tonight
    when she finds out all about Kyle!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah your right Kerry did really feel sorry for herself last night but i think with her all about me attitude is that she was trying to explain to a understandably hostile Amy about what her life is like in hope it will get her to accept her again i think as we get deeper into the story i think Kerry's attitude will switch from herself to Amy especially tonight
    when she finds out all about Kyle!

I'm surprised Amy tells her so quickly TBH, unless it's done in an angry fashion.

I can understand Kerry's desperation to make Amy remember what she sees as the good stuff but at the end of the day you can't leave young children by themselves so it's no wonder the social services swooped and took Amy into care. And he self-pitying mewing that it was the social services who kept her away from her daughter, how could she fight THEM etc were a load of baloney! She has made zero effort to stay in touch with her daughter apart from hedging her bets twice a year with an Xmas and birthday card just in case.

Before they get anywhere Kerry is going to have to face her past and stop looking back with rose tinted glasses. Basically it sounds like she went to work and left her child alone because she was bringing home the bacon. But

a) we have a welfare system in this country that supports women like Kerry financially, if she couldn't get babysitters she could have given up her job. Did she even try and negotiate different shifts, find another job with better hours etc? She could have worked just a couple of days a week and had her income topped up by benefits. And,

b) by the sounds of it Kerry's primary motivation for going to work (in a pub) was the men she met there and having a good time - NOT providing money to raise her child. By the sounds of it I don't think she's changed much!

Until Kerry faces all of this, listens to her daughter's side of the story and stops trying to put a positive spin on the undefendable they are going to get absolutely nowhere, if I was Amy I'd be enraged by her.

I would have more respect for Kerry if she held her hands up, admitted she was completely wrong but she was young, daft and just couldn't cope by herself but there's nothing she regrets more than losing contact with (what looks like) her only child and she hoped that Amy could one day forgive her.

But that would be FAR too easy for a soap wouldn't it? :D And as much as I'm kicking off I'm enjoying their scenes.

I'm harsh now but I'm a total softy and know that eventually I'll end up feeling sorry for Kerry :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Amy tells her so quickly TBH, unless it's done in an angry fashion.

I would hazard a guess its going to be exactly that said in the heat of the moment.
    I can understand Kerry's desperation to make Amy remember what she sees as the good stuff but at the end of the day you can't leave young children by themselves so it's no wonder the social services swooped and took Amy into care. And he self-pitying mewing that it was the social services who kept her away from her daughter, how could she fight THEM etc were a load of baloney! She has made zero effort to stay in touch with her daughter apart from hedging her bets twice a year with an Xmas and birthday card just in case.

Well sufficed to say, Kerry would never have imagined she would have ever got the opportunity to reconnect with Amy again. She made some very bad decisions but there maybe a real urge to make it up to her. Amy certainly did not hold many punches back from yesterday's episodes. Certainly the "your a waste of space" and "it was not a one off it was every week" comments certainly demonstrated to Kerry how much she is going to have to do just to make Amy like her let alone love her.
    by the sounds of it Kerry's primary motivation for going to work (in a pub) was the men she met there and having a good time - NOT providing money to raise her child. By the sounds of it I don't think she's changed much!

Maybe we are going to learn of Kerry's mum also abandoning her setting in motion the domino effect all the way back to Kyle. We do need to hear her back story as well as hers and Amy's

Until Kerry faces all of this, listens to her daughter's side of the story and stops trying to put a positive spin on the undefendable they are going to get absolutely nowhere, if I was Amy I'd be enraged by her.

Again I really think to really create a multi-dimensional storyline, we need to hear about Kerry's back-story as well as her's and Amy's but I agree Kerry needs to show serious signs of making strides to really make it up to Amy. At the moment Amy is rocked to the core, gone is the tough front normally seen from her, she can go either way. That in itself is interesting, Amy is on a knife edge and could undo all the healing Val and Eric have helped her to attain.
    I would have more respect for Kerry if she held her hands up, admitted she was completely wrong but she was young, daft and just couldn't cope by herself but there's nothing she regrets more than losing contact with (what looks like) her only child and she hoped that Amy could one day forgive her.

I think that day may come but Kerry needs to grow up a little first.

But that would be FAR too easy for a soap wouldn't it? :D And as much as I'm kicking off I'm enjoying their scenes.

I'm harsh now but I'm a total softy and know that eventually I'll end up feeling sorry for Kerry :o

I do feel for Kerry and have enormous sympathy for her.
  • tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not wanting to tread on Kwynne's toes, I know present my Emmerdale League table:

Premier League (Top Quality):

Amelia
    Bob
    Charity
    David
    Eric
    Gennie
    Jacob
    Jude
    Noah
    Rishi
    Sarah
    Val

Blue Square League (Not The Best But Not The Worst):

Amy
    Andy
    Ashley
    Arthur
    Belle
    Brenda
    Cain
    Cameron
    Chas
    Declan
    Edna
    Gabby
    Jai
    Jimmy
    Katie
    Kerry
    Lizzie
    Moira
    Nicola
    Nikhil
    Paddy
    Pearl
    Priya
    Rhona
    Rodney
    Ruby
    Sam
    Samson
    Zak

Sunday Pub League (For Those More Useless Than A No Legged Horse):

Adam
    Alex
    Ali
    Carl
    Debbie
    Laurel
    Lisa
    Marlon
    Rachel
    Robbie
    Sandy
    Sean
    Victoria

Not Eligible (due to being incarcerated and not seen, or just not seen):

Alicia
    Betty
    Diane
    Turner

Updates to follow as and when necessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be an awful lot of typing going on since I last looked at the thread, excellent analysis Lotty, I don't agree with all the points but great all the same. There were times when I thought I was watching Geordie Shore (not that I ever have) although I have seen the trailers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cookieshop wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess its going to be exactly that said in the heat of the moment.

Yes probably when Kerry's once again saying "you don't know what it's like!".

I wonder if Kerry will feel any guilt at the fact that her daughter would rather give away her child rather than risk dragging him up like she was? Because ultimately that was why Amy gave him away, for a better start in life.
    Well sufficed to say, Kerry would never have imagined she would have ever got the opportunity to reconnect with Amy again. She made some very bad decisions but there maybe a real urge to make it up to her. Amy certainly did not hold many punches back from yesterday's episodes. Certainly the "your a waste of space" and "it was not a one off it was every week" comments certainly demonstrated to Kerry how much she is going to have to do just to make Amy like her let alone love her.

I hope Amy does make it hard for her. I wouldn't say this at all if Kerry had made an effort to stay in contact with her but she didn't citing lame excuses. I'm not saying for one moment that Kerry doesn't nowadays regret her actions but she didn't regret it enough to get in contact with social services and try and arrange a meeting, or even to forward letters etc. That we know of (which might be very relevant) she made zero effort. Perhaps she was frightened of rejection but at least no one could say she hadn't tried.
    Maybe we are going to learn of Kerry's mum also abandoning her setting in motion the domino effect all the way back to Kyle. We do need to hear her back story as well as hers and Amys

TBH I would prefer it if they didn't go along those lines. Plenty of girls come from good mothers/parents/nice homes but can end up being a 'Kerry'. They could write it that Kerry's parents finally got fed up of her behaviour and threw her out or that she took herself away from them as they were too boring and square for her because they tried to stop her having fun (as she saw it). Either way she lost contact with them so they probably didn't even know about Amy. That to me would be a turn up for the books rather than just having them repeating learned behaviour. Just make Kerry a one off cuckoo, they do occur in life and families.
    Again I really think to really create a multi-dimensional storyline, we need to hear about Kerry's back-story as well as her's and Amy's but I agree Kerry needs to show serious signs of making strides to really make it up to Amy. At the moment Amy is rocked to the core, gone is the tough front normally seen from her, she can go either way. That in itself is interesting, Amy is on a knife edge and could undo all the healing Val and Eric have helped her to attain.

This is one of the best aspects of the storyline for me seeing Amy's reaction :)

I'm more interested in this storyline than I have been anything on ED for quite a while. They can stick Maurel where the sun don't shine, it can't hold a candle to this.
    I do feel for Kerry and have enormous sympathy for her.

It's the actress. She's great at portraying vulnerability even when the character is making excuses and mouthing off. Can you imagine the woman who plays Ali in the same role? We'd be baying for her blood by now she'd come over as so hard! :D

And although I can't quite say I feel sorry for Kerry yet - she's too pushy, in your face and annoying in her victim mentality for me, I AM curious and interested in her :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    There seems to be an awful lot of typing going on since I last looked at the thread, excellent analysis Lotty, I don't agree with all the points but great all the same. There were times when I thought I was watching Geordie Shore (not that I ever have) although I have seen the trailers

I know tinkie, I've got a bit carried away today :o I must be feeling inspired by something actually worth watching on ED! :D Thanks though tinkie, that to me was always the best thing about this thread, folks could disagree but not resort to insulting or name calling :)

And have you got those subtitles ready for Amy and Kerry scenes tonight? I have to say they both have quite strong accents for TV, I expected them to be more diluted! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took 'em long enough to give us a new thread, eh! :D
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AAAAAARRRGGHH.Why didn't they drag Amy back in and bolt the door to keep Kerry out while the going was good :eek:
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    Took 'em long enough to give us a new thread, eh! :D

They were hoping we'd keep going until we fell off the edge of the world, but it didn't work. Bwahahahha! :D
  • dobby's bludgerdobby's bludger Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tjbantam wrote: »
    Not wanting to tread on Kwynne's toes, I know present my Emmerdale League table:

Amelia
    Bob
    Charity
    David
    Eric
    Gennie
    Jacob
    Jude
    Noah
    Rishi
    Sarah
    Val

Amy
    Andy
    Ashley
    Arthur
    Belle
    Brenda
    Cain
    Cameron
    Chas
    Declan
    Edna
    Gabby
    Jai
    Jimmy
    Katie
    Kerry
    Lizzie
    Moira
    Nicola
    Nikhil
    Paddy
    Pearl
    Priya
    Rhona
    Rodney
    Ruby
    Sam
    Samson
    Zak

Adam
    Alex
    Ali
    Carl
    Debbie
    Laurel
    Lisa
    Marlon
    Rachel
    Robbie
    Sandy
    Sean
    Victoria

Alicia
    Betty
    Diane
    Turner

why have you included lisa sandy and victoria in your sunday league team they are not useless:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why have you included lisa sandy and victoria in your sunday league team they are not useless:(

I'm afraid I think they are, Victoria especially. And where's Dan on any of these lists? :confused:
  • Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I think they are, Victoria especially. And where's Dan on any of these lists? :confused:

and Adam should be on the not seen list atm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and Adam should be on the not seen list atm

Nah, he's another Sunday Leaguer! ;)
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the double episode yesterday and though, "Hmm, this is getting interesting this Amy/Kerry thing.

But then the other shoe dropped and we had farmboy topless yet again, boring. I remember when Thugden used to have his top off at every opportunity, before he got hooked on the brown sauce that is! Sorry, not into over muscled torsos, give me skinny wimps every time.:D. I liked the christening scenes, I really like the little girl Spencer.

Went to watch tonight and what is the first thing I see? That pair of twerps Maurel. Thought at first they were talking to each other before I saw the baby. Anyone notice how he (btw I refuse to use their names) said "they've deigned to let me have Leo for a few hours". What a prize pig, and then she starts in with her little digs about Rhona and Paddy taking him away, and he says "for ever" or some such nonsense, its for two years you plank not forever. I know no one is going anywhere, but that woman and that twonk really sent the blood pressure soaring. If this carries on I shall have to get a note from the doc to say it is safe for me to watch.

I'll have to go back to reading this forum and then Virgin+ the omnibus and ff the bits with those two asterisks in it.
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Watched the double episode yesterday and though, "Hmm, this is getting interesting this Amy/Kerry thing.

But then the other shoe dropped and we had farmboy topless yet again, boring. I remember when Thugden used to have his top off at every opportunity, before he got hooked on the brown sauce that is! Sorry, not into over muscled torsos, give me skinny wimps every time.:D. I liked the christening scenes, I really like the little girl Spencer.

Went to watch tonight and what is the first thing I see? That pair of twerps Maurel. Thought at first they were talking to each other before I saw the baby. Anyone notice how he (btw I refuse to use their names) said "they've deigned to let me have Leo for a few hours". What a prize pig, and then she starts in with her little digs about Rhona and Paddy taking him away, and he says "for ever" or some such nonsense, its for two years you plank not forever. I know no one is going anywhere, but that woman and that twonk really sent the blood pressure soaring. If this carries on I shall have to get a note from the doc to say it is safe for me to watch.

I'll have to go back to reading this forum and then Virgin+ the omnibus and ff the bits with those two asterisks in it.

What I cannot stand with Marlon is the fact that he was really nasty tonight with the way he was talking about Rhona. For goodness sake Rhona gave birth to the little lad and she has as much right as Marlon in looking after him.
  • Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, he's another Sunday Leaguer! ;)

as a former Sunday League player I take offense to that remark... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Kerry again in tonights episode! That scene with Amy and Kerry at the swings was just magical! My ice cold black heart was breaking for poor Amy telling her about situation with Kyle! She had great humour in the episode her stalking up David and telling Priya details of Amy's birth were very lol! :D

I know that this borderline saying this but Rachel is about 3 weeks pregnant isnt she! So she could miscarry that kid pretty easy so why not wait until the "Safe" 3 month period for Jai to tell Charity about the child!

And also Marlon and Laurel continue to sicken me! :mad:

And David and Nikhil continue to amuse me! :D
  • tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa is in the bottom division due to the way she has gone from being the only sane Dingle to a complete nightmare for no reason.
    Victoria hasn't done anything in months except force her way into jobs that nobody wanted her to fill and become a gobby little madam.
    Sandy is there cos he's encouraging Maurel. Lifetime promotion ban possibly?

As for Dan, serves me right for expecting ITV's website to be up to date considering they still have Georgia and JOHN BARTON listed! Consider Dan a mid carder...for now.
  • mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    These are my abiding memories from last night, if anything else happened I've forgotten about it.
    :eek: Worra post Lotty :D I must tune in again some time :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    What I cannot stand with Marlon is the fact that he was really nasty tonight with the way he was talking about Rhona. For goodness sake Rhona gave birth to the little lad and she has as much right as Marlon in looking after him.
    It's all setting it up for the huge Marlon and Paddy Split

However Rhona has also not been very kind to Marlon over the last month of episodes not wanting him to join them in New Zealand.
    I loved Kerry again in tonights episode! That scene with Amy and Kerry at the swings was just magical! My ice cold black heart was breaking for poor Amy telling her about situation with Kyle! She had great humour in the episode her stalking up David and telling Priya details of Amy's birth were very lol! :D

And also Marlon and Laurel continue to sicken me! :mad:

And David and Nikhil continue to amuse me! :D

David and Nikhil were fantastic last night.

Amy opening up to Kerry about Kyle was heartbreaking its going to be an emotional roller coaster every episode those two are in for a while.
    Especially when Kerry steals from the B&B

Kerry is going to be a handful that's for sure, but surprise moment for me was Victoria's reaction to when she see's Amy and Kerry walk into the Woolpack. Unintentional deadpan humor from Isabel Hodgins.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tjbantam wrote: »

Amelia
    Bob
    Charity
    David
    Eric
    Gennie
    Jacob
    Jude
    Noah
    Rishi
    Sarah
    Val

Amy
    Andy
    Ashley
    Arthur
    Belle
    Brenda
    Cain
    Cameron
    Chas
    Declan
    Edna
    Gabby
    Jai
    Jimmy
    Katie
    Kerry
    Lizzie
    Moira
    Nicola
    Nikhil
    Paddy
    Pearl
    Priya
    Rhona
    Rodney
    Ruby
    Sam
    Samson
    Zak

Adam
    Alex
    Ali
    Carl
    Debbie
    Laurel
    Lisa
    Marlon
    Rachel
    Robbie
    Sandy
    Sean
    Victoria

Alicia
    Betty
    Diane
    Turner

Oh good one like this

er try and avoid my toes, they are very sensitive heh.
  • dobby's bludgerdobby's bludger Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm rapidly going off marlon because of his attitude towards paddy and rhona:mad:
This discussion has been closed.