• FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    Charlie wrote: »
    Ready for Virgin's return? ;-)

Either that or Magic Breakfast.
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he is fine presenter and will grace the airwaves of any station he moves on to.
    he deserves a slot on Radio 2, a contender to replace Steve Wright instead of the usual dirge they inflict on us.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Could he be replacing Grimmy?
  • PlanetPlanet Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard him announce it this morning; big shame as he's a great presenter, but I always thought Absolute could have made more of him rather than just plugging competitions on the station.

Hopefully he won't be leaving radio altogether.
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:o
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    PhilH wrote: »
    :D:D:o

Sorry, I went all 'occy' there for a minute. I'm better now.
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planet wrote: »
    Heard him announce it this morning; big shame as he's a great presenter, but I always thought Absolute could have made more of him rather than just plugging competitions on the station.

Hopefully he won't be leaving radio altogether.

as did I this is a shock
  • Sun Glasses RonSun Glasses Ron Posts: 17,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great DJ -one of the best during the daytime
    I hope he will get another gig as he will be great loss to absolute radio

Could he not go back to breakfast as COC gives me a headache first thing in the morning

Plus the 101 plugs for the breakfast show during the day must encourage 1000's to switch off -its like sleep depravation!
  • nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is staying with Absolute after all, doing the Saturday football warm-up show. And maybe this means he could do some football stuff with TalkSport like before?
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No he's a bit too old. Greg James will probably replace Grimmy on breakfast in September 2017. I expect some big changes around the time of radio 1s 50th anniversary.
    It's about time Russ moved on though.He's been doing that show almost as long as Ken Bruce !
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is staying with Absolute after all, doing the Saturday football warm-up show. And maybe this means he could do some football stuff with TalkSport like before?

That's not a bad shout, although I'm not sure where exactly they'd be able to fit him in during weekdays or on Sundays.

As you allude to, he has presented sports shows on talkSPORT in the past - notably he hosted their Weekend Sports Breakfast for a number of months in 2009 after Andy Townsend and Mike Parry moved to the weekday mid-morning show, doing Saturdays and Sundays alongside his weekday programme on Absolute Radio.

Obviously with his Rock 'N' Roll Football Live commitments on Saturdays due to continue into next season, there's little chance of him being able to host something like that again, but I could see him perhaps being a cover host on talkSPORT shows like Drive Time or Kick Off in midweek.
  • mark mayhewmark mayhew Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    A great DJ-love his morning show.

I like the idea of him taking over from the dire Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,375
    Forum Member
    No he's a bit too old. Greg James will probably replace Grimmy on breakfast in September 2017. I expect some big changes around the time of radio 1s 50th anniversary.
    It's about time Russ moved on though.He's been doing that show almost as long as Ken Bruce !

That's an ageist statement the BBC have been in trouble for selecting presenters on age in the past and won't make that mistake again, I think Russ would really go down well with the kids on 1FM.
  • YorkstarYorkstar Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Good dj have listend to him for years defintely has that proper unique voice for radio will be missed through the morning.
  • dlmccabedlmccabe Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the finest. Big loss to the Absolute line up
  • james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A safe pair of hands for a morning show, made it sound effortless bit like Danny Baker does with his style.
  • BrettskiBrettski Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Gutted Russ is going always been a massive fan of his . Wouldn't be surprised if he gets Magic's breakfast show. Hope Leona Graham or Sarah Champion gets his slot
  • 19741974 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that at the bottom of the article it says the new daytime line up will be announced in May. Intimates there might be more changes than simply naming a replacement for Williams.
  • Costa StarbucksCosta Starbucks Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Noticed MartIn Collins has been tweeting a lot in the past few days about the great music being played on absolute
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed MartIn Collins has been tweeting a lot in the past few days about the great music being played on absolute

I count exactly one Tweet, referencing exactly one song.

https://twitter.com/MartinCollins_M/status/595607983528218625
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin would be a fine replacement for Russ. He's wasted on Magic.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    That's an ageist statement the BBC have been in trouble for selecting presenters on age in the past and won't make that mistake again, I think Russ would really go down well with the kids on 1FM.
    1FM? It isn't 1990 you know? Russ isn't suited to the demographic of Radio 1 and Russ would know that himself. And when have the BBC got themselves in trouble for selecting presenters by their age?
  • abertomabertom Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No news on the new lineup then? Digiguide still has Russ on at 10am in June and Absolute are usually good at getting early reliable schedules