Is Dr Who now the BBC's flagship show ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
Forum Member
I certainly think so along with Top Gear it probably makes more money for the beeb than any other of their shows what with worldwide sales and merchandise profits. I think and hope it's here for a very long time yet... What do you think

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly is this week!
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice twist to the tale, considering how badly it was treated when Grade was in charge...
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's just what I was thinking, Cy.
    I wonder what Grade thinks of Doctor Who's current high status at the BBC? Bet he still hates the show, the miserable git...
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure Top Gear and Doctor Who are the BBC's biggest money-spinners abroad. Doctor Who probably does good business from its merchandise at home, too (far better than action figures of Jeremy Clarkson, anyway :p)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    far better than action figures of Jeremy Clarkson, anyway

The obvious solution hear is to make Clarkson the next Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member

The stig could be the next master. Richard the new Strax, and James... James could just be James.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    That's just what I was thinking, Cy.
    I wonder what Grade thinks of Doctor Who's current high status at the BBC? Bet he still hates the show, the miserable git...

He has said that the show still leaves him cold but he admires how far it has come since the classic era. I'll see if I can find a link.

ETA: Found one - http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-04-02/michael-grade-i-think-the-bbc-has-become-too-bureaucratic
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

James May as the Doctor, Richard Hammond as the annoying companion, and Clarkson as the Master.

It could work as a Comic Relief sketch. After all, what is the TARDIS but an overgrown garden shed? May loves tinkering with gadgets and making pointless things, Clarkson loves destroying things, like trees and wildlife, and Hammond just tags along...
    Forum Member
    Stig takes the Tardis around the track. Shatters time.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has said that the show still leaves him cold but he admires how far it has come since the classic era. I'll see if I can find a link.

think he doesn't mind modern who so much... but doesn't like sci-fi of any kind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXQX0P52MU
  • MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James May should be the next Doctor! (Only for something like Comic Relief mind) - he stands there facing a fleet of Daleks and utters: "Oh cock." Genius.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MODTL wrote: »
    James May should be the next Doctor! (Only for something like Comic Relief mind) - he stands there facing a fleet of Daleks and utters: "Oh cock." Genius.

Exactly - glad it's not just me that thinks this would be a tremendous idea.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James May as the Doctor, Richard Hammond as the annoying companion, and Clarkson as the Master.

It could work as a Comic Relief sketch. After all, what is the TARDIS but an overgrown garden shed? May loves tinkering with gadgets and making pointless things, Clarkson loves destroying things, like trees and wildlife, and Hammond just tags along...

This. :)
    Forum Member
    May takes a Cyberman apart, confident he can rebuild and reprogramme it. Hilarity ensues.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly - glad it's not just me that thinks this would be a tremendous idea.

Great minds. :D
    **looks in mirror after regenerating into James May**

Oh, cock.
    James May.

'You see, I can get the TARDIS working again if I adjust the pressure here to between 30 and 45 percent, but it's better if it stays right about 40 to 42 because over here I've got to calibrate the time differential to exactly 20,564,101 chronons per cubic light year, which converts to parsecs as about 712,463,349.7 ... I'll have this in a minute. ... Right, that's got it, now we engage the time rotor there and throw this lever and the universe is ours! .......... Oh, cock.'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Comic Relief - are you reading this??
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Tardy wrote: »
    I certainly think so along with Top Gear it probably makes more money for the beeb than any other of their shows what with worldwide sales and merchandise profits. I think and hope it's here for a very long time yet... What do you think

I believe that Top gear is the biggest money earner for the BBC followed by Dr Who. So yes its one of the flagship programmes.YES James May for the next Doctor !
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would be awesome!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James May would have a TARDIS shaped like a Dacia Sandero.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Answering the OP... No I think that's Strictly isn't it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Answering the OP... No I think that's Strictly isn't it?

Id say Dr Who as a drama slightly shades it ... Personal opinion mind ......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Dr Who was their flagship show they would not be giving us one episode in 18months. Their flagship show is Strictly Come Dancing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    If Dr Who was their flagship show they would not be giving us one episode in 18months. Their flagship show is Strictly Come Dancing.

I agree, I think its probably Strictly.
  • Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    May as the new Doctor & Hamster as his little side kick companion -yeah that will hold the viewers like a Pertwee 6-parter (Green Death the exception).

Just picture it, we are now into episode 4, the all too familiar shot of the inside of the Tardis with Captain Slow at the controls and Hammond going "So, are we there yet??"
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am afraid that all of your fine Comic Relief ideas will have to wait.

Malcolm Tucker hasn't faced a Dalek, yet.